CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-21-2014, 05:15 AM   #1
Nate Daniel

Profile:
How long to develop good mobility?

Hey guys I am just trying to figure out how long it took to develop mobility and flexibility, specifically in your hips, ankles, and hamstrings? I have always squatted low bar, wide feet, and had a lot of forward lean. Since starting Crossfit, I have decided to change that so I can perform snatches/overhead squats, and wondering how long until I can expect to see progress. Currently I am doing this routine in the morning and evening: WFS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZtpyNAXyzw WFS

As well as the couch stretch 2 times a day for 2 minutes each side, and accumulating 10 minutes in the squat trying to push my knees out and focus on dorsiflexion based off of MobilityWOD.

Is this routing going to do the trick?
Old 08-21-2014, 07:20 AM   #2
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:
Re: How long to develop good mobility?

Doing the banded ankle mobility would be good too - as well as calf smash, lacrosse ball to the bottom of the foot, shin smashing (bone saw), and smearing. All can be found on MobilityWOD

It took you a lifetime to get as stiff as you are, so it's gonna take awhile to get that range of motion back. Depends how much time you spend in good positions.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #3
Nate Daniel

Profile:

Thank you Chris! My ankle is my main area of concern right now, and all those seem great! I figured it would take awhile, and I may never get it due to prior injuries (Mainly just rolling my ankles during ruck marches and "hiking")! Ill keep working it, one of these days I will be able to full Snatch, and not have to split snatch!
Old 08-22-2014, 03:50 AM   #4
Bob Butz

Profile:

If you spent many years getting into a "mobility mess" you can expect it take an equally long time to get out of it. And, to echo what Chris said above, you may never be able to totally undue some improper movement patterns if the root of the cause is an old injury that has been allowed to "set" over a lifetime.

But instead of throwing a bunch of stuff at your particular problem and hoping something sticks, you might consider going to a PT to determine exactly where your mobility problem really lies. You can then target the area specifically or, if there is more than one issue, you can dissect each issue one at a time.

Just as in any other sort of training, you will hit plateaus with your stretching and mobility work. Nobody ever really talks about this. But you will get to points where it seems as if you can't improve your range of motion anymore. You can also overdo the mobility work/stretching and actually regress.

Sometimes people truly can't improve their mobility beyond a certain point because of some old injury or structural issue. But often it is simply a plateau that takes some creativity and a lot of targeted diligence to push through. This is where a PT might be able to help.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:57 AM   #5
Nate Daniel

Profile:

Thanks Bob,
I will try to get to a PT when I get back to the states, I am in Korea right now, and there isn't one here on base! I made a couple videos tonight to see what my squats were looking like.

The first one I did was with a 15# plate out in front of me, I feel like I had OK form with this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJIbz...Cdq5vWOjcyzqfQ

Next I tried a goblet squat. with this I am getting too much forward lean, and some butt wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8zJ...Cdq5vWOjcyzqfQ

Then just to see I did a PVC overhead squat. Again a lot of forward lean, and butt wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGPj6...Cdq5vWOjcyzqfQ

Should I also post these in the online coaching thread? Any suggestions?
Old 08-22-2014, 06:25 AM   #6
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

If you have a history of ankle injuries a good PT might be able to speed up the process a lot. It isn't a comfortable but you can get things moving better faster.

I worked on my ankles for months then a member who was is a PT worked on them for 10 minutes. Got more range of motion from the 10 minutes then from the months of work. I too had rolled 1 of my ankles severally a couple of years ago. PT said it was common for ankles to heal while not being lined up correctly.