CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-30-2003, 03:34 AM   #1
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
I need some opinion here for my next article. I want brutal honesty.

Do you believe that exercise training will make up for a reckless lifestyle? Do you know anyone who exercise trains and uses it as an excuse for wine, women and song. Do you ever justify your dining or party habit with 'I workout'

I hope this is clear and I appreciate everyones thoughts.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:43 AM   #2
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Michael:

I think that perhaps when one is young, one may use this logic. However, the young can live a "reckless" lifestyle and get away with it precisely because they are young. As we get older, we realize that this kind of lifestyle will not only reduce or negate the productivity of our workouts, but will decrease our overall quality of life. I consider myself to be young (33) and I do indulge once in a while. What I consider indulging would probably not meet the criteria for a "reckless" lifestyle but I don't use the fact that I workout as an excuse. I do it because there are times that I feel it is appropriate to celebrate or just cut loose a bit with family and friends. The fact that I work hard at my fitness probably reduces the frequency and intensity of these indulgences, but it makes them more rewarding as well as I have little guilt about it.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:00 AM   #3
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
I am embarassed to say I've used exercise as an excuse for un-healthy habits in the past... frequently during my undergraduate years. Those days are over, and an occasional indulgence (beer) is all that remains. However I can certainly say that recovery from "hard partying" is not as complete as some would like to think. That is, while my body eventually recovered and became stronger, the effects on my mind/spirit are more lasting.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:16 AM   #4
David Werner

Profile:
Michael

I spent 12 years as a Navy SEAL, during that time I saw some extreme examples of this rationalization, and used it myself to some extent. What I observed was that excercise does make ammends for a lot of sins in the short term. If you are young, aggresive and wild you can burn your candle very brightly indeed.

Over time however, it catches up to you, guys start to look old beyond their years. Chronic and/or permanent injuries occur. Energy levels drop permanently and personality becomes truly unpleasant. Think impossibly sour and grumpy old fat man.

Dave
Old 05-30-2003, 11:41 AM   #5
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
..this is all good folks. Keep it going.
Old 05-31-2003, 01:05 PM   #6
SHANE WERNER

Profile:

Michael

i am currently in Germany AKA. i can buy beer and what not. i am 17 and do go out and party hard on weekends, alot of my friends do use the excuse of working out to justify their partying. mostly the attitude for my age group is,

live fast,
die young,
and leave a handsom corps

stupid i know but it seems to be the norm

shane
Old 06-01-2003, 02:22 PM   #7
Nick Martinez

Profile:
Oh boy this is RIGHT up my alley. I used this rationalization and throughout my high school years up til age 21, I probably worked out more to allow me to party my brains out without getting fat rather than for the fitness benefits. That all changed when a good friend (very good friend-he turned me on to crossfit) let me know that the extra layer of "pudge" around my belly that seemed to be impossible to get rid of was only gonna go away if I stopped my nightly beer habit. Now its occasionally only. One question to put out there:
Since I stopped partying regularly to point of serious intoxication (We're talking on average maybe 8-10 beers, x number of shots depending on the company----I used to live in Italy if that helps rationalize this insanity) I found that my hangover on days after I get smashed now are twice as bad and working out after a night of partying is impossible for me. Anyone else had similar experiences? Also, does anyone find themselves fighting the "social smoker" habit as I am?

Nick
Old 06-01-2003, 06:11 PM   #8
Daniel Ramos

Profile:
I turned 25 a week ago, have seriously cut down on my drinking during the last year *** well as inproved my diet 100% and am very happy with the results. I never nesesarily worked out to justify my partying, but I did not relate the two sides of my personality. As I get older I notice that everything you do affects everything else.

Nick- I battle with the social smoking thing also, I have never had a cigaret without a beer in my hand, but it gets really hard not to have one after the third or fourth drink. I'm improving thoug.

good luck
Daniel
Old 06-30-2003, 02:52 AM   #9
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Michael,

It may be a little late but you have a good thread going here. I am 23, have always been athletic, but I have been seriously working out for the past 2 years. I quit smoking 3 months ago, and restructured my diet (although it wasn´t that bad) at about the same time.

I would smoke a pack a day, and have a blast everytime I smoked any of my non-smoking friends at 6 mile runs, a 3 on 3 or what have you...When they were gasping for air I would grin, and when the question came «how in hell can you do this» ,I would feel invincible and mighty cool!

I didn´t work out to make up for the harm I was doing to my body but I wouldn´t get motivated to quit since it wouldn´t restrict me in MY workouts.

I finally did quit after selling myselsf to the idea that it´s a character flaw, and a weakness...One week after, I cannot even describe how I felt! I wa running, lifting, pushing and pulling like a maniac, and the more I saw my stamina improved the more I worked out!

I will never drink during the week, since I´ve noticed a vertical drop in my performance by drinking even the slightest amounts (plus it affects my sleep). During the weekend, which is the break from my training, I will drink, and will end up light-headed some times.

This all is in moderation of course, and I have been giving much more forethought to my alcohol consumption over the weekend.

BTW, what I found scary this Sunday while swimming with a buddy of mine from one beach to the next, is that the previous Saturday night´s drinking made me shiver from the cold in the water (in WARM water), I was completely dehydrated, and was hauling *** after just a couple of hundred meters...

This, in contrast to feeling as hard as a rock the previous night after a couple of drinks! (can someone explain this? Why my muscles will stiffen after a few drinks?)