CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
Bob Herald

Profile:
Bar muscle ups

I desperately want to achieve this. I can do jumping muscle ups with a bar just above head level(10 reps). I can do 15 dead hang chins or 10 solid dead hang pullups pronated grip. But I'm 6'3" 215.. Not a tiny guy.

I found I love calisthenics and have replaced all my upper body strength exercises with dips pullups and pushups. I do them weighted and unweighted. I still squat and deadlift with kettlebells and sandbags. And do turkish getups.

My question is, for the upper body calisthenics, how often can I do them??? I typically do 5 sets of pullups dips and pushups usually going to failure on the last set.

Second question.. Any tips on progressing the muscle up from where I'm at? I've also been playing with front levers and L sits.

Thank you
Old 08-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
Jim Ryan

Profile:
Re: Bar muscle ups

I've helped a few guys out at my gym that sound a lot like you, by that I mean they (and you) clearly possess the strength for it.

Without seeing a video the biggest two recommendations I can make are:

1. Make sure you are opening up and coming all the way through (past the bar) on your initial foreword kip. You don't want to be pulling yourself strait up and over the bar but in a slight backwards ark. This position is the first picture in the attachment.

2. After you are as far open as you can kip the hell out of it and imagine pulling your hips to the bar. Hips to bar can be seen in the second picture. From there you should be in a better position to go up and over.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bar-muscle-up.jpg
Views:	39345
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	13539
Old 08-11-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

I posted a tip in another thread about this, where a guy said his fails were kind of like a big "shrug." He said my tip was exactly what his problem was, so I'll repeat it here....

A bar MU is NOT related to a pullup. I mean, it is, but it is not. OK, what I mean is, you don't get a bar MU by going from a "standard pullup," to a "C2B pullup," to just an even deeper pullup, to get a bar MU. A bar MU is like a somewhat deep C2B pullup, then quickly into like a tricep pushdown (if you're doing it strict).

If you're kipping, the key move to avoid - and this is very similar to a kipping ring MU - is thinking you have to get UP. You have to get BACK, behind the bar. When you are through the bar on the forward portion of your kip, you have to snap your shoulders/lats forward and down HARD - imagine you are trying to push the bar toward the wall you are facing - as you go into hollow position, to get yourself behind the bar, WHILE keeping your arms straight. This translates that hard kip-to-hollow into centripetal force, so as you come behind the bar, you'll then also begin to follow an arc upward (imagine, if you let go of the bar right now, you'd slam into the wall behind you). Read that again: the beginning of the upward movement comes from kipping AWAY from/BEHIND the bar, with straight arms.

Then, as that upward arc begins, you fire the hips from hollow to arch position to further support that direction, and you'll find yourself at a level such that the bar is well below your sternum, and THEN you can pull yourself almost horizontally - not upward like a pullup, more the direction of rowing pull - on top of the bar.

To summarize: as the poster above's first frame shows, get through the bar in a full, extended arch position. Engage the shoulders/lats, push that bar toward the wall you're facing, as you then come behind the bar into hollow position. That puts tension on your grip (hang on!!) and begins a centripetal arc upward, so then re-fire those hips into arch, you'll glide smoothly upward and then just pull yourself to the bar.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Push down on the bar rather than thinking of it as a pullup transition to chin-up.

This is a Roger Harrell cue for the bar kip. Though a kipping MU uses bent arms, the cue works.

A good drill for this would be having a spotter spot your hips as you do hollow>arch swings. Use 3 swings and go on the third. Think about using straight arms even with the spot. It's ok if they bend.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
Bob Herald

Profile:

Wow all amazing advice. So the movement is more of a pullover than a pullup? Would it be more beneficial to increase my front lever or pullover strength then? It seems like it more of a technique and timing issue. I may film a vid for you guys to see.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

It's more of an uprise.

This is a pullover.

http://gymnasticswod.com/content/pull-over
Old 08-13-2014, 04:14 AM   #7
Bob Herald

Profile:

Oh gotcha. Terminology mistake lol. Thanks
Old 08-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #8
Bob Herald

Profile:

Here's my sad attempt at a kip for a MU. Trying to get my hips high

http://youtu.be/Ac07K_GY_Kc
Old 08-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

It's blocked. Private.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
Bob Herald

Profile:

I tried changing the settings and can't figure it out. Anyway, I can now of a jumping MU with the bar just above my head. And in a high bar I can muscle up to my armpits with a kip. I mean I actually got my armpits on the bar lol. And pushed myself up from there.

I got the arch (head through), hollow position, pull knees up, chest to bar. I'm just not getting over yet. I'll try to film a video of that tomorrow.