CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Rob Brown

Profile:
Adding running post wod?

I Was thinking about adding a mile or two after the wod. My goal would be to improve metcon ability, and shed fat. That said, I don't want to negatively effect my programing.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Adding running post wod?

You can do some light cardio afterwards, but make it light, not another workout. You can also do it on your days off.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Rob Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
You can do some light cardio afterwards, but make it light, not another workout. You can also do it on your days off.
I was thinking about days off. After wods would be super convenient though.

How does it effect the main workout and strength development?.. I know it does, but never quite drilled down enough to find out why it did.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
I was thinking about days off. After wods would be super convenient though.

How does it effect the main workout and strength development?.. I know it does, but never quite drilled down enough to find out why it did.
I workout Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. If I want some extra cardio, I'll do it on Wednesday and Saturday. The only time it has interfered for me was when I did cardio on a thursday and I had Max Effort Lower day on Friday, which was Squats. My legs were just shot, even though it was 60 minute light cardio.

If you program it right, get enough sleep, and you eat plenty of food, especially on your strength days, it shouldn't affect you that much.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
Eric Shuty

Profile:

Quote:
I workout Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. If I want some extra cardio, I'll do it on Wednesday and Saturday. The only time it has interfered for me was when I did cardio on a thursday and I had Max Effort Lower day on Friday, which was Squats. My legs were just shot, even though it was 60 minute light cardio.

If you program it right, get enough sleep, and you eat plenty of food, especially on your strength days, it shouldn't affect you that much.
Remind me again how 60 minutes of anything can be classified as "light"?

And in reality, any kind of "cardio" affect strength. The real question is finding the balance that YOU want. If you find adding the running has an undesirable result then change it or stop....
Old 04-03-2012, 04:54 AM   #6
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shuty View Post

And in reality, any kind of "cardio" affect strength. The real question is finding the balance that YOU want. If you find adding the running has an undesirable result then change it or stop....
Elliptical for 20 minutes, bike for another 20 minutes, and airdyne for another 20 minutes is pretty light. Also a slow jog for 20 minutes is light.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shuty View Post

Again what he said

60 minutes of anything is not light, it takes your body longer to recover from steady state then intervals. However I do 2 steady state days, Wed and Sat, but they don't exceed 30 minutes.

Wednesdays consist of prowler and sprint mechanics. Saturdays are either 5k hill run up and down hill not steady incline, 2k row, or airdyne.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. Miller View Post
Again what he said

60 minutes of anything is not light, it takes your body longer to recover from steady state then intervals. However I do 2 steady state days, Wed and Sat, but they don't exceed 30 minutes.

Wednesdays consist of prowler and sprint mechanics. Saturdays are either 5k hill run up and down hill not steady incline, 2k row, or airdyne.
If 30 minutes is light for you, that's fine. Do whatever works for you. For me, 60 minutes is light because my strength is and has always been cardio.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
Wes Palmer

Profile:

Crossfit Endurance used to have some great routines, not sure if its still around though
Old 04-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

Quote:

If your legs were shot the next day, it wasn't light. It might have been easy for you, but that doesn't make it "light".