CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Re: Who has ownership of FGB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale F. Saran View Post
Becca - I hope I didn't come across as too strident. I apologize. I know Scott and Andy are friends and I knew you had close ties to the LA CF crew. I wasn't trying to drop the hammer on you, but when I hear people say "SportsGrants" created FGB, it kind of gives me a case of the @ss. Again, I apologize - you didn't deserve both barrels.

I know you've been on here and around the community for quite some time. And I really appreciate what you've done for women in MMA and BJJ. I've read those Journal pieces, as well.

Thanks.

Dale
Thanks, Dale - and no worries, I totally get how things can get sensitive, so nothing personal taken. I know you deal with a lot more shenanigans than any of us could possibly ever imagine, so thanks for being a presence here on the forums, too.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 02-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Thanks for the heads up on this. People sometimes just don't get "intellectual property rights" until a judge spells it out for them.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
Todd Katz

Profile:

Seems pretty stupid and short-sighted of this guy Scott..... I won't speak for other affiliate owners, but I in no way want to do business with a person that is suing us. Hammer Down CrossFit has raised almost 40,000 dollars over the last two events... I'd rather be associated with whatever CrossFit HQ is supporting.

Looks like CrossFit is now doing a FGB fundraiser in June....which is coming up on us fast. Is there more information on that somewhere?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #14
Jacob Tsypkin

Profile:

Absurd beyond comprehension.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
Dave Eisen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Katz View Post
Seems pretty stupid and short-sighted of this guy Scott..... I won't speak for other affiliate owners, but I in no way want to do business with a person that is suing us. Hammer Down CrossFit has raised almost 40,000 dollars over the last two events... I'd rather be associated with whatever CrossFit HQ is supporting.

Looks like CrossFit is now doing a FGB fundraiser in June....which is coming up on us fast. Is there more information on that somewhere?
Now I'm confused..I got a voicemail a few weeks ago from CrossFit HQ asking for my affiliate's support for FGB on June 9th. The message stated proceeds were going to St. Jude's. I also don't want to support someone who is in litigation against CrossFit, so is the June 9th event legit or is it the September 22nd event?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #16
Theo Tsekouras

Profile:

I have to admit, I thought it was odd that sports grant started giving away oly shoes for team leaders. Especially so soon considering they don't start marketing till June. I signed up this morning, then saw this from John at P3. We will now refuse the sept. workout. Loyalty is key in the fire dept.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #17
Danny Sidebottom

Profile:

I signed up with Sportsgrants before reading this also. If I win the shoes I plan on keeping them.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:26 AM   #18
Mike Kelley

Profile:

Glad I 'm not the only one that signed up for the one in September

I'm torn, simply because I like the charities and what FGB7 is supporting, but not the drama behind it

Hopefully HQ gets something out soon about theirs.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #19
John McPherson

Profile:

In my attempt to clarify the actual date and figure out what was going on with FGB, I put a post up here on the message boards but didn't realize it was actually a serious issue and not just a miss-type with the dates. After seeing Dale's response I contacted Affiliate Support for further clarification and eliminate speculation.

John,

The situation is that CrossFit, Inc. has severed all ties with Sports Grants, and Sports Grants has just now sued CrossFit, Inc. claiming they own the trademark to the term "Fight Gone Bad", and to the workout. Their trademark registration documents say they had first use of "Fight Gone Bad" in the summer of 2006, which was the first year they did their fundraiser. "Fight Gone Bad" was obviously in use before then, because we did the workout at my first seminar in the early fall of 2005, and it was famous back then. Their trademark registration is being opposed, but that is a long process, as the lawsuit will be.

You decide what to do, but my affiliate is not going to have anything to do with Sports Grants, and I'm telling all my members to leave them alone.

Regards,

Dan MacDougald
CrossFit HQ & CrossFit Atlanta

Hi John,

Thank you for contacting us! As Dan has stated we are severing all ties with Sports Grants however, HQ will continue to host FGB this year on Saturday June 9 and all funds raised will go to benefit Saint Jude's Childrens Hospital. As we have more information, your Affiliate Ambassador will be in contact with you.

Please call me if you would like to discuss in further detail. 928.499.****. (I edited the # -John)

Lisa M. Gibson
CrossFit Inc. | CFHQ Public Relations

I'm very confident CF HQ will release and publish more information about this event as the date nears. Besides, we all have the CF Open to focus on right now anyway.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #20
Daniel Blackmon

Profile:

With all of this being said...I'd be willing to bet that there are two sides to this story. I've participated in Fight Gone Bad for many years. I've raised over $20,000 for Wounded Soldiers and the families of Soldiers that were killed. I would like someone at CrossFit to explain to me why we are taking a fundraiser that, by name, is and has been for years associated with helping veterans and their families and using it for a different charity.

CrossFit Inc. has many workouts, lots of publicity, lots of resources and could develop, establish, publicize any of said workouts to raise money for St. Judes. But instead, they are choosing to take a fundraiser name that is already established and change its beneficiary. It would be like Race for the Cure all of a sudden changing their beneficiary to HIV efforts in Africa. Both are noble causes but could be confusing for the donors and those who are meant to run the events.

I am afraid that this pi$$ing match is going to lead to less dollars into the hands of the very people we are trying to help.

In true "full exposure" fashion, I will admit that I know Scott and Greta Zagarino and they are good people who I truly believe have giving hearts. They are not shy about telling you that they make a living running Sportsgrants but I'm pretty sure they aren't planning on buying any vaction property in Boca just yet. I think they are just trying to protect something that they have nurtured for many years and finally grown into a very successful event.

You can say that CF is doing this to protect the affiliates but call me a skeptic when there are millions of dollars involved.