CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-12-2003, 06:41 AM   #1
Matt Cullen

Profile:

Hi,

Has anyone done the warrior diet and stuck with it. I tryed it a couple of months back but I really struggled with my energy levels. Although I do agree with maybe having a undereating day each week when you have a day off training. What are your views?
Thanks Matt Cullen
Old 07-12-2003, 08:48 AM   #2
brian smith

Profile:  
Hi Matt,
I have been using a modified version of the warrior diet for about 6 months now and its been working wonders for me. I have great clarity of thought and my strength and energy levels are still high even though I technically eat once a day. When I followed Ori's plan strictly I found that the hunger was unbearable. Instead of going all day with absolutely nothing. I make sure I have at least 1 to 2 high fat snacks during the day. Like a hand full of nuts for example. I keep my carbs below about 100 grams a day and I found tweaking the diet this way keeps me from getting the slightest bit hungry through out the day and keeps me from overeating on my one meal in the evening. So far I have been losing about a pound and a half of body fat a week and my clothes are looser at the waist and tighter in my shoulders arms and chest (thanks Coach!). I tried the zone diet but I got sick of doing mathimatical computations 5 times a day every time I needed to eat and obsessing over meal times. Now I only have to plan and cook one good solid meal! The zone felt good to me when I was on it but I just lacked the discipline or inclination to follow it religously.

Hope this helps,

Brian
Old 07-12-2003, 02:39 PM   #3
Matt Cullen

Profile:

Brian,

I agree that a diet where you have to count calories and weigh things just doesn't work in the real world. I agree with the Bill philips 'body for life' principles when it comes to measureing out food. I like the idea of the 'Warrior diet' it's just I need the food for energy when I am doing endurance training (triathlons). I am going to try the zone diet but if what you said about mathematics at every meal is true then I can't see it lasting long.

Cheers Matt.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:41 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Matt-
Check out Natural Hormonal Enhancement by Rob Faigan.
Robb
Old 07-13-2003, 06:10 AM   #5
Matt Cullen

Profile:

Rob,

Wow, Checked out the book 'natural hormonal enhancement' on Amazon and they wanted 197 dollars for it. Do you know where i could get one cheaper?

Cheers Matt Cullen
Old 07-13-2003, 08:21 AM   #6
Mike Minium

Profile:
Matt,

Here's the official site for Natural Hormonal Enhancement:

http://www.extique.com/nhe.html

It looks like you have to go through a reseller to get a copy of the paperback version. The hardcover is listed at $39.99.

Mike
Old 07-13-2003, 11:52 AM   #7
Scott Shafer

Profile:
Check here:

https://www2.acadia.net/cgi-bin/BAC/web_store.cgi?product=Publications&cart_id=9 29565_22837

US $28.

--Scott
Old 07-16-2003, 04:05 AM   #8
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
I´m curious about this warrior diet. How can it be that I can maintain my metabolic rate at its peak throughout the day when my body is getting no nutrients and thus goes into «standby» mode? And how can I not stuff myself at this one meal if I am to take my needed 3800 calories?!

Is there good backing behind this or is it mostly a «practical» diet?

Cheers!
Old 07-16-2003, 08:31 AM   #9
brian smith

Profile:  
The author of the warrior diet doesn't really offer any real medical sources for his reasoning behind what he advocates. He sites some anecdotal historical stuff referencing Roman Soldier's diets and such. I eat this way purely because its practical for me. So far since cross fit and lowcarbing warrior style I have lost 35 pounds of fat in 6 months and increased my strength and agility. But the trick for me is that I still have about 30 to lose so. As I get closer to my goal body fat percentage its going to get much tougher mainting the fat loss and I will be forced to go back to the zone because of its precision.(darn it!) To get the calories you need on your one main meal just be liberal with the good fats, they hold twice as many calories per gram than protein or carbs. I am learning french cooking and I am very liberal with those lovely rich sauces. :-) As far as energy goes when their is little food in my belly I live off my ample fat reserves through out the day. I still eat a little during the day I just make sure its the fattiest snack I can find too keep myself well satiated and happy. My favorites are nuts and liberal doses of cream in my decaff coffee. After I read some on calorie restriction and longetivity and Ultimate Diet Secrets by Dr. Ellis something clicked for me and I abandoned the zone diet and started eating this new way. And its been working like a charm. No matter what any one tells you it still boils down to calories in versus calories out. I use the lowcarb style to help keep my apetite in check and indirectly keep my calories down until I am forced to count them. I have no idea if I am operating at peak metobolic effeciency. I just feel great and I am getting leaner and stonger. Bottom line is it works for me. I think the zone is by far better researched and documented eating plan. I'm simply too lazy to follow it right now therefore its not practical for me for the time being.

Cheers,
Brian

Ps. If you want the skinny on fats visit www.westonaprice.org
Old 07-17-2003, 06:25 AM   #10
Mike Rounsville

Profile:  
I agree that the zone feels good while you are on it...but like Brian do not have the discipline to stick with it day in and day out...I tried the warrior diet for only ONE DAY and felt like I understood why ancient warriors fought so hard...they were fighting for the other side's food!!! I have about 20 lbs I want to drop so have tried the zone and atkins but just find Bill Phillips "Body for Life" system the easiest and most realistic....