CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-04-2016, 03:41 PM   #1
Tai Kaneakua

Profile:
Rogue Chan Bar

I was stuck between the CHAN BAR & OHIO POWER BAR.
For my reasons alone i personally like the center knurl & wider none-knurl of the CHAN BAR ( for deadlifts ) along with the dual marks on the bar compared to the OHIO POWER BAR.

I think the CHAN BAR is an all-around bar for me.
I have read many reviews and looked into what type of training i will be doing ( Powerlifts, Oly-Lifts, CrossFit ).

The topic here is i don't care for Black-Zinc coating so i contacted ROGUE FITNESS and learned that you can order this bar in BARE-STEEL like the OHIO POWER BAR, Done deal order in cart!

ROGUE delivers again!!!

Now just waiting on the release date of the ROGUE MONSTER-LITE YOKE
as in the 2015 CrossFit-Games.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
Tai Kaneakua

Profile:
Re: Rogue Chan Bar

Has anyone had the chance to compare Chan-bar to the Ohio Power-Bar???
Old 01-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #3
Daniel OBrien

Profile:

I have both as well as a Euro WL bar.

The Chan was my first bar - it's a great multi-purpose bar. I used it for everything - squats, bench, cleans, DLs, OHP, etc. Bill was extremely generous and sent me a OPB to review. The OPB is in a different league as far as knurling - I do NOT want to clean or do any high rep movement with it. Your hands/neck would hate you.

Right now, the OPB stays inside my power rack for squats and bench. The Chan and Euro WL are outside the rack. I think the Chan is the best non-DL specific bar I've DL'ed on. The knurling spacing is perfect for my conventional deadlift.

I think the Chan is one of the best multi-purpose bars out there. It can do anything. But if you have some extra coin, it's always nice some more specific bars. Like if you got an Rogue OPB for the power movements and then a Rogue WL training bar (or even the WL bar) for olympic weightlifting movements, that would save some time (you wouldn't have to keep moving only one bar around) and the bars would be more specialized. But if you are just getting ONE bar, it's hard to beat the Chan.

Last edited by Daniel OBrien : 01-08-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #4
Joey Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel OBrien View Post

The Chan was my first bar - it's a great multi-purpose bar. I used it for everything - squats, bench, cleans, DLs, OHP, etc. Bill was extremely generous and sent me a OPB to review. The OPB is in a different league as far as knurling - I do NOT want to clean or do any high rep movement with it. Your hands/neck would hate you.

Right now, the OPB stays inside my power rack for squats and bench. The Chan and Euro WL are outside the rack. I think the Chan is the best non-DL specific bar I've DL'ed on. The knurling spacing is perfect for my conventional deadlift.

I think the Chan is one of the best multi-purpose bars out there. It can do anything. But if you have some extra coin, it's always nice some more specific bars. Like if you got an Rogue OPB for the power movements and then a Rogue WL training bar (or even the WL bar) for olympic weightlifting movements, that would save some time (you wouldn't have to keep moving only one bar around) and the bars would be more specialized. But if you are just getting ONE bar, it's hard to beat the Chan.
Well said Daniel. I totally agree, and that is my preferred bar setup at this point. One 29mm "power" bar, one 28mm Oly bar, and one 28.5 multi-purpose. If you're only shooting for one bar, the Chan is outstanding. And that Chan Bar in bare steel is gonna be a beauty!
Old 01-09-2016, 01:42 AM   #5
Tai Kaneakua

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel OBrien View Post

Daniel-
Your response is much appreciated! The idea of getting specialized bars is definitely the most efficient way to go, but as you stated it's gonna take some coin ( but i see the value in that ).
I am approaching this Garage-Gym Build very carefully! Being from Hawaii the cost of shipping really takes some time & thought making sure you have the most important items in your cart, then later adding equipment to your Garage-Gym build.
For me the countless hours, forums & reviews have taken the better course of about 3 months, carefully not being too overly excited about pulling the trigger on the items in my cart.
I have probably changed the order in my cart about 3-4 times and also got 2 different quotes from Team Rogue trying to justify the Craaazy cost to get equipment to Hawaii.
My dilemma is making the choice to prioritize the right equipment on the first shipment for the sake of saving on shipping.
The Cornerstone of my Garage-Gym Build is the Monster-Lite Yoke which should be available for order in about a month, along with #300-Bumpers, Chan Bar, Games Box, Slam-Ball, SISU War-Hammer, Ballistic-Block, SR-1 Speed Ropes.
Not at all interested in the Y-Series Yoke, the 3X3 Monster-Lite Series along with attachments is Massive!!!
The Yoke is such a Multi-Use piece which can be used for Squats, Bench, Sled Push-Pulls, Yoke & Zercher carries etc. Coupled with Matador, Safety Spotter-Arms, MonoLift & Monster Utility Bench w/ Fat-Pad.
I think i'm off to a solid but costly start.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:47 AM   #6
Tai Kaneakua

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Allen View Post
Well said Daniel. I totally agree, and that is my preferred bar setup at this point. One 29mm "power" bar, one 28mm Oly bar, and one 28.5 multi-purpose. If you're only shooting for one bar, the Chan is outstanding. And that Chan Bar in bare steel is gonna be a beauty!
Joey-
The Ohio Power Bar was my other choice but i think the Chan Bar is more of a all-around bar to start with.
Eventually the OPB will be added to the stable. Currently on order as a X-Mas present from the GF is the Condor LCS Plate Carrier Vest w/ a pair Rogue 8.75Lb. Weight Plates, totals out to 20Lbs.
Rogue Fitness has the Condor Sentry Plate Carrier Vest on their site but i chose to go with the LCS model for a few dollars more, Rogue only offers the Sentry for now. After watching the 2015 Games "Murph" event i kinda liked the Tactical 5.11 vest but at $250.00 no deal! Welcome "CONDOR" line of Tactical-Military spec products that fills the void for $115.00 more coin for more Rogue equipment for the Garage-Gym Build.
I will be posting pics. of my Garage-Gym Build when things start to arrive, and also reviews of all the items i will be ordering from Rogue-Fitness. Stay-Tuned!