CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: 875 lbs squat in knee wraps only

i watched this again and really don't see the big deal. i mean, first off, he uses a belt which we all know is cheating and probably added like 200lbs to his lift and also makes it totally non-functional. then he uses a monolift which adds like another 100lbs and makes it even more non-functional. besides, i squat 875 all the time. but i don't do it like him. he did it the easy way and knocked it all out with one rep. i always do like 5 or 6 reps to get there which means i am working 5 times harder than him. he should really learn to train hard and quit cutting corners.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #12
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
i watched this again and really don't see the big deal. i mean, first off, he uses a belt which we all know is cheating and probably added like 200lbs to his lift and also makes it totally non-functional. then he uses a monolift which adds like another 100lbs and makes it even more non-functional. besides, i squat 875 all the time. but i don't do it like him. he did it the easy way and knocked it all out with one rep. i always do like 5 or 6 reps to get there which means i am working 5 times harder than him. he should really learn to train hard and quit cutting corners.
Dripping with sarcasm!! I love it!!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #13
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
That's a pretty good squat you have. My little sister can squat 875 for sets of 5 and she's only 5 years old. I think if she keeps practicing she can be really good when she gets older. By the way, have you ever tried the musclemachine system? It's what my little sister used to pack on some serious mass (30 lbs. ALL MUSCLE in about 2 weeks!!). Google it, it really works. Or you can look at seriousmassmostlegendarymusclemassmuscle.com
Old 02-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
mike vinson

Profile:

Obviously a strong kid. It'd be nice to see him take a shot at USA Powerlifting to make team USA. If you can do it under IPF judging and equipment (depth, walking out with a squat, pausing on BP, single plys, no hitching, etc, etc) then you are among the best in the world. (IMO) Once again, obviously a strong kid.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vinson View Post
Obviously a strong kid. It'd be nice to see him take a shot at USA Powerlifting to make team USA. If you can do it under IPF judging and equipment (depth, walking out with a squat, pausing on BP, single plys, no hitching, etc, etc) then you are among the best in the world. (IMO) Once again, obviously a strong kid.
He is doing it with a belt and knee wraps... He is not using single ply... The IPF is not quite the be-all you think it is. His benches are all done with a pause in a meet. He does not hitch on his pulls...

Blah, blah, blah.... The truth is the IPF is a crap federation which is highly overly controlling of its members. You get banned if you compete in another federation? Why? What do they care? They care because they want total control of their membership. They also care because the veneer will be shattered when their members get smoked in other feds.

Tell you what, all of you IPF buffs, send your absolute best to compete against Eric, or any other top tier athlete outside of the IPF and let's see what happens. Until then, please...

And yes, there are some very good lifters in the IPF.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #16
mike vinson

Profile:

maybe he could be competitive, no one knows. i'm just asking, if you can put up those numbers why wouldnt you try to earn a spot and compete for your country in norway? i dont think usa powerlifting will ban you from competing in other oraganizations? i've been out of the game a while and maybe im wrong on that one? im really not dissing him, he's obviously strong. it'd just be nice to see the sport grow and get back under one umbrella. with that being said, ive never seen anyone duplicate numbers from other organizations. totals normally tumble by the hundreds.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #17
Dana Rice

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
He is doing it with a belt and knee wraps... He is not using single ply... The IPF is not quite the be-all you think it is. His benches are all done with a pause in a meet. He does not hitch on his pulls...

Blah, blah, blah.... The truth is the IPF is a crap federation which is highly overly controlling of its members. You get banned if you compete in another federation? Why? What do they care? They care because they want total control of their membership. They also care because the veneer will be shattered when their members get smoked in other feds.

Tell you what, all of you IPF buffs, send your absolute best to compete against Eric, or any other top tier athlete outside of the IPF and let's see what happens. Until then, please...

And yes, there are some very good lifters in the IPF.
Jesse Norris - 19 yr old USAPL - would destroy any 198 (raw), regardless of fed.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #18
Dana Rice

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vinson View Post
maybe he could be competitive, no one knows. i'm just asking, if you can put up those numbers why wouldnt you try to earn a spot and compete for your country in norway? i dont think usa powerlifting will ban you from competing in other oraganizations? i've been out of the game a while and maybe im wrong on that one? im really not dissing him, he's obviously strong. it'd just be nice to see the sport grow and get back under one umbrella. with that being said, ive never seen anyone duplicate numbers from other organizations. totals normally tumble by the hundreds.
People hate on the IPF/USAPL because of the politics (see chris' criticism above), but the reality is most hardcore powerlifters don't like that fed because they can't total as much. Squatting to depth, legit pauses, feet flat on bench, 2 hr weigh in, drug testing, no specialty bars, no knee wraps . . . etc . . . .
Old 02-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
Dana Rice

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Rice View Post
Jesse Norris - 19 yr old USAPL - would destroy any 198 (raw), regardless of fed.
Can't edit this post, but wanted to add Mike T in the 120s
Old 02-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #20
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Rice View Post
Really, what are his numbers?

Ever heard of Shawn Frankl?