CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
Dylan Lunde

Profile:
Problem with left knee

I recently started doing crossfit ive been in martial arts for 4 years and a gym goer for 2 years now and have not had any major injuries but for some reason i get a bad pain in my left knee doing squats i have proper technique observed by my trainer anyone have some solutions to get rid of this pain like strecthing techniques or any kind of methods thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Problem with left knee

Need waaaay more information.

If you want a real diagnosis, see an orthopedic doc.

If you want a guess by myself, we can do that..

1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.

2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt? Make sure you check both with passive motion and resistive/active motion. Also tell me when and what movements during these exercises are eliciting the pain?

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~6-8 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.

8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?

9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?

11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?

12. Any previous injury history?

13. How's your posture?

14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?

15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Dylan Lunde

Profile:

Its a sharp pain in my left knee right in the middle of the knee cap and when i go down during a squat i feel the pain as i start to come up, this is the first time ive felt that pain i do not feel the pain doing any other type of crossfit excersize just squats so far i have never gotten into a major accident where it needed to be reapired or anything like that but i have noticed when i kick my leg back stretching it will 9 time out of 10 click but just for the one time,i have been using these rollers at my gym and ill lay on the side where my knee hurts and roll it out for a little
Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

So where is the pain exactly,... pointed out on a picture preferably?

It would be nice if you can answer the questions too cause the quality of my educated guess gets better with more information.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Dylan Lunde

Profile:

I couldnt load the picture but from looksing at a picture it looks to be the patella tendon
Old 01-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Have you been using your knee a lot recently?

I suppose it could be tendonitis...
Old 01-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
John Redshaw

Profile:

I have similar problem...my pain mostly occurring after exercise. I get swelling around the patella. After a lot of searching, I found that my problem isn't the knee. The knee pain is just a symptom. The actual problem is stiffness or lack of mobility above and below the knee. The knee is suffering the consequences as I compensate for bad positioning.

Try increasing the mobility in your hips, quads, hamstrings, calves and ankle. Check out MobilityWod.com, if you haven't already. During my searches I came across a list of good episodes dealing with this.

Episode 59: Upstream and Downstream (knee-itis). And the Bear, Episode 107/365: A Friend Calls With Knee “itis” Below the Patella, Episode 237/365: Heel Cord Love, Episode 253/365: Knee Pain Case Study, Episode 267/365: MobRx for Lound, Creaky Knees, Episode 281/365: Runner’s Legs and Hip Extension, Episode 305/365: Solving Problems With The Tunnel: The Foot Strike
There are several others that hit aspects of knee pain do a search using knee.
Also go to the CrossFit Journal Kelly has a 3 part series “Solving Knee Problems” and “Ready State and Injury”

Also, YouTube search "rebuilding Khalipa". 5 part series of Kelly working with Khalipa and making a big change in squat positioning by addressing hip mobility.

Go luck