CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Bryan Hood

Profile:
Re: Website to calculate cost for starting a new Crossfit box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
Hey Bryan, I just applied for affiliation and plan on starting out of my garage. I probably put in about 10k total so far with everything. Certs, equipment, and accounting for affiliation price. Maybe it's a personal question but if you are just making money now how did you not use any of the income from the box as a salary or is that accounted for? For me this is a side gig as of right now but I would love to make it happen full time in the near future and just trying to plan.
I've never paid myself. All the money goes back into our CF joint. My wife works and I used to work overseas. Another thing I do is sell protein, creatine, glutamine and a pre-WOD supplement from About Time. I've sold their stuff for almost 2 years and our folks love it. Recently, we started selling FitAid. In my opinion, this is the absolute best recovery drink on the market. The first month we sold almost 40 cases. My members buy it by the case now. If you plan to start selling FitAid, please let them know you heard about it from me. Other than shirts on my Zazzle store (sold hundreds around the world) that's all we sell in-house as a source of side revenue. Memberships will keep the lights on and pay for equipment, etc. You have to do more for payroll income. I have 4 trainers on as contractors. I pay them $15/class after they work off 6/month for their membership.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
Bryan Hood

Profile:

Here's a vid I made a couple days ago. Check it out if you want, get some ideas of what to do or not do...whatever. Hope it helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjIh...ature=youtu.be (wfs)
Old 12-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Hood View Post
I've never paid myself. All the money goes back into our CF joint. My wife works and I used to work overseas. Another thing I do is sell protein, creatine, glutamine and a pre-WOD supplement from About Time. I've sold their stuff for almost 2 years and our folks love it. Recently, we started selling FitAid. In my opinion, this is the absolute best recovery drink on the market. The first month we sold almost 40 cases. My members buy it by the case now. If you plan to start selling FitAid, please let them know you heard about it from me. Other than shirts on my Zazzle store (sold hundreds around the world) that's all we sell in-house as a source of side revenue. Memberships will keep the lights on and pay for equipment, etc. You have to do more for payroll income. I have 4 trainers on as contractors. I pay them $15/class after they work off 6/month for their membership.
Quote:
Here's a vid I made a couple days ago. Check it out if you want, get some ideas of what to do or not do...whatever. Hope it helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjIh...ature=youtu.be (wfs)
Thanks Bryan. Sooo what you're telling me is that I need to go and get a wife? haha. I'm just dreaming big. I want a box to be my primary source of income but I'm still taking it very slow. I do know that selling things are definitely a great way to make more money. I'll watch your vid later on. I'm at work now.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
Michael MacDowell

Profile:

Quote:
Awesome video. Thank you for the tour. You have some great ideas that will really help new affiliates. Stop by if you're ever in NY!
Old 12-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael MacDowell View Post
Awesome video. Thank you for the tour. You have some great ideas that will really help new affiliates. Stop by if you're ever in NY!
I need to take you up on your offer to stop in and check it out. I'm hoping to hear any week now if I'm approved.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #16
Michael MacDowell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
I need to take you up on your offer to stop in and check it out. I'm hoping to hear any week now if I'm approved.
Anytime Mike. Good luck on hearing soon. I remember how much anticipation there was awaiting that email.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
Shawn Hiller

Profile:

Quote:
Watched it. Not bad! Actually scored a couple of good low budget ideas.... Really appreciate the post.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #18
Brian Strump

Profile:

As for attrition rates, I usually tell people, and had some agreement with shooting for under 6%/mon.

That's my goal each month too.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #19
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Nice place Bryan! I wish I was half as handy as you; thankfully my members are! I trade out a month(s) membership for a members handy skills often.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #20
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
I just watched this. Looks great man. This was really helpful. That's an interesting point about not sharing your programming too. I see that more and more these days.