CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #21
Jayme Gruber

Profile:
Re: Bar muscle ups

I guess you can't play Coach's Eye videos in slow mo on the internet, hope this helps though:

http://www.coachseye.com/v/BGpI?utm_...mpaign=sms_4-1 WFS
Old 08-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #22
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Jayme,
You've got a good kip to transfer up and over the bar, but you're still breaking at the knees.

Consider this comparison:
http://vimeo.com/83701027 (not wfs due to language)

This video explains what I've been getting at with my posts to Bob: keeping tension in the kip to transfer movement up the body.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #23
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Oh believe me, I know. Haha.

I've studied that Tyminski video quite a bit. It's greatly improved my ring muscle ups, though I still have an issue keeping the arch when my feet are behind me due to shoulder issues that make it hard for me to turn the rings out.

Anyway, I hadn't really thought about applying that method to bar muscle ups for some reason. That was also after almost 2 hours of training so probably not my best attempt. I'll try to focus on that in the future though, thanks!
Old 08-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #24
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Ring muscle ups hinge way up where the straps are attached. Bar muscle ups hinge at the bar where your hands are. To keep high tension in the bar kip is going to demand more mobility from the shoulders. The rings are more forgiving on the shoulder. If you've got shoulder issues then you may want to keep your bar kip the way it is.

Last edited by Christopher Morris : 08-20-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #25
Jesse DeMoss

Profile:

I just got my bar muscle ups for the first time today. It happened the same way my ring muscle ups happened. At some point I stopped thinking and just trying to go through the motions. I just seriously committed to a really hard kip and the rest just happened.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #26
Bob Herald

Profile:

Jayme and Christopher, thanks those videos help a lot. I have the same problem as Jayme. a lifetime of wrestling and jiujitsu has given me poor shoulder mobility. As a result I practice a lot of yoga to try to open up my hips and shoulders. I believe that's why my "kip" looks like a swing. My hollow is okay but I don't get enough arch on my arch to generate momentum.

Also I notice what you're saying Jayme about straight arms, I tried to slow down your video and your hips were near the bar when your arms broke. I'm braking my arms way to early