CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 06-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Tim Squires

Profile:
Small Garage Gym Competition Advice

I’ll be hosting a small competition out of my garage next month and would appreciate any feedback on the programming/scoring.* We’ll likely have between 4-8 competitors with the idea that everyone, regardless of gender or experience level, will be ranked on the same playing field.* Prior to competing, I will assign each participant a class (M1-M3 or W1-W3) and they will perform the standards listed for each event.* My hope is that the different scaling options will be compatible with the assigned athlete making everyone equally competitive.*
Event 1- 6PM: “Crossfit Total”- Athletes will have exactly 25 minutes to estabish a CFT.* There is no limit to the number of attempts allowed per lift.* *Rest exactly 5 minutes after the 25min time limit is up.* Score: Score will be made up of the sum of each completed lift, divided by the athlete's body weight.*
Scaling: *Front squat may be substituted if flexibility is an issue.* Push press will be substituted for strict press.* Deadlift standards remain the same.*
Event 2- 6:30 : Exactly 5 minutes after Event 1, complete 3 min AMRAP of HSPU, 2 min AMRAP of Pull Ups, 1min AMRAP of HR Push Ups for total reps. *Score will be made up of the total combined reps completed.
Scaling: M2/W2- HSPU is head to abmat on top of 25# bumper plate with hands on the ground.* Must show full extension of elbow at top. Pull Up is any grip, strict or kipping.* Red band is allowed for M2, Orange for W2.* M3/W3 HSPU is off box.* Orange/Blue Band is allowed.*
Event 3- 8PM: 10 Min AMRAP of: 10 Push Press (115/75), 10 KB Swings(1.5p/1p), 10 Box Jumps (24"/20")
Scaling: M2/W2- weights used will be 95/65.* M3/W3- weights used will be 75/45.*
Event 4- 3PM (Day 2)- *5K Row followed by 5K Run. (4.5k each for W1).*
Scaling: M3 with row/run 4.5k/4.5k.* W3 will row/run 4k/4.5k.
Event 5- 6:30PM- Skills Test.* 3 attempts of Max Handstand Walk, Max Height Box Jump, Max 30yd Shuttle Run and Max L-Sit.* Score will be average finish in the 4 events.*
Scaling: For the box jump, all women will add 8” to their best jump.* LSit will be performed with feet over different varying bumper height based on class.
Event 6- 7:30PM: *Complete 9-7-5 of: Front Squat (165/105), Chest to Bar Pull Ups, Deadlift (165/105), Ring Dips.
Scaling: Weights used will be 135/85.* M2 is chin over bar pull up with use of red band on ring dips.* W2 is allowed orange band on pull ups and dips.* For M3/W3, weights will be 115/75 with stronger bands.*
Event 7- 3PM: Establish 1RM Snatch in 7 minutes, complete 1 max distance Farmers Carry(225/135), Establish 1RM Clean and Jerk in 7 minutes. Score will be max snatch completed, plus distance of farmers carry in feet plus max clean and jerk completed.
Scaling:* W1 will divide lifts by 65%.* M2/W2 will divide by 85/55% and carry 225/95 using trap bar.* M3/W3 will divide lifts by 75/45% with same Farmers Carry above.
Event 8- 4PM: *9 minute AMRAP of the following: Run 150 yards while carrying a medicine ball (20/14), perform 1 thurster (135/95) and 1 toes to bar.* Run 150 yards while carrying a merdicine ball, perform 2 thursters and 2 toes to bar.* Continue the progression until time expires.* Every movement is counted as 1 rep.* Score is total reps completed at the end of the time limit.*
Scaling: M2/W2 weights will be 95/65.* M3/W3 will be 65/45.*
Event 9: 7PM: *Complete For Time: 10 OHS (95/65), 20 Shoulder to Overhead (95/65), 30 Wall Ball (20/14), 40 Over the Bar Burpees, 50 Front Squats (95/65), 60 KB Swings (1.5p/1p), 70 Air Squats, 80 Double Unders, 90 Abmat Situps, 100' Walking Lunge.
Scaling: M2/W2 BB weight will be 65/45.* 320 single jumps will be subbed.* M3/W3 will be 45/35#.* BB thrusters may be subbed for Wall Balls.*
Again, any feedback on the programming or comments on if there is any blatant unfairness would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Tim Squires

Profile:
Re: Small Garage Gym Competition Advice

Sorry about the formatting. I copy and pasted this via my iPhone.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Lucas King

Profile:

Just out of curiosity, why so many events? That's going to add up really fast! That would destroy games competitors let alone average joes.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Tim Squires

Profile:

I tried to incorporate as much as I could with the idea of some sort of heavy lift, skill/shorter workout and a traditional WOD everyday. The way I see it is there are 5 WODs with with 4 tests/skills that shouldn't take a huge toll on the Body. Also just want to see what a weekend similar to the Games would feel like.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Whew...good luck with that.

Within a 3hr time-span on Day 1:
1. Max effort lifts
2. 3min AMRAP
3. 10min AMRAP

Day 2:
1. Event 4 will probably be ~35+min
2. Skills
3. ~5min AMRAP

Day 3:
1. Max effort lifts
2. 9min AMRAP
3. Chipper
Old 06-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Wow.
A 25 Min CFT? I think that is a bit ambitious. Actually, I think that might even be dangerous - especially if you have people who are scaling because that, to me, means you have inexperienced lifters involved.
Normally, a CFT will take about 2 hours. There is a lot involved in it -- getting rack heights adjust properly for the squat and press. Plus, people need a decent amount of time to warm up EACH of these lifts, and have sufficient time to recover before their next lifts. Remember - a CFT is a max effort work out, and IMHO, is not to be trifled with.

good luck.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
David Sigmon

Profile:

I agree with Sean, that's pretty ambitious. I mean think of it this way, it takes me 4-5 warm-up sets for squats to get anywhere close to my max squat. I'm certainly not going to sacrafice a warmup set to rush my total knowing damn good and well it could lead to a pulled hammy or quad strain etc. I'd select one single lift to find a max effort on and leave it at that. You could incorporate double unders as they did in the regional workout for tie breakers etc.