CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-13-2011, 06:18 AM   #1
Patrick Artemisio

Profile:
Pain in chest area

I have had this pain before. Before, it came after doing high reps of push ups (upwards of 300 per day) on multiple days. I was hoping I wouldn't have to deal with it again since I have not been doing high rep stuff like that. Here is a post I made on another board about it:

"I have been using the hundred push ups program. The site is hundredpushups.com

I just did week three day three with the hardest column. During it I started to get a pain in my chest. The pain is where your chest connects to your shoulder, right in between the two. I have had this pain before when attempting this same program before. Does anybody know what this pain would be? I am guessing the program just progresses too much too fast for me since I have been doing basically no physical activity for over two years?

Some answers to questions you might have:

I can do 6x push ups max when rested.
I used to be able to do 14x push ups max.
I didn't have a routine before in order to be able to do that many, my job (mechanic) kept me in shape.
I had the two years off because I broke my knee and had to have three surgeries on it.
Last time when the pain started, it started during the same week of the program.

Thanks for any help "

I know what is bringing this on this time is the strength workout I have been doing on bench. I can barely feel it coming, and probably won't feel it at all tomorrow when I am supposed to bench again. Last time it happened, I could barely tighten the area. I have been doing the bench on Mon, Wed, and Fri.

If it gets worse, it will basically feel like it is really tight. It will also have kind of a sore feeling to it if I touch it when it gets that bad.

When I went to the doctor last time, they just basically gave me a general diagnosis (which happens all the time with me). He just asked questioned and that was it. I don't like going to the doctors because this happens all the time with me (once I almost died because a doc said nothing was wrong with me when in fact I had a ruptured spleen).

I think I have covered everything.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:51 AM   #2
Patrick Artemisio

Profile:
Re: Pain in chest area

To be more specific, if it gets worse it will feel like that area has tightened up considerably. And then it would be really sore/tender to the touch and to any movement that stretches it at all (even raising my arm up from my side at all).
Old 11-21-2011, 05:10 AM   #3
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

i guess it would be a overuse injury.

the first time i did 150burpees.. two days later my chest was almost too painful to live with. i could identify to a portion of a millimetre the location of mu pecs and they hurt like crazy to touch.. i learned my lesson .....

H
Old 11-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Sounds like possibly a very tight pec minor or subclavius.

If it's pec minor try to "foam roll" it by lying your chest down on a basketball and rolling the area out.

If not, use your hands to try to get in and massage the muscles.

If you can't do that then put your arms behind you to do an extension stretch, or do the skin-the-cat / german hang position on the rings and leg yourself hang to stretch the pec major/pec minor/subclavius
Old 11-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Patrick Artemisio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Sounds like possibly a very tight pec minor or subclavius.

If it's pec minor try to "foam roll" it by lying your chest down on a basketball and rolling the area out.

If not, use your hands to try to get in and massage the muscles.

If you can't do that then put your arms behind you to do an extension stretch, or do the skin-the-cat / german hang position on the rings and leg yourself hang to stretch the pec major/pec minor/subclavius

I looked up pec minor on google to see what it was. That looks like it would be where the problem lies. The tightness is mostly gone now. Can you think of any reason this would happen? I really don't think it is over training because of my background. I do believe however that it could just be something that is wrong and push exercises aggravate it (I just don't understand why it would appear out of nowhere when I had no problems before).

I am going to be talking to a chiropractor (also a Crossfitter) I was going to for active release on my knee after breaking it. I hope he can figure it out himself (I'm sure he can because of how knowledgeable he is). If he can't figure it out I am going to ask for his opinion on who to see.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

If your posture is poor, that could be an issue.

Too many pushing exercises without as much back work to balance it out can also make it tighter.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
Patrick Artemisio

Profile:

Quote:
Too many pushing exercises without as much back work to balance it out can also make it tighter.
Hmm, I hadn't thought about that. Closest thing to pulling exercises are hang cleans on the bench days, plus whatever Crossfit wod has.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

If you're imbalanced you should try to do 2 pull for every 1 push for a while to help start to balance it out.

And focus on better posture too.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
Patrick Artemisio

Profile:

Quote:
If you're imbalanced you should try to do 2 pull for every 1 push for a while to help start to balance it out.

And focus on better posture too.

Thanks for the suggestions. Posture is good. Current max on pull ups is 12 strict. Last tested max on bench was 240lb.

Edit: my max 1 rep weighted pull up is somewhere around 50lb (within a couple pounds of 50).

Last edited by Patrick Artemisio : 11-23-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Artemisio View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Posture is good. Current max on pull ups is 12 strict. Last tested max on bench was 240lb.

Edit: my max 1 rep weighted pull up is somewhere around 50lb (within a couple pounds of 50).
Pullups hit the lats and pecs pretty hard which are internal rotators of the shoulders.

I would hit up some specific rowing variations (except not upright rows) to get some scap retractor work in