CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
John Titus

Profile:
Website to calculate cost for starting a new Crossfit box

Hi all,
I made this website for people thinking about starting your own CrossFit box. I'd appreciate any feedback/thoughts you have!

http://www.boxfiter.com
Old 11-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Zack Quilici

Profile:
Re: Website to calculate cost for starting a new Crossfit box

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Titus View Post
Hi all,
I made this website for people thinking about starting your own CrossFit box. I'd appreciate any feedback/thoughts you have!

http://www.boxfiter.com
Thats amazing!! great job!

my 2 cents anyway you can put in an equipment cost box? that would be greatttttt
Old 11-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
David Patton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Quilici View Post
Thats amazing!! great job!

my 2 cents anyway you can put in an equipment cost box? that would be greatttttt
Yes, put in a way to amortize initial equipment costs.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Brian Holub

Profile:

Just a couple things to add:

1) You should probably include an option for credit card processing fees. Most gyms accept cards, because cash/check does become unwieldy at some point.

2) Something people just starting a box might not realize is that your average membership value will most likely be below what your membership fee is. Meaning, just because you say your membership is $180/month... it's all but guaranteed that you will make deals. Of course, that can be offset if you sell stuff at retail.

It's a good start, but it's always better to be more conservative! There's often fees involved with whatever city you need permits in, as well as incorporation fees and all that.

Edit: Oh yeah, this also seems to assume that one person (the owner) is coaching all the classes
Old 11-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
Shawn Hiller

Profile:

Nice work. I dig it. Curious as to what your formula was to determine how many square feet per athlete needed.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Bryan Hood

Profile:

Looks great. Very helpful for those wanting to open one. Jon Gilson from Again Faster came up with this one a few years ago. This one is pretty good too. I started out with 15K as my budget but as we grew had to spend more and more to accommodate growth. Always having to buy more bars, bumpers, KBs, etc. Not to mention all the things most folks forget about like markers, whiteboards, glue, grease, lumber, paint, trash cans/bags, mops, brooms, buckets, etc. A lot of folks forget about those little things but they definitely add up fast. I've been open 3 years and just about cut even, if that. Paying for more certs/training adds up too as well as the travel. We have trainers we pay so that cuts into our profit as well. We're constantly growing and constantly putting money back into the animal I've created.
Attached Files
File Type: email Affiliate Cash Flow Calculator.xls (34.5 KB, 5290 views)
Old 11-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Michael F Ward

Profile:

Great calculator, but it doesn't take into account athlete attrition.

No box will go a month without at least 1 member leaving. It would be totally naive to think you only ever grow and no one leaves. There was a blog post, sorry can't remember where, that goes into percentages over the last 5 yrs of boxes and their conversion rate and attrition rate.

As I recall they estimated 15-20% attrition rate, I may be misquoted.

You also need to state (maybe I missed where you did) that this is just a rough guide and that no-one should stake their life, future or money on it.

I did my cash flow projector over 36mths taking into account EVERY cent and aspect needed as well as very conservative sign-ups, aggressive attrition and also increases in expenses and fees from year to year (EVERYTHING needs to have price increases).

I'm just being picky because if newbies (i already have had my own fitness business for last 10yrs) want to get into a crossfit box of any decent scale other than in their own garage, there are lots of hidden expenses and the last thing you want to do is to put your house on the line for it.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Charles Watkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Hood View Post
Looks great. Very helpful for those wanting to open one. Jon Gilson from Again Faster came up with this one a few years ago. This one is pretty good too. I started out with 15K as my budget but as we grew had to spend more and more to accommodate growth. Always having to buy more bars, bumpers, KBs, etc. Not to mention all the things most folks forget about like markers, whiteboards, glue, grease, lumber, paint, trash cans/bags, mops, brooms, buckets, etc. A lot of folks forget about those little things but they definitely add up fast. I've been open 3 years and just about cut even, if that. Paying for more certs/training adds up too as well as the travel. We have trainers we pay so that cuts into our profit as well. We're constantly growing and constantly putting money back into the animal I've created.
Bryan, do you mind sharing the size of your box/what type of equipment you opened with on that budget? Thanks
Old 12-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Hood View Post
Hey Bryan, I just applied for affiliation and plan on starting out of my garage. I probably put in about 10k total so far with everything. Certs, equipment, and accounting for affiliation price. Maybe it's a personal question but if you are just making money now how did you not use any of the income from the box as a salary or is that accounted for? For me this is a side gig as of right now but I would love to make it happen full time in the near future and just trying to plan.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
Bryan Hood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Watkins View Post
Bryan, do you mind sharing the size of your box/what type of equipment you opened with on that budget? Thanks
Here's my initial order from Rogue.
Ordered: 2 C2-MD Concept 2 Model D Rower w/PM3 monitor $849.00
Ordered: 2 IMRTAN ROGUE Rings with Desert Tan Straps $77.00
Ordered: 4 IM0030 ROGUE Ring - Single Ring $0.00
Ordered: 4 RFKHAK Desert Khaki Straps $0.00
Ordered: 1 KRP50 50' Power Rope w/End Whipping $125.00
Ordered: 1 JR006-5 Ultra Speed Cable Jump Rope - 5 Pack $70.00
Ordered: 5 JR006 Ultra Speed Cable Jump Rope $0.00
Ordered: 1 DX4 Stinger 1 - 4lbs $70.00
Ordered: 1 DX8 Accelerator 1 - 8lbs $80.00
Ordered: 1 DX12 Stout 1 - 12lbs $90.00
Ordered: 1 DX16 Hefty 1 - 16lbs $100.00
Ordered: 1 DX20 Burly 1 - 20lbs $110.00
Ordered: 1 AROQC5 Spring Collars - 5 Pairs $48.00
Ordered: 10 AROQC-2 Spring Collars $0.00
Ordered: 1 RF10IR I - 10 Unit - 10' Infinity Rig $1,797.36
Ordered: 3 IM108WS 108" SPX Rack Leg $0.00
Ordered: 2 IM2PAR 43" Parallel Bar $0.00
Ordered: 5 IM72XMBR 72X10X1.25 Cross Member for Rack/Rig $0.00
Ordered: 4 IMJ2 2.5 Infinity J-Cup Simple $0.00
Ordered: 4 IMPLXM SPX Rack Washer Plate Medium - 14" $0.00
Ordered: 1 PWBRUISE5 (5) Bar Set - Rogue Bruiser Bars - Shipping Included $1,225.00
Ordered: 5 PWBRUISE 20KG Bruiser Bar $0.00
Ordered: 2 HTRF350LBS ROGUE 350lb Bumper Set (Shipping Included) $590.00
Ordered: 4 HTR10LB ROGUE Hi-Temp 10lb Bumper (Single) $0.00
Ordered: 4 HTR15LB ROGUE Hi-Temp 15lb Bumper (Single) $0.00
Ordered: 4 HTR25LB ROGUE Hi-Temp 25lb Bumper (Single) $0.00
Ordered: 4 HTR35LB ROGUE Hi-Temp 35lb Bumper (Single) $0.00
Ordered: 8 HTR45LB ROGUE Hi-Temp 45lb Bumper (Single) $0.00
Ordered: 3 IM144WS Tall - 12' SPX Rack Leg $100.00
Ordered: 1 RFTRSHRT-L LARGE - ROGUE "R" T-Shirt $15.00

I ordered 2 KB each of 53#, 35#, 18# from Wright. I built my jump box out of old pallets in the dumpster. Screwed them together and skirted them with scrap plywood I found. That's about it. Bought a clock from MDUSA. Other expenses are gym chalk, markers, etc. I bought my whiteboards from Lowe's. It's melamine(sp?) which is about 8 bucks for a 4x8 sheet. I bought ropes from the local Army Surplus. Made sand bags out of sand tubes from Ace Hardware ($2) and army Barracks/Laundry bags. Old telephone poles from the power company. Some were treated which really itches and burns. Stay away from those. Bought an Airdyne bike off Craigslist.

We've acquired MUCH more since then. I bought all that stuff back in Dec-Jan 2010. Not to mention my CF trainer cert ($800 for mil) which I failed and had to retake a couple months later in Florida. To date, that's the most expensive t-shirt I own. Not much of a test taker. I've taken other courses/certs and attended other seminars since then. Those all cost money. We've hosted the CF Endurance, CF Powerlifting and the JumpNRope seminars this past year. I had about 8 members the first 8 months due to my deployments as a civilian contractor. Now, almost 3 years later, we hover around 100 steady members. I made my first website from Homestead and used Zen Planner and Beyond the Whiteboard. Decided to cut my overhead by getting rid of all those and using RxGymSoftware.com (wfs). I still use them. I'm the sole owner. No loans, partners or investors. It's hard work and not as much fun, at times, as a lot of people think it's gonna be. It consumes you if you want to succeed. I do. I have an awesome wife and members. Some members get their membership comp'd for helping me with things around the box.

I don't have the perfect solution and I don't know it all. I enjoy listening to the Barbell Business PodCast from the CF Faction guys. They really know the business side well. I've made mistakes and have learned. My programming has really gotten dialed in through trial and error. I'm a military man and don't have much patience for civilians or weak minded people. I've evolved out of necessity. I'm a better person and trainer now. I'm not a competitor. In my opinion, you can be a great trainer or great competitor but not both at the same time. I put everything I have into our CF family. Our community is very strong. There are things I can do better and I know it. I'm getting there. This has been an amazing ride for me. No regrets. I'll be posting a video, soon, about owning a CF joint and things I've done. Check out our YouTube page. It'll be coming soon. https://www.youtube.com/user/thefoundrycf (wfs)

That's a lot but I hope it helps. I don't have all the answers.