CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-02-2003, 05:16 PM   #1
Justin Rawley

Profile:

Hey guys,
I don't know if this is a common complaint, but I am always hungry. I eat all the time and I used to eat just about anything (except heavy fats and fried things). For about the last six months, I have tried to cut refined sugars and starches, first dropping sodas from 20oz+ per day to 1 or 2 10oz servings or less per week. A lot of all the other sugary foods I used to eat are significantly reduced or nixed altogether. I now eat more fruits to get the simple sugars but I'm still always hungry. My protein intake is good. What is the deficit?
Old 07-02-2003, 05:46 PM   #2
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I'm no expert, and I'm not skinny, but I'm not hungry, either, and I'm going to have to go with fat.

The definition of the "Zone" in the Zone diet is that you have no hunger for 4-6 hours after a meal, and good mental clarity. The Zone, of course, is 30% of your calories from Protein, 30% from fat (good fat, now), and 40% low glycemic index carbohydrates. Some fruits are actually pretty high glycemic index, so that could be an issue also.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:44 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
It could be diet, it could also be partially genetic, or your specific activities/lifestyle. I'm also hungry all the time. I'm a bit hyperthyroid because of some issues with my mom while she was carrying me so that's part of it.

There is no way I can go 4-6 hours after a meal with no hunger unless I absolutely stuff myself, and that just aint good. I eat almost every 2 hrs. I wake up starving almost every morning.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:05 AM   #4
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I'm like you Roger (without the hyperthyroid). I eat about every 3 hours....an apple, a pear, nuts, something healthy. I make sure I get enough fat in my diet...mainly from dairy and nut sources. But there's no way I could go 4-6 hours without food unless I just stuff myself.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:35 AM   #5
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Same here.. three meals, plus snacks between every meal (veggies, nuts, strips of meat, some fruit)
Old 07-03-2003, 01:03 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
If I am really low-carbing I will "get hungry" but I am not at the point of killing somthing to eat. The feeling of hunger from ones body needing fuel vs the feeling of hunger from an insulin rebound is very different in my expereince.
Robb
Old 07-04-2003, 10:36 AM   #7
Scott Parker

Profile:
if robb remembers any of my previous pots he can attest to me complaining of the same thing! for me it's just a fact of life. i have a ridiculously fast metabolism, but i have to say that once my body became more "used" to this diet (and i think it actually took months for it to really happen) i don't get as hungry, but i eat every three hours. if i don't i am out of it. but it a different feeling like robb said from being hungry due to needing energy compared to being hungry as a result of an insulin spike. what robb kept telling me was be patient and don't be afraid to "tinker " (as he put it) with your diet to find out what works best for you.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:22 PM   #8
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
smaller balanced meals 5/6x daily with snacks of fruit/yoghurt/nuts. peanut butter good as long as the peanuts only kind. olive oil in stir fry. the monounsaturated fats do not stimulate and insulin response and so can eat them more often.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:03 AM   #9
Justin Rawley

Profile:

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback.
I eat lots of nuts and veggies, plus a ton of citrus, and I do use olive oil when I cook. I eat probably a good 5-6 times a day if I'm not just constantly putting something into my mouth. I have to admit though, on the rare occasion that I allow myself a small soft drink and a candy bar (about once a week), sometimes that just hits the spot - without an apparent insulin rebound. Like some of you, I also have a tremendoulsy high metabolism. For that reason, I used to burn processed sugars preferentially, I assume because they were quick energy and easily obtained, but now that I've weened myself away from them, I find some sweet things no longer as appealing.
I've always had trouble gaining weight (being on the ectomorphic side of things), even when I was at my weightlifting peak, so now after injury, I'm trying hard to shift into an overall anabolic state, rather than a catabolic one. I see several variations on more or less the same diet, only the balance of fat/protein/carb and time between meals seems to vary. I'm not the greatest cook either, so any tasty recipes you might have, please send them my way.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:21 AM   #10
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Justin-

The www.paleofoods.com list serv has loads of recepies. Grab a copy of the zone if you have not read it and dont be afraid to add more good quality fats to the plan.
Robb