CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #1
Peter Möller

Profile:
L-pull ups

Hi!
When I do L-Pull ups, I feel like I´m getting blocked in the back of my shoulders, initiating the movement from fully extended arms. I have trouble lowering into a full dead hang as well. This is only a problem when I flex the hip and put my feet out in front as in the L-Pull up. I never have this problem doing regular pull ups and I figure it´s not strength related as I can do weighted pull ups with a descent amount of weight.
My shoulder mobility is generally pretty good, except I might be missing some internal rotation and have been told my posterior capsule might be a bit tight. I also have a fairly stiff thoracic spine.
So I´m wondering if anyone know of specific stretches or mobility drills that might be helpful?
Thanks in advance
Old 05-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
Michael Cook

Profile:
Re: L-pull ups

It could be a strength issue, or a lat flexibility issue or both. I have a few suggestions:

1. Try chin over bar L hang.

2. Try straight arm L hang.

3. When you do L pull ups, try to make sure elbows are pointing forward, not out to the side.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

When you do your pullups, do you maintain a hollow body or does your chest open up?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
Peter Möller

Profile:

I can do L-hang with chin over bar easily, I cannot however do an L-hang with arms extended.
I do L-pull ups with my palms facing away so I don´t really see how I´m able to simultaneously point my elbows forward?

Doing regular pull ups, I would say I stay unbroken. But I´m unsure of what you mean by chest opening up. As I retract my scapula, naturally my chest opens a bit...

Thanks a lot for the replies
Old 08-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
Peter Möller

Profile:

I´ve been at it for a while now, and I think the problem was actually some mobility but also weakness in the shoulder stabilizers.
However, I started thinking about my hand placement. I just automatically figured a pronated grip was the way to go. But seeing more and more people do them supinated I started wondering if L-pull ups in a pronated grip (palms pointing away) might be "mechanically unhealthy" in any way?
Anyone have an opinion about this?
Thanks again!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
Dakota Base

Profile:

When you pull your legs up for the L-sit, the tendency is to roll the hips under, which positions your spine incorrectly for dead hang or full extension pull ups. Is that happening for you? Hanging slightly flexed with your elbows in front of you is typically what you see from guys, which isn't really the proper execution of the position, even if it's generally accepted.

If you roll your hips under to help you raise your legs, you'll feel like you can't draw your shoulders rearward on the hang, and you'll feel the cantilever downward pressure as if you're trying to do a front lever.

Like this:

Pic of L-sit hang, ALMOST but not quite WFS

By keeping your hips rolled back, your spine is then positioned to let you actually hang freely in your shoulder, like this:

Pic of L-sit hang, done right WFS

Not sure whether this is your problem or not, but it's something to look at.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Supinated grip comes before pronated grip as to L-hang pullup development.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
Peter Möller

Profile:

Dakota Base: I think you´re definitely on to something there. I´m not 100% sure if that´s what I´m doing wrong. But so much of what you describe sounds a bit too familiar so I´ll be checking my form closely.
By the way. You don´t have a picture that shows a correct l-sit pull-up in the top position from the side?
Thanks alot!
Old 08-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

http://www.arthlete.com/wp-content/u..._up.jpg?2a71d8

On a bar, pronated. wfs

http://www.chroniclesofstrength.com/.../03/aleks1.png

On a bar, supinated. wfs

http://topz10s.com/wp-content/upload...gymnast-GB.jpg

Wide Arm pullup by Dylan of GymnasticBodies halfway up. Might be sort of NSFW because of topless dude.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #10
Peter Möller

Profile:

Thanks!
Am I wrong if I say it looks like the guy in the top photo, (pronated) is rolling his hips under like Dakota talks about?
The one of Dylan looks solid though... Damn gymnasts.... =D