CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
Kelli Talaska

Profile:
Re: How does my list look? Affiliate for 6 people classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry A Carey View Post
There are alot of women at our box that would struggle with the 45lb bar. They just can't get it over their heads. I would suggest at least one women's bar. Just my opinion!

Regards,
T
Also, with its slightly smaller diameter, the 15kg bar is much nicer on our hands. Even though I can use the 45lb for all my lifts now, I strongly prefer the smaller one.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
Kelli Talaska

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
Do you think scaling to my light dumbbells, or other over head work can get them to the point of lifting just another 10lbs up?
Eventually, maybe? But it's much nicer to from the start work on good barbell form, at an appropriate weight.

Plus, once you're in a metcon, repping things out, the lighter bar is super helpful. I still do 55lb on some wods that have a lot of overhead work (say snatches). With the 35lb bar, that means I can set up correctly with 10lb bumpers, which is much easier than having to think about lowering a 45lb bar with 5s approximately to the correct height every rep. (Setting up with the bar on blocks can help get around this too, but it's something to be aware of.)
Old 11-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Mendoza View Post
Cool, sounds solid.

I'm honestly a bit all over the place right now haha. I've been reading this book by Chris Cooper http://www.amazon.com/Two-Brain-Busi...rds=two+brains (WFS)

It has me thinking a lot about the way I want to do things. The more and more I do research on opening an affiliate it seems like the more and more I start to get away from the garage box idea.

I'm looking at that garage as more of a temporary place to gain some momentum and I want to transition to a warehouse space in no more than a year.

1) Form a community of Crossfitters to do wods together while simultaneously building the business with web design, logo design, and equipment. The people working out with me will know that at some point in the future it will not be free.

2) Start to incorporate CrossFit times that are set in stone from the website, and start signing people up with memberships. At that time I will give everyone a free 3 month coupon; when that expires there will no longer be free access to the gym.

3) Spend time and resources on sales and marketing.

I'm definitely in the same boat as you with the "If I build it, they will come mentality" Same with the web design and marketing thing. I don't want to start promoting myself when my box is not prepared to handle members.

I've already been seeing numerous opportunities where I could 'recruit" clients, but am not in a position to do so. So, I'm confident that I could fill my garage up when the time comes

Sound like you're going to do pretty well yourself. Good luck man!
Just a little advice, do free for a much shorter time period. I've been doing this garage thing for over a year and I really think being free makes people not care. They want to feel like they're getting something. If you do free for 3 months you'll have people lose interest before ever seeing a dollar. Do a month maybe.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #14
Jayne Whittingham

Profile:

Another vote for a women's bar. I'm not particularly girly but the smaller diameter bar is better.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #15
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Quote:
Just a little advice, do free for a much shorter time period. I've been doing this garage thing for over a year and I really think being free makes people not care. They want to feel like they're getting something. If you do free for 3 months you'll have people lose interest before ever seeing a dollar. Do a month maybe.
Thanks for the insight. The three months is still not set in stone and will only be temporary. Chris copper talks about the herd mentality in his book. Basically, selling crossfit memberships when your box is empty makes things difficult. So, I'm playing with a few different ideas.

I'd like to believe that the experience one gets at my box will be so great that they won't lose interest, and when the time comes to pay membership fees there will be no hesitation.

But you're right; 3 months is a long time... My strategy is definitely something I'm working on everyday and I'll have to think long and hard about how I'm going to structure my pricing and marketing strategies.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Mendoza View Post
Thanks for the insight. The three months is still not set in stone and will only be temporary. Chris copper talks about the herd mentality in his book. Basically, selling crossfit memberships when your box is empty makes things difficult. So, I'm playing with a few different ideas.

I'd like to believe that the experience one gets at my box will be so great that they won't lose interest, and when the time comes to pay membership fees there will be no hesitation.

But you're right; 3 months is a long time... My strategy is definitely something I'm working on everyday and I'll have to think long and hard about how I'm going to structure my pricing and marketing strategies.
What prices are you thinking? That's something I'm having trouble deciding.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #17
Michael Cook

Profile:

For a garage gym you want the ability to do a variety of exercises, have minimal cost and not take up a whole lot of space. I think you may have some beginners, so have equipment so that the workouts can be scaled for beginners.

With that in mind I think you need a bar for everyone. Maybe 4 mens bars, 3 womens bars and 2 lighter training bars.

Mens and womens size wall balls.

3 sizes of KB are enough to get started: 53, 35, and then something lighter.

Ab mats and jump ropes for everyone.

20-24-30 boxes are good, but you might also want a couple smaller ones: 12-20-24.

Bands of various sizes.

Rings.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #18
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Thanks Michael. Maybe I'll take out the two 70lb bells and add something else.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
Michael MacDowell

Profile:

A common mistake new affiliates make (including us originally) is not accommodating newbies, women and those who lack overall strength initially. You need more lighter stuff than you might want/think. That means 10# med balls (we even have 6#), 18# & 26# KB, 35# bars and lots of 10 & 15# plates.

All are critical to making those people comfortable. You can't expect people to just work with a 45# bar. There are some moves they won't be able to do.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of beasts and need heavy stuff but you'll initially get way more athletes new to CF and lifting in general.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #20
Adam Morden

Profile:

Quote:
My plan is to be able to hold classes with a max of 6 people of various levels per class.

This is what I will have after I place my order. Some of this stuff I already have so I want to list my totals. Med Balls, and Boxes are homemade.

2 S-2 Squat Stands with pull up bar
2 Squat racks (4 total places to squat)
1 Stud bar pull up bar (this gives me 3 total spots for pull ups)
3 sets of wooden rings
10 pairs of 45lb bumpers
7 pairs of 25's
7 pairs of 10's
600lbs Steel Plates
5 20lb medballs
3 25lb medballs
1 15lb KB
2 18lb KB
4 35lb KB
1 44lb KB
4 53lb KB
3 70lb KB
1 10lb Slam Ball
2 20lb Slam Ball
2 30lb Slam Ball
2 packs of various resistance bands
5 20,24,30" Plyo Boxes
4 45lb Barbells
PVC Pipe
2 Ab Mats

I would add 2 womens bars, maybe even do 3 45s, 2 35s and 1 15 lbs bar.
I would have 6 abmats, 10 sets of 25 bumpers and 7 sets of 45. it's unlikely you'll have many people doing Oly lifts over 100kgs to start so you can get away with more steel and fewer bumpers . I would also just set 2 squat rigs if you're doing heavy strength work, 3 people can easily share a rack, you could add 1 more stand and have 3 places meaning people would just partner up. If it's really heavy you'll probably want people spotting anyway.
I would also do 4 sets of rings, if not 6. and add in some 25 -30 lbs KBs (at least 1) You'll be surprised at how many men can't start at 24kg and women who can't start with 16kg. Also some lower boxes, lots of women will find 20" boxes too high to start.

All that advice is based on the assumption that you are attracting people who are new to CF not experienced CrossFitters.

oh ya, and spring for good barbell clamps (I like the lockjaw ones - rogue sells them)