CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-18-2003, 01:03 PM   #1
David Mcevoy

Profile:
I have been following the zone diet for 2 months but I have a few questions that I hope someone might be able to help me with. I currently weigh 156lbs, I am 5'6'' and have 8% bf (still some way to go I know!)and since following the diet I have lost weight and through the WOD I have gained strength and muscle mass, yet I still have cravings and some times feel tired and sluggish. I have religiously followed the guidlines given in 'enter the zone' but currently use the 0.7 modifier to calculate my protein requirement as I am currently only doing the WOD and the Armstrong program but not 'rolling'. What should I do as increasing my protein intake to 1g per lean body weight will do little to alter my current level? Secondly, whilst I strive to keep to a minimum my intake of high gly foods, my busy work shedule often precludes lengthy prep of leafy carbs (everyday) when a pitta or wholemeal bread is a shortcut (but high gly)alternative. Does anyone have any good/fast alternatives that they could recommend that are still good gly foods? Many thanks in advance Dave.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:06 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
David-

I would move the protein up to at least the 1g/ lb lean body weight...perhaps even a bit more...tinker with that. When you get down to about 5% you will need to bring your fat intake up a bit, anywhere from 2-5 blocks depending upon activity level. Where one has some serious tinkering with the zone is in the protein and fat...the recomendations there are the minimum starting values and could go higher depending upon the individual (I go about 1.6g protein...I just feel better here). The carb recomendation is pretty much the maximum...which brings us to carbs. Nutritionaly and considering glycemic load a peice or two of fruit is far superior to any type of bread product. My "quick" food is meat cut into thin smallish pieces and either broiled or BBQ (cook slow and low heat...avoid charing), fruit which can include some dried fruit like plums, and some nuts. Id love to get some sort of green leafy at every meal but if I am really busy I stick to the above mentioned menu including things like carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower which can be prepared the night before, stored in water and are quick to grab and munch. It is a bit of planning but it becomes a very inexpensive yet sound approach.

I hope this helps!
Robb
Old 05-19-2003, 12:03 AM   #3
Janet Fisher

Profile:

Hey, Robb, in your broccoli and cauliflower preparation, are you cooking them (like steaming them)? I know when they're eaten raw, they can cause... ahem... social indiscretions.

Can you store steamed, el dente broccoli and cauliflower be stored in water for a while?
Old 05-19-2003, 12:07 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Janet-
I do not steam them. If I am eating NO grains/dairy I have absolutely no GI problems.
Robb
Old 05-19-2003, 12:33 PM   #5
David Mcevoy

Profile:
Robb, many thanks for the advice I will give it a try and let you know how I get on.
Dave:happy:
Old 07-02-2003, 12:23 PM   #6
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
don't know if any of you still talking nutrition but here is my two cents worth. I started Zoning about a year and a half ago. at 5'9" 162 1bs and about 6/7% body fat, i was having g.i. problems, borderline high b.p. and cholesterol at about 210(my hdl's are 80 so most docs say don't worry). anyway, b.p. now runs consistently at 110/64 with some minor ups and downs. haven't redone my cholesterol but expect improvement and the g.i. problems gone. recently, let some of the 4 whites back into my diet to experiment and the g.i. problems came right back. 4 whites = bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. the Zone is just a real healthy way to eat. my wife also zones. at 5'4" she was up to 135 and frustrated that smaller portions and exercise were not helping. the zone put her back down to 112(her pre child weight)in one year. ctchafire