CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Brian Huynh

Profile:
Angry Muscle atrophy after gastro

So I've had recently had a really bad case of gastro which took me out of training for a week. I spent 3 days vomiting every few hours and couldn't keep anything down. I avoided eating anything at all for the first two days, then after that, I still had no appetite and wasn't eating much. On top of that, I had severe diarrhoea for 6 days. As you can imagine, I went through some major muscle atrophy and lost quite a bit of weight during this period.

I've recently returned to training during the last week and am training once a day (I usually train twice a day) and feel like I've fully recovered. However, all my lifts have dropped quite significantly (eg. 1RM clean went from 100kg/220lb to 90kg/200lb, my 5RM back squat went from 105kg/230lb to 80kg/175lb, 5RM bench press from 75kg/165lb to 65kg/145lb, 5RM overhead press from 55kg/120lb to 45kg/100lb, etc. So as you can see, it's not just one lift, but my overall strength has dropped. I've also been suffering on metabolic conditioning workouts (taking longer to do WOD's, or not completing as many reps as I normally would within a time domain).

I've been Crossfitting for about 3 years now and have spent the last 4 months training twice a day to bring up all my lifts and improve my conditioning and I feel like all the hard training in the recent months have gone to waste in a week which is really frustrating me

Has anyone ever gone through anything like this before and how long did it take for you to get back on track. Would you recommend me focusing on strength to build back my lost muscle? Or just to continue with metcon workouts and adding in strength workouts every few days?

Just for further information, I'm male, 23 years old, use to weight 68kg/149lb but dropped down to 64kg/141lb.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
Victor Goodman

Profile:
Re: Muscle atrophy after gastro

I wouldn't worry too much. I went through the same thing this past April but I'm almost 40 years old so it took a little longer for me to recover from it. Just drink a lot of water and ease back into your workouts. You'll recover the gains you made in a couple of weeks. It took me almost 3 weeks to get back to what I was before I got sick. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Huynh View Post
So I've had recently had a really bad case of gastro which took me out of training for a week. I spent 3 days vomiting every few hours and couldn't keep anything down. I avoided eating anything at all for the first two days, then after that, I still had no appetite and wasn't eating much. On top of that, I had severe diarrhoea for 6 days. As you can imagine, I went through some major muscle atrophy and lost quite a bit of weight during this period.
You lost glycogen, water, a little fat, and perhaps a tiny amount of muscle. No big deal. Start eating properly again, making sure you eat plenty of carbohydrate to replenish your glycogen stores, and you'll be back to your old self in no time.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:48 AM   #4
Brian Huynh

Profile:

Thanks for the response guys. My lifts are slowly starting to creep back up. Fingers crossed that I'll be back to where I was soon. On a side note, I found I'm performing gymnastics movements with more ease.