CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Mike Doehla

Profile:
How does my list look? Affiliate for 6 people classes

My plan is to be able to hold classes with a max of 6 people of various levels per class. I'm starting from the ground up so I can always order as I go as I don't plan to draw a salary out of my garage.

This is what I will have after I place my order. Some of this stuff I already have so I want to list my totals. Med Balls, and Boxes are homemade.

2 S-2 Squat Stands with pull up bar
2 Squat racks (4 total places to squat)
1 Stud bar pull up bar (this gives me 3 total spots for pull ups)
3 sets of wooden rings
10 pairs of 45lb bumpers
7 pairs of 25's
7 pairs of 10's
600lbs Steel Plates
5 20lb medballs
3 25lb medballs
1 15lb KB
2 18lb KB
4 35lb KB
1 44lb KB
4 53lb KB
3 70lb KB
1 10lb Slam Ball
2 20lb Slam Ball
2 30lb Slam Ball
2 packs of various resistance bands
5 20,24,30" Plyo Boxes
4 45lb Barbells
PVC Pipe
2 Ab Mats

In your guys opinion, is this enough to run a decent garage box? I plan to program around the equipment I have rather than buy a bunch of stuff I may not use. I feel like this is a good mix of being above the bare minimum and right below what I would ideally like to have. I realize this may mean that everyone may not be using the same weight for an RX'd Wod and people will have to partner for strength work but for around $3000 I can make this happen.

As always, I look forward to whatever you guys can help me with.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Lance Neumeyer

Profile:
Re: How does my list look? Affiliate for 6 people classes

Everything looks really good to start with; except for the # of barbells. IMO, gotta have one for each person - and that would be much more important than having the odd sized KB's or any of the slam balls.

Just noticed you don't have any 14 lb med balls, get rid of the 25 lb med balls and replace them with the 14lb, need those for the women.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Neumeyer View Post
Everything looks really good to start with; except for the # of barbells. IMO, gotta have one for each person - and that would be much more important than having the odd sized KB's or any of the slam balls.

Just noticed you don't have any 14 lb med balls, get rid of the 25 lb med balls and replace them with the 14lb, need those for the women.
You got it. I'll have to find a "recipe" to make some 14lb balls. I can also pick up two more barbells. Do you think I need to get womens weight or can I get away with 2 more standard barbells?
Old 11-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Lance Neumeyer

Profile:

Pretty sure almost all the women that I've trained with just use the 45's
Old 11-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
That's what I was thinking too.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Have you considered the aesthetics of your garage, or are you mainly concerned with equipment?

I more or less have the same idea as you, with a little variance. My equipment will consist of a wall mounted infinity rig from rogue that will accommodate 6 athletes doing kipping pull-ups and consist of 2 squat racks.

(5) men's bars
(2) women's bars
lots of bumper plates
lots of horse stall mats
Logo design (I know, not technically equipment)
(7) abmats
(3) 16kg kettle bell
(4) 24kg kettle bell
(7) Speed ropes
(10) PVC pipes

This is more or less the setup I'm going for, but it's kind of dependent on what kind of deals are out there for Black Friday. I'm so anxious to get my equipment, but I'm counting on some great deals for the holidays

One of my main goals when building my gym is for it to look really clean and modern. If you browse around at some other affiliates you can see a huge difference between a box that focuses on aesthetics and one that doesn't.

Not to say that having an aesthetically pleasing box is vital, but it's very important to me...
Old 11-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Terry A Carey

Profile:

Quote:
There are alot of women at our box that would struggle with the 45lb bar. They just can't get it over their heads. I would suggest at least one women's bar. Just my opinion!

Regards,
T
Old 11-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Mendoza View Post
Have you considered the aesthetics of your garage, or are you mainly concerned with equipment?

I more or less have the same idea as you, with a little variance. My equipment will consist of a wall mounted infinity rig from rogue that will accommodate 6 athletes doing kipping pull-ups and consist of 2 squat racks.

(5) men's bars
(2) women's bars
lots of bumper plates
lots of horse stall mats
Logo design (I know, not technically equipment)
(7) abmats
(3) 16kg kettle bell
(4) 24kg kettle bell
(7) Speed ropes
(10) PVC pipes

This is more or less the setup I'm going for, but it's kind of dependent on what kind of deals are out there for Black Friday. I'm so anxious to get my equipment, but I'm counting on some great deals for the holidays

One of my main goals when building my gym is for it to look really clean and modern. If you browse around at some other affiliates you can see a huge difference between a box that focuses on aesthetics and one that doesn't.

Not to say that having an aesthetically pleasing box is vital, but it's very important to me...
I definitely am trying to meet in the middle. I want to be able to move things around if needed that's why I want the s-2 stands and not rigs (which I might not even have room for). I'm going to be in a typical 2 car garage.

How are things going for you otherwise? Do you have people ready to join? I am expecting about 3-7 right off the bat. I am keeping it kind of quiet right now, though. Only my close friends know about it and I want to release the website and pictures and all that in one shot. I'm not sure if that's the best idea but I don't like talking things up until they're official. I have that "If you build it, they will come" attitude right now and think once I'm up and running I will do ok.

Last edited by Mike Doehla : 11-13-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry A Carey View Post
There are alot of women at our box that would struggle with the 45lb bar. They just can't get it over their heads. I would suggest at least one women's bar. Just my opinion!

Regards,
T
Do you think scaling to my light dumbbells, or other over head work can get them to the point of lifting just another 10lbs up?
Old 11-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
I definitely am trying to meet in the middle. I want to be able to move things around if needed that's why I want the s-2 stands and not rigs (which I might not even have room for). I'm going to be in a typical 2 car garage.

How are things going for you otherwise? Do you have people ready to join? I am expecting about 3-7 right off the bat. I am keeping it kind of quite though. Only my close friends know about it and I want to release the website and pictures and all that in one shot. I'm not sure if that's the best idea but I don't like talking things up until they're official. I have that "If you build it, they will come" attitude right now.
Cool, sounds solid.

I'm honestly a bit all over the place right now haha. I've been reading this book by Chris Cooper http://www.amazon.com/Two-Brain-Busi...rds=two+brains (WFS)

It has me thinking a lot about the way I want to do things. The more and more I do research on opening an affiliate it seems like the more and more I start to get away from the garage box idea.

I'm looking at that garage as more of a temporary place to gain some momentum and I want to transition to a warehouse space in no more than a year.

1) Form a community of Crossfitters to do wods together while simultaneously building the business with web design, logo design, and equipment. The people working out with me will know that at some point in the future it will not be free.

2) Start to incorporate CrossFit times that are set in stone from the website, and start signing people up with memberships. At that time I will give everyone a free 3 month coupon; when that expires there will no longer be free access to the gym.

3) Spend time and resources on sales and marketing.

I'm definitely in the same boat as you with the "If I build it, they will come mentality" Same with the web design and marketing thing. I don't want to start promoting myself when my box is not prepared to handle members.

I've already been seeing numerous opportunities where I could 'recruit" clients, but am not in a position to do so. So, I'm confident that I could fill my garage up when the time comes

Sound like you're going to do pretty well yourself. Good luck man!