CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #21
Kevin McKay

Profile:
So Monday I felt like I was on glue but today I feel great good energy/mental clarity. So eating all the fats "fatty red meats, whole-fat cheeses, bacon, heavy cream" I love it, but am I going to have a coronary during one of my wod's?
Old 09-13-2006, 05:09 AM   #22
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Personally I keep my saturated fat intake to less than 10% of daily calories...try to get other fats from X-virgin olive oil, almond butter, flaxseed oil, grassfed beef....eat healthy and smart I say.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:34 PM   #23
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Mike, there are allot of "smart" people on this board that would probably say that "saturated fat intake to less than 10%" is bs, and flax seed is inferior to fish oil as it has a less direct pathway. I made the above statement in the hopes of hearing from some of the high fat advocates as to how this works. Pasquale advocates fatty red meats, whole-fat cheeses, bacon, heavy cream and butter. I am just trying to wrap my head around how this works because my first knee jerk reaction is coronary as well, but this is new territory and I want to understand. I am happy to say that on day 3 of only 30 grams of carbs I feel great and have allot of energy and mental clarity no fatigue or headaches as I feared.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:52 PM   #24
Jesse Woody

Profile:
From the studies cited in his books, it seems that there is a much greater correlation between carbohydrate intake and lack of activity and heart-disease than there is with saturated fat intake. The oft-referenced Inuits is a good example. Living almost exclusively off of whale blubber and meat, with hardly any known heart disease until they are exposed to refined carbohydrates.

In a way, it seems that the jury is still out, but the more you read the more interesting it gets. I'm sure Rob has more to add, but I had to get my .02 for the day in :p
Old 09-13-2006, 07:03 PM   #25
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I recently got a physical and will get another one for referance after a month of MD.

hdl 69
ldl 154
triglycerides 59
Old 09-13-2006, 07:12 PM   #26
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I understand the sat fat debate, personally I have not researched it to the extent where I am willing to take a risk. I think sat fat can also vary between sources such as grass fed beef and non organic beef. Fish oil is far superior to flax oil and the only reason I mention it is as a substitute for x-virgin olive oil to increase my daily intake. Of course our bodies and how they respond is always changing so I consider myself to be a work in progress...determining what makes me feel best.

I do know that a higher fat, mod protein, mod-lower carb diet, no sugar/bread/dairy does make me feel healthier and have better sleep, get up earlier, better performance in sports and feel good all day long.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:22 PM   #27
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I'd just try to keep some balance on the fatty acids. Grain fed meat has waaaaay more satd fat and n-6 fats than we are wired for IMO. End of the world if you eat more of that? Likely not but I'd try to get a lot more mono's and make sure to sup w/n-3's.

One other thing: Cops and deployed military personel may not want to tinker with this. Life and death struggles and decided with your glycogen stores. With this way of eating one will nto have much glycogen most days.

(Message edited by rwolf on September 13, 2006)
Old 09-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #28
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Rob,

Doesnt the metabolic diet provide the 5 on/2 off to carb load? Also I've seen versions that also add the PWO drink for glycogen replenishment. Would that be enough glycogen replenishment for an active job like law enforcement while still having enough dietary fat to burn most of the day? (Isn't that the purpose of the diet to switch from a carb dominant metabolism to a fat based one and still have enough muscle glycogen for when you need it?)

Robb is much smarter than me...so I just come to be corrected much like my high school science teacher always did..and they can't blame that fire on me...that bunsen burner was defective...yeah that's it.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:39 PM   #29
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Sorry..part 2 of the question for Rob.

Say on the Zone, you are 21 blocks with3-5x fat. Now you are only getting 21x9=189 grams carbs/day. If you modified the metabolic diet to have 200 daily carbs, but 150 come from the post workout meals withing 1 hour or so..would that not go more to replenishing muscle glycogen?

I know the pwo meal (protein and carbs only, no fat) is not recommended, but just throwing out there for discussion.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:17 AM   #30
Jesse Woody

Profile:
That's an interesting idea along the lines of the T-Dawg 2.0 diet on T-nation. The only reason I can seriously doubt the efficacy of that is the fact that it seems like they wanted a diet they could call their own that would allow the largest amount of supplement sales.

I do think there may be some benefit to restricting carbs to some extent throughout the day and packing as many as possible around exercise. This may allow you to mix the AD/MD and Zone for some of the hormonal benefitso f the lower carb idea along with the ability to keep glycogen topped off.