CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 06-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Greg Shahade

Profile:
Workout Log

Maybe I'm going to start a workout log. I have a lot of emotions about every metcon so I figure I should share them somewhere.

Background: Professional chess player, and before they made it hard to play poker on the Internet in the United States I was a professional poker player. No athletic experience before CF. I think I look at everything in CF from some kind of weird strategical standpoint. Also am completely obsessed with my numbers in everything and every time I don't PR I cry on the inside. Also have a secret big ego because am obsessed with spying on other people's numbers who are ahead of me and trying to catch up to them.

Was sort of freaked out by everything for the first 6 months, but getting used to it (has been 10 months now). It maybe took me 6 months to figure out what all this Fran/Cindy stuff was. Still feel like I'm a bit more confused than someone should be who has been at Xfit for almost a year but it's getting better. Went like 2-4 times per week for those first 6 months and had to take some time off after doing something weird to my shoulder, but now going like 5-6 times per week and since I started doing that have seen big improvements. Now I feel like I may even be going too much, but ok not getting injured or anything and my results keep getting better so hopefully it's ok.

That is all for now. Time to retroactively input the last 10 days of workouts.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Greg Shahade

Profile:
Re: Workout Log

Oh let me put my current important stats!

Oh and I'm 34, 5'7 and 180 lbs!

1 rep maxes:

BackSquat: 290 (300 is coming next time I have a chance....important that the world knows this)

Front Squat: 255

Deadlift: 375

Strict Press: 150

Amazingly have no realiable numbers at the Snatch/Clean/Overhead Squat due to weird timing with them being programmed and my days off/vacations. Will try to go to Oly classes+Squatting classes to fix that.

Things I definitely suck at:

Muscle Ups: I have achieved 0 of these so far.

Rowing: I dunno, whenever we do this I go slower than everyone else and if I try and go fast it hurts my ankle or something.

Ring Dips: Found out I suck at these during this JT workout.

Sit Ups: Who the @#%% sucks at situps? No one but me it seems. I basically never get seriously sore from Xfit EXCEPT if I have to do a huge number of situps. Then my abs are sore for 3 days. This happened to me in some workout where we had to do 50 DUs then 50 situps, 40 DUs then 40 situps and etc. Also I do them really slowly.

I suck at other things too but can't remember what they are right now.

Things I seem relatively good at:

Pistols: Somehow can do these pretty quickly without any help...not sure why since it seems some struggle with them. If only they were the most common workout component in all of Crossfit

Handstand Pushups: Plenty of others are better than me at these ofc, but feels like relative to others who are at my level or above I am pretty solid.

Air Squats: I seem relatively fast at these too! I found this out at Tabata something else. Yay!

Counting: I never lose count during my workouts. I deserve bonus points for this.

Sleeping: Almost always get 8 hours of sleep. Never less than 6 hours. Occasionally something weird will happen where I get like 6.5-7.5 but it requires an accident and if so I'll usually just sleep more and go to a later class.

Last edited by Greg Shahade : 06-17-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Greg Shahade

Profile:

Ok gotta go soon but must post my first workout. Let's start this story at June 1st. I had gone a bunch of days in a row at this point so was planning to take a day off but didn't really feel sore. However saw that we were doing rope climbs, which I completely hate because the rope always rips up my hands/legs. Made brilliant maneuver of wearing sweatpants to Xfit for first time ever and felt it would be especially lame to skip a workout because I hated something in it.

Workout was "Brehm" for time:

15 foot rope climb: 10 ascents
225 lb Back Squat: 20 reps
30 handstand pushups
Row 40 calories

Finished it in about 18:00.

There was this one dropin who was able to do the 10 rope climbs in like 7 seconds total. Drop ins are always ridiculous good it seems, otherwise they wouldn't care enough to drop in. I was pretty sure the toughest part for me would be the rope climbs and after getting through it (I think it took about 4 minutes), went off to the back squat.

Back squat had no idea how long it would take to do 20 reps. Was surprised when I went 10 unbroken to start, and then finished not too long after. OH BUT WAIT, The bar that I had set was being used by someone else and the one I was going to then use instead was set at way too high of a height for me, and since I'm guessing that I cannot clean 225 lbs I had to remove it from the bar and take some weights off and put it back on and etc etc. Took me about a minute. I was very bitter about this on the inside but probably the break helped me do the back squats faster anyway.

Did the handstand pushups with an abmat and some 45 lb plates. Turns out it's a lot harder with the plates. I started with about 10 straight and was pretty sure this was going to be easy but turns out the last 10 are a lot harder than the first ten. But whatever, got through it eventually.

Then the rowing I just took it easy and went at some normal (probably slow) pace. Finished in 18ish minutes and was happy to do it Rx and finish in a decent time. Was only 4 minutes slower than super champion drop-in guy, so felt good about that. Also times compared decently to everyone else although there was no marking on who did it Rx so was tough to figure out what it meant.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Greg Shahade

Profile:

This time we did Jackie. Lots of big champions were there and after doing big research online decided I'd be very happy if I could break 10 minutes (but wasn't optimistic since my pullups aren't great and I suck at rowing).

As usual I was last off the rower compared to all the other champions who were doing it at the same time as me. Seemed like I maybe made up a little ground on the Thrusters but had to stop at least 2-3 times. Probably it's imperative to be able to do this part unbroken. NEXT TIME JACKIE!$$! The good news is other very good people were stopping too, so I felt that I was allowed.

Then the pullups I went a bit faster than I thought, ended up getting 9:23 and finishing just a minute or so behind some guys who I expected would destroy me. Started to feel like maybe someday soon I will be good. How hard is it to shave 1-1.5 minutes off my time?!?!?!

After this workout I felt like I've been improving quite a bit because am pretty sure the month before I would have been a lot slower. I am looking forward to revenge at Jackie and will beat 9 minutes (hopefully 830) if it kills me.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
Greg Shahade

Profile:

So 6/4

SKILL WORK: Snatch Drills

POWER: Snatch, up to a peak of 1.

CONDITIONING: AMRAP in 5 minutes: Double Unders. Keep track of how many sets it takes you to complete this!

Something weird happened to my shoulder over the weekend. Couldn't figure out when or why it happened, but it felt almost injured. Informed coaches and they had me back squat instead.

Was hoping I'd break 300 since my PR was 290 but I failed. Oh well. Whenever I hope I break my PR I always fail. Whenever I know I'm going to break it...then I break it maybe 75% of the time. I guess I'm slightly overconfident.

Then we did the double unders. I was the most shocked person in the world when somehow I started the set with 48 consecutive double unders. This was probably my record by at least 15. Was ridiculous that I couldn't keep it going for two more to get up to 50.

Also I jump way way way too high when I do double unders and so I get tired super super fast. Am working on fixing that for time being, and ended up getting 136 in 5 minutes.

So I get 48 in 30 seconds but could only manage 88 the remaining 4.5 minutes. Like I said, I get totally worn out doing double unders. Hence paying attention to my form and stuff, and occasionally practicing some after class.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Greg Shahade

Profile:

On 6/5 we were set to do Fran. The first time I did it Rx was in April and I got like 11:25, which felt like a huge joke compared to people who were doing it in Sub 5. What specifically annoyed me was that some of these Sub 5'ers have lower back squat+press numbers than me, so clearly they should not be able to crush me this badly. (I am aware that this isn't true).

Problem was the day before my shoulder felt funny. But on this day it felt completely 100%!!!!! I couldn't resist doing it because as long as my shoulder didn't hurt was basically 100% I was going to kill my PR.

But first there was some very sad news. We did Front Squat today for a one rep max, and I was pretty certain the PR was coming. I was at 255 and was ready to enter 265 in my phone right after class because obviously that wouldn't be any problem. I did a set of 3 at 235 lbs the week before and I didn't feel like it was that hard.

LO AND BEHOLD I WAS UNABLE TO DO 265 LBS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got to try twice even. There is no freaking way in the world that 265 Lbs+ is not getting front squatted by me very soon. That is all.

So anyway on to Fran. Was shocked when I did 21 thrusters unbroken (without any shoulder soreness) and then randomly got on pullup bar and did 15 in a row before I had to stop and do the rest at 3+3 (I NEVER DO THIS!), so was like "oh maybe I'm getting better at this XFit stuff). Finished the first round in 98 seconds and a friend from the 8 AM who got a 5:30 or so time told me he did round 1 unbroken in 90 seconds. I was only 8 seconds behind! I couldn't believe it! Here I am about to break 6 minutes!!!

Unfortunately I tire out faster than he does and my round of 15 was a giant disaster. Had to break a few times on thrusters. Pullups were slow and lots of them were done one at a time. But I still beat my time by 4 minutes at (7:35). And next time I will beat it again!!! Although I have to say I was very jealous because on the whiteboard someone beat their time by 1 minute or so and next to his name it said (over 1 minute PR!), but no one was aware of my 4 minute PR. These are the things that I think about!

Anyway looking forward to doing this again. Getting much better at pullups so aiming at Sub 6 next time although I admit that might be slightly greedy.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Greg Shahade

Profile:

Wow it's addictive entering these.

6/7 the workout was:

Three rounds for time of:
Run 400 meters
Single arm hang, right arm, 15 seconds
45 pound barbell Turkish Get-up, left arm, 5 reps
Single arm hang, left arm, 15 seconds
45 pound barbell Turkish Get-up, right arm, 5 reps
30 second L-sit hold

Before the class we found out our max L-sit hold. Mine was like 35 seconds. Not sure why it turned into a max of 5-10 seconds during the actual metcon!

My peak for the Turkish Getup...Oh man I can't remember...I think I may have done 2 pood once but maybe not. Anyway just ended up doing 1.5 pood for the metcon which seemed kind of normal.

On the first lap there is this woman in my class who runs really fast....anytime there is a running component she kills me, so secretly I wanted to sprint on the first lap just to beat her once, because she'd probably be conserving her energy (wisely). However I decided to just run normally which of course results in me being slower than her and 1-2 other people in this relatively small class.

The rest was pretty normal...Took me 20:35 to do it. Had a big problem with the L-sits.....was breaking into sets of 4-6 seconds at some point, which is a lot less than 35 seconds. The one arm hangs were easy to hold straight through (although occasionally broke with my left arm, but never more than once). Also I probably ran pretty slowly.

The getups....seemed fine...it was a bit wet outside so was paranoid about them slipping out of my hand but it all worked out.

In the class before me there were two people who I didn't know who did it in 18-19 minutes range, but overall I think I did ok. I think the whiteboard never went up online for this day so I have no idea how some other people did that I spy on which always makes me sad.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Greg Shahade

Profile:

6/8 was a weekend which makes me happy because we often do benchmark type things then. The first 8 months I did Xfit I basically never went on the weekend. It would be nice to see how badly I sucked at Fran 6 months ago (I'm sure it woulda been light weights, bands all over the place and 10 minutes+).

This time we did Tabata Something Else. I was desperate to go to this class because we did this like a month before and I got 283, and was pretty sure I was going to kill that score.

Ended up doing 55 pullups (I think maybe 10 more than I did last time)...and I forget the rest of the breakdown but ended up getting 315. Also ripped my hand like a donkey on the very last pullup. Got greedy for one more and my hand was already starting to rip but jumped on the bar with like 3 seconds left to get one more violent pullup in. Anyway got it in, but guessing the ripped hand distracted me enough to lose 2-5 reps on the pushups. Anyway was v proud too because only 2-3 people in the class got a higher score than me! Got about 16-17 squats per round which helped because I think a lot of people just get 12-13. Ofc if I look online lots of people are reporting scores of 20-22 squats per round so obviously I am a huge newb.

Anyway it's imperative that I break 400 in this within a few months. Maybe 6 months is fair. If I can just get better at situps it should be doable. Something like:

and that = 380!!! crap.... ok so just add 20 to the above somehow
Old 06-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
Greg Shahade

Profile:

6/9 = Crossfit Disco

Again felt I should take a day off but the wod didn't look too taxing so decided to go for it.

It was:

“CrossFit Disco”

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 reps of:

Box Jumps (24/20)

Pull-ups

With my newfound confidence was hoping to do pretty well and I think I did...finished in 5:40. Top scorer was like 4:20 or so but he's a huge champion. Think I finished like 5th out of 25-30 people so felt I was really turning a corner. Sadly lots of humbling metcons got me in the upcoming week and made me realize that I still have a lot to do. Especially since I still can't even do a single muscle-up. Was able to do the 10+9 pullups unbroken. I think I did 8 unbroken too but not 100% sure. I know there is some trick to doing box jumps faster but I don't know it so I just jump up and go down normally.

I am very impatient.....starting to feel a taste of getting pretty high scores compared to some people, but the top guys still beat me always. Probably realistically it's impossible I will catch some of the top guys in anything under 6 months, (and the real real top guys should be at least a few years if it's even possible).

I kind of tier people into levels...The top levels are the coaches...they are all unbeatable. Then there are like the non-coach athletes who are ridiculously good. Basically unbeatable also. Then there is a 3rd level of people who are clearly better than me at metcons but also clearly below the top guys. I can beat some of the 3rd level guys in certain strength movements like backsquats/presses/deadlifts etc. Then there is a 4th level of people who are better than me but on a good metcon I can beat them. Probably on average I am as good at them in strength stuff/maybe better, but on metcons they will beat me 75% of the time. There are also the cases of people who are stronger than me but generally do worse on the metcons than I do.

Ok then I put myself on 5th level. Hoping to be 4th level in like 3 months....3rd level in like 6-12 months. Can't even think about 2nd level yet since they are back squatting like 400 lbs+ in general and doing Fran in sub 4 minutes. But I can definitely at least envision a world in which I back squat 350 lbs, since seems to go up about 5-10 lbs per month.

Last edited by Greg Shahade : 06-17-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
Greg Shahade

Profile:

6/10:

STRENGTH: Back Squat, up to a peak of 5.

CONDITIONING: Tabata Wallballs (20/14 both to 10′), Tabata Burpees

Again felt like I was supposed to take a rest day but didn't feel that sore and this didn't seem too complicated.

Back Squat was encouraging, ended up doing 255 5 times and felt like I could have gone up to 265 (the last set didn't seem too hard). 300+ is coming v soon I can feel it.

Oh I forgot to mention earlier that I suck at wallballs...They are a big weakness of mine...not exactly sure why. Anyway due to space limitations I ended up doing the burpees before the wallballs. Your score is whatever your lowest number of reps in a round was.

Did 7 burpees in the first set and was able to maintain that for the remaining rounds.

Then immediately went to walballs and despite seeing others getting 8 on them in the earlier classes, I immediately remembered that I sucked at them. The first round I did 7 but it was a very very ugly and difficult seven. I slipped down to 6 in either round 2 or 3 and was able to stay there (although it wasn't easy).

I suspect if the order was reversed I may have been able to get 7. What's sick is that some of the big champions/coaches get 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feels impossible to me. Anyway not sure how to stop sucking at wallballs, will work on it sometime. Pretty sure I wouldn't do well in that 150 wallball benchmark (Karen I think)? Did it in 19:50 maybe a month after I started crossfit. I'm sure I'd do better now, but I doubt I could do it in under 12 minutes (like from the Crossfit Open WOD).