CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-23-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
Jordan Derksen

Profile:
How long does it take to regain conditioning?

Thinking about taking the remainder of the year and hitting heavy lifting only to gain some weight. I have pretty respectable times at this point; recently ran an 8:10 Helen which is alright. If I layed off conditioning entirely or only hit one every week or two how long would it take to get it back?

I'm tired of being weak sauce. Strength bias work just moves too slowly and obviously I don't gain any weight because of the metcons. I already know what I'm going to be doing so I'm not asking about that. I just like competing and would like to know if I could be competition ready again by the open. Hopefully with my newfound strength I could blow past some old records quite fast.

Anyone had experience with this? Or is slow steady strength gains alongside conditioning work the way to go?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Dustin Standel

Profile:
Re: How long does it take to regain conditioning?

I think you can keep your conditioning - do metcons 2-3 times a week, but keep them short. Set a 10 minute time cap. Look at Greyskull Linear Progression - primarily a strength program, but built around the idea of maintaining a basic level of conditioning as well. This may not be the type of program you are following, but there are still worthy principles in it. Also, consider that while you will maintain conditioning for short duration workouts, you will need to work to rebuild longer duration work like used for Murph.

Otherwise, I think in a month to 1.5 months you'd regain your conditioning, if you maintain the same diet the whole way through. The funny thing about diet is if you want to gain weight, you need to up your caloric intake. When you switch back to your normal diet now at the end of your strength cycle, for 3-4 weeks your metcon will be down from diet changes so add a month extra.

I remember Robb Wolf discussing on his first podcast that a lot of crossfitters hit this pitfall of not considering the effects of diet and diet changes on metcon performance.
My Workout Log Box Jump-36"; Deadlift-335; Clean and Jerk-150; Split Jerk-155; Weighted Pullup-20; Squat-245; Press-140; Bench-210; 3RM Thruster-145; DT 22:43 (105#)
Old 09-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
Chris Mason

Profile:

That depends on your age, health, and heredity, but assuming you are young and in good health it won't take very long. I would say 30-60 days.

Like the other fellow said, you can do WODs 2 times and week (on your off days) and maintain and possibly even build your conditioning.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

When I did strict Starting Strength, a lot of food and no met-cons I went from 178 to 196 in two months. Got a lot stronger. My conditioning fell off hard but it did come back in about 60 days once I went to 2 heavy lifting days 3 met-cons a week.

I will warn you rebuilding the conditioning is painful but the strength gains are well worth it.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Well I'm young (23) and really healthy. Diets pretty dialed in.

Thanks Brendan that's encouraging. I've been stuck at 180 for a long time and at my height that's still a really skinny weight (I'm 6'2"). Got decent strength but gains have been really slow. I'm going to be focusing a lot on Olympic lifts but I'll for sure do my share of presses and occasionally deads. Squats are already heavily used in Oly training.

I don't mind if it's painful to regain conditioning, as long as it won't take 6 months.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Brad Rasmussen

Profile:

You won't lose much of your conditioning. It will come back easier than you think. I took most of this summer off from conditioning and just worked on strength. I'm just now starting back with my conditioning and it's coming back a without much trouble, and I'm 44. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I say go for it. I am and am not sorry at all. When rob orlando size I will start conditioning again
Old 09-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

well you say you know what you are going to do but don't mention what that is, but whatever program or route, while you may obviously limit longer endurance work and too many hardcore metcons while focusing on strength and gaining weight, i recommend that you at least maintain as much conditioning as possible, which is pretty easy to do in many ways that won't mess up or slow down your gains in strength or size. if you are lifting heavy and resting a few minutes between sets, throw in some burpees as soon as you finish your last rep. hold yourself in the plank or pushup position in between sets. throw in a grace or fran at the end of a strength training day. sprints and or sled work will not only improve conditioning but also help with power. you may still lose a little endurance, but it will take a lot less time to get it back if you don't let it go completely. just my two cents
Old 09-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
Travis Rask

Profile:

It takes much more effort and time to get strong than it does to get conditioned...IMHO...and once you're strong raw conditioning movements as RX are much easier. My personal experience...
Old 09-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
Diets pretty dialed in.
Probably not for getting bigger and strong. I was eating 4 full meals a day and two big protein shakes. When I started the 4th meal I was not hungry at all. Guys like us have to eat like we are on a mission. Probably 1/2 gallon of whole milk a day as well. If you still enjoy eating your not eating enough.