CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-19-2005, 06:52 AM   #1
Chris Forbis

Profile:
The USDA isn't real popular in nutrition circles (at least, THIS nutrition circle). They are revising the food pyramid though, which was introduced in 1992. Incidentally, the average American has gotten fatter since that time. Linked below. It doesn't really seem that it has gotten much better, speaking from my perspective in the Zone camp.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/diet.....ap/index.html

"Advice from the government's dietary guidelines, which were released in January and served as the basis for revising the familiar food pyramid:

Eat your veggies: 2 cups of fruit and 2 1/2 cups of vegetables a day.

Daily bread: Eat 3 ounces of whole-grain foods a day.

Got milk?: Drink 3 cups of fat-free or lowfat milk a day.

Just say no: Eat as little trans-fatty acid as possible.

Salt of the earth: Keep sodium to less than 2,300 mg a day, about 1 teaspoon of salt.

Moderation: If you drink alcohol, keep it to one drink a day for women and two for men.

Work out: Exercise at least 30 minutes a day to reduce the risk of chronic disease. Increase it to 60 minutes daily to prevent weight gain and up to 90 minutes daily if you've lost weight and want to keep it off."
Old 04-19-2005, 07:11 AM   #2
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Chris,
You beat me to it, I just cut to paste it here!

btw, Anyone want to take a shot at guessing how much obesity costs taxpayers every year?
Old 04-19-2005, 07:57 AM   #3
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I don't even want to think about it Frank. Just makes me angry. And living here in Memphis, which is consistently voted one of the most unhealthy cities in America, I get constant reminders.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:06 AM   #4
Troy Archie

Profile:
I think this is solid advice. You have to remember who the target group is that this is made for. Sure for people that want optimum/elite health and fitness it's quite laughable but when the majority of people skip breakfast, have 1-2 enormous meals a day, eat fast food 3-4 times a week, eat meals that are completely unbalanced containing at times only high GI carbohydrates and get no exercise, those few changes can make a huge impact.

I personally don’t blame this guide or any guide for people’s obesity and low health levels; I blame the people.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:31 AM   #5
Scott Kustes

Profile:
It's a step in the right direction. Only troublesome thing I see is "make half your grains whole". Shouldn't they all be whole? Obviously less fat, fruit, and veggies than most of us would like to see people eating, but not everyone is as fanatical as us.

Here's the website: http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/index.html
Old 04-19-2005, 11:12 AM   #6
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Hmmmm. . .
2 alcoholic drinks per day. So, if I wait until Friday, I can have 8 beers and be OK?? Well, that's what I've been doing anyway.

Obesity and smoking are the 2 biggest drains on our nation's health care. It's why it's a damn shame healthy people (like us, for the most part) have to suffer through trauma center closures, higher premiums, HMO hassles and the like. Although the government does what it can through the food pyramid and some changes in the public schools, nothing will change until families decide to get more active with each other and parents start to encourage their children to get outside at an early age and put down the chips! I see way too many kids who are obese by age 11. Then I meet the parents, and Surprise!! They're huge as well! Not often I'll see parents who are fit with obese kids, but it happens. Usually, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and then it's left to rot on the ground because the kids are too busy eating Cheetos and drinking Coke!!

Sorry for the rant and hijack. It's a sore spot for me!
Old 04-19-2005, 12:43 PM   #7
Troy Archie

Profile:
I'm in Canada so excuse my ignorance as to how you guys run the show down there.

So you guys have to pay for the same healthcare premiums that people who are overweight, smoke and live unhealthy lifestyles?
Old 04-20-2005, 09:32 AM   #8
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Troy,
Speaking from my experience only, my employer (a school district) pays my HMO premiums and I pay a $5 co-pay when I see a doc. Problem is, a greater number of employees in our district are on a preferred provider plan (PPO), seeing their docs, paying their co-pay, and draining our district dry. Why? The PPO plan costs more in the long run as everything is billed at the phyisician's standard rate, not at an HMO rate, which can be lower. We have a huge number of older, obese employees (I've seen them, especially at my school!) who are now being treated for diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol (sp?), and other weight related issues. Their prescriptions alone cost my district more than I care to guess. We also have a bunch of former smokers, current alcoholics, and some addicted to drugs. All put a drain on our funds. So, in the long run, my district is thinking of upping the co-pays for the people on the PPO plan (which costs the district a lot more) and making me pay more for my HMO (which saves them money) just to be "fair" to the people on the PPO.
In short, I get screwed (as do my dependants) because of the failings of others!
/end rant
Old 04-20-2005, 09:58 AM   #9
Clay Jones

Profile:

Rod, we have similar plans in my district, however those belonging to the PPO's pay a higher premium than do members of the HMO (kaiser), so there is more than one way to skin this cat.

It's probably a waste of time, but you should talk to your union rep about it. Composite rate plans (what your district is doing) may not be strictly legal--We had a similar setup where we lumped married and single payers in to one group and charged everyone the same rate, which meant that single people ended up subsidising married couples. You should have seen the loooks I got when I stood up in the meeting and spoke out against it! in the end, they discontinued the practice.

*I don't want to hijack the thread, but god, I hate the word "fair"--I'm sick of hearing students, teachers, and parents whine about fairness. I want to respond with "you made a choice, now shut up about it!" but I never do.*
Old 04-20-2005, 02:23 PM   #10
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Clay,
I hear you!

Back to the thread.