CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Kelly Alford

Profile:
Fallen arch/ankle & leg pain - what shoes?

I have recently discovered the reason for pains I have been having in my anterior shins, ankles and knees. I have a flattened arch in one foot and a not so great one in the other. I've read every word on Steven Low's Eat Move Improve about feet and legs. I can say for sure it is linked to SI issues that have been treated.
I have been doing foot muse exercises to try and rebuild, but I fear they are toast.
Curious to hear if anyone has a good running shoe/multipurpose recommendation? I would love to someday go back to my VFFs, with time and rebuilding, but for now, while I do so, justnfornsline support while I get my whole body stronger?
Old 08-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:
Re: Fallen arch/ankle & leg pain - what shoes?

Frankly, I have/had the same issue, and I didn't buy squat at all until I went to the podiatrist. They can and usually will identify issues that go beyond what you've identified. (I've also got SI issues too - my condolences. lol)

In the meantime, I'd find a good shoe insert. I can recommend tons of inserts, but haven't thought about it for CrossFit.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
Kelly Alford

Profile:

I've not seen a podiatrist, have just done Active Release Therapy & Chiro, and she reccomended I either get a pretty basic insert that supports the arch/prevents the pronation or get new shoes. She basically left it up to the shoe store to figure that bit out. :/

I honestly haven't done a true WOD in literally a year, working back in suuuuper slowly, I just figured that folks here are of the "correct it while strengthening and maybe head back to minimalists someday" thought and maybe some experience/insight

What inserts have you had luck with?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
Namir Yedid

Profile:

I'm curious about this thread as well. I have flat/fallen arches in both feet and a history of issues with my SI. Crazy painful-- sorry to you both, I know what you've dealt/are dealing with.

What makes you think you won't get improvement from more mobility/strength work in feet/ankles/lower legs? I'm not questioning you, just curious.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Kelly Alford

Profile:

Just re-read my original post! Holy autocorrect randomness, batman!

Namir, I am hopeful that I can rebuild, but honestly, from what I understand, once the ligaments "go" for too long, they are toast and will never be the same. Not gonna stop me from trying!
On a whim I tried some stupid Dr Scholls arch inserts today, and all they did was screw up the fit of my Frees to the point my heel was coming out of them. Worthless.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Andrew G Parker

Profile:

I have found that the ridiculously expensive custom inserts are really superior to any of the over the counter ones. Not saying it will repair damage done, but may increase functionality with what you have. It is robbery, what they charge for them, but what is it worth for your feet? Foot problems tend to radiate into knee, hip and lower back problems as well over time.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
Jason Newland

Profile:

There is also a great video on MobilityWOD for correcting flat feet.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2013/05/t...feet-solution/
Old 08-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #8
John Lettiere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G Parker View Post
I have found that the ridiculously expensive custom inserts are really superior to any of the over the counter ones. Not saying it will repair damage done, but may increase functionality with what you have. It is robbery, what they charge for them, but what is it worth for your feet? Foot problems tend to radiate into knee, hip and lower back problems as well over time.
I am new to the forum, read the thread. i have very flat feet and can say custom inserts from a foot doctor are incredible. they do not affect my performance, without them i wouldnt be able to even do crossfit. highly recommend.