CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-15-2004, 03:21 PM   #11
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
And What about the Oatmeal and Peanut butter thing. I do this about twice a week (using regular oats, slow cooked on the stove, and chunky peanut butter) -

Is this a good substitue for cereal?
Old 12-15-2004, 05:05 PM   #12
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Jeremy,

I'm definately not the nutritional expert of the board or anything, but some of the things you mentioned sparked a few memories of old posts. Just brainstorming the ideas here:

-Some people don't count the fish oil as part of their daily fat intake and still get the required fat blocks through other (though still healthy) sources (i.e. nuts, olives, etc.).

-The Kirkland brand is pretty 'clean' as far as fish oil tablets are concerned. It's possible to take up to 15 capsules a day with no negative side effects (outside of fish tasting belches) that I've heard of.

-Oatmeal and peanut butter is probably better than cereal but the large amount of n-6 fatty acids present in the peanut butter will greatly reduce the benefits sought from the fish oil. Almond butter would be a better choice, but might not mix as easily w/the oatmeal.

I hope this helps. Good luck in the ring Jeremy.

Ryan
Old 12-16-2004, 07:24 AM   #13
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Natural peanut butter is a must, the other stuff is sugar. Also ramp up the protein with three tablespoons of chocolate protein powder (I like Biotest Grow).
Old 12-16-2004, 04:26 PM   #14
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
okay I feel like an idiot. . . I have the protein powder next to the peanut butter and I didn't even think of that.

I have a store called 'Andronico's' near where I live, they actually have a machine that allows you to make 'butter' out of any nut you want. You just dump the nuts in - that is some pretty natural nut-butter.

I wonder if it is expensive (I haven't bought any in a while), I think I will pick some up tonight.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:49 AM   #15
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
got some 'almond butter' for $5.99 a pound. Tastes good, but you better have some milk or water handy.

I used it today in my oatmeal, with some protein powder and some extra milk. Good stuff.