CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
Megan Meery

Profile:
Snatch troubles

When I snatch, I find it EXTREMELY hard to use the hip bump. I have a really bad snatch ATM, 32kg 1RM PR to be exact, and I think that if I can get that hip bump, my snatch will make leaps and bounds. Whenever I try to use it, it's like to bar just loses all of it's momentum, preventing me from getting it overhead. Strength is definitely not the issue - I back squat 175# and push press 100#, not bad for a 5'7" 15yo female. I'm working out later tonight in a WOD that calls for snatches, so I'll take a video to show you exactly what I mean in terms of the snatch, but until then, any help you guys could give would be awesome.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
Andrew G Parker

Profile:
Re: Snatch troubles

I'll be curious about the coming discussion. The link below is to a Gregg Everett article that talks about the topic, as well as different camps/opinions on the matter. What ever you end up doing, I believe you will want to keep the bar close throughout the movement.

http://www.catalystathletics.com/art...?articleID=125
Old 08-05-2014, 06:28 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

This idea of a hip "bump" is somewhere between misguided and just wrong.

Couple of ideas that most weightlifting coaches can sometimes agree on:

1) The bar path in the Olympic lifts should not deviate much from a straight line up. As it passes the knees it may drift back over the base of support into the hip a little and as the athlete drops under the bar it might drift forward a little. This creates the basic shallow S pattern. This is not something the lift does on purpose.

2) In these lifts we move our bodies around the bar, not our bar around our bodies. Big difference.

So instead of thinking of it as bumping the bar what you really want is your upper thighs or lower hip to gently touch or brush the bar on the way up. The reason you want this is you will be keeping you body close to the bar which is what is required to get the best leg drive up and to be able to receive the bar over your base of support (not forward or behind).

At 15 I would recommend working with a good Olympic coach away from your CrossFit gym. Learn good lifting mechanics at your age will yield great results.

Like "Hookgrip" on Facebook. Watch the video of Morghan King's 95kg clean lifting in 53kg class at Nationals. It is an excellent example of what I tried to describe in writing. No bump, but a brush as the knees slide forward in the second pull.

Last edited by Brendan McNamar : 08-05-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:56 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Take some video.

More than likely you just need to go back and work the 2nd pull more besides keeping the bar close.

Muscle Snatches and snatches from the high hang or above the knee.