CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-21-2003, 11:46 AM   #1
Derrick Payne

Profile:  
What's the general consensus on Creatin. I've spoken to a nutrional expert who has told me there are very few side effects and that taken at the right dosage offers great benifits to the athelete?
Old 07-21-2003, 08:24 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Creatine has a pretty impressive list of benefits. I think 5gm/day is a great idea.
Robb
Old 07-22-2003, 01:52 AM   #3
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
I never really was a supplements guy...But then again, I donīt want to dismiss something out of sheer ignorance. Does someone mind telling me what those benefits that creatine offers are?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2003, 05:49 AM   #4
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I've taken creatine and didn't really notice any major benefits or drawbacks of it. But some people swear by the stuff, so it can't be all bad. I think it had more of a placebo effect on me...I was expecting certain things so I had more energy and was more excited about working out, but those things never tapered after I quit taking creatine, so that would indicate no real change to me.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:55 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
As I understand it, creatine is part of the energy supply system to the cells. Creatine is used for energy after the first second or two of high energy work. After a few seconds, the energy system switches to other, less effecient energy sources. So, in my layman's understanding, creatine is important for short bursts of energy demands. If your body has more creatine in its system, it can use creatine as an energy supply for a longer period before switching to a less efficient energy supply.

That means having an abundance of creatine supply will not help much in a 1RM nor will it help much in a marathon. But it will help in thing like sprints and multiple rep sets of weight training, work that lasts more than a couple of seconds but less than a minute. You'll last a little longer before running out of gas.

That's my take on it.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:00 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Creatine has been shown to increase good cholesterol, decrease bad cholesterol, protects brain tissue from hypoxic reperfusion....a quick perusal of med pulls up quite a list of benefits.
Robb
Old 07-22-2003, 10:21 PM   #7
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Robb:

Do you currently or have you ever taken creatine?
Old 07-22-2003, 10:24 PM   #8
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
I believe creatine is found in meats... so I'm sure us zone/paleo folks get plenty. On the other hand, looks like it would be tough to get the high levels required for the effects Robert mentioned, without supplementing.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:34 PM   #9
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Patrick- I have in the past but am not currently. Whenever I see a good sale I will pick some up and take 5-10gm/day. John told me I missed one of your emails! Please try me at robbwolf@hotmail.com I need to collect that pint!

Brad- One does actually get up into the 3-5 gm range with a consumption of 200-300gm meat /day. A little high for zone standards, a little low for paleo.
Robb