CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #31
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Increasing DL on GSLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Chris,

Mike Tuscherer and Sheiko folks and many others agree that there's no problem with deadlifting regularly, even with squatting regularly. Mike T.'s observations with TRAC and tendo unit also seem to confirm this.

When you deadlift HIT-style close to failure all the time and don't prioritize it the same way you do with squatting, I think you run into problems. Exercises like rows the day prior to deadlifting or doing a lot of exercises before the deadlift (e.g., curls in one of the GSLP) definitely are not optimal for the deadlift.

Ok, do I misunderstand something about this GSLP program? Are you not trying to linearly progress which means you are training to, or very close to failure each session while continuously trying to push the load, rep count, or both up?

What you are referencing is using percentage based loading systems and forms of periodization whereby maxes are not being attempted with great regularity. If one is squatting heavily and hard and then trying to get a 1RM or max for relatively low reps once or more per week they are going to fry their backs. Period, end of story (with the usual genetic freak exceptions).
Old 09-23-2011, 04:07 AM   #32
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Ok, do I misunderstand something about this GSLP program? Are you not trying to linearly progress which means you are training to, or very close to failure each session while continuously trying to push the load, rep count, or both up?

What you are referencing is using percentage based loading systems and forms of periodization whereby maxes are not being attempted with great regularity. If one is squatting heavily and hard and then trying to get a 1RM or max for relatively low reps once or more per week they are going to fry their backs. Period, end of story (with the usual genetic freak exceptions).
Agreed, but you can still deadlift regulary on a linear progression program. The problem is that people start doing rest-pause squats and deadlifts in order to quickly up the weights.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #33
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Agreed, but you can still deadlift regulary on a linear progression program. The problem is that people start doing rest-pause squats and deadlifts in order to quickly up the weights.
Donald, you can do just about anything for a while. My point was, and is, that pulling heavy with squatting heavy, particularly on a linear progression model which will have you going balls out each session, will quickly lead to overtraining for your lower back.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #34
Boris Lau

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Donald, you can do just about anything for a while. My point was, and is, that pulling heavy with squatting heavy, particularly on a linear progression model which will have you going balls out each session, will quickly lead to overtraining for your lower back.
Thanks for your input, Chris. I realize GSLP might be pretty taxing for my lower back but I'm seeing pretty good gains on it, especially for my squat, bench and press so I figured I would stick with it. Especially for my deadlift now, I don't want to be doing it too infrequently because I'm still nailing down the form.

Anyway, here's my squat video from today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3LOoEHo0ac (wfs)
Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #35
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Lau View Post
Thanks for your input, Chris. I realize GSLP might be pretty taxing for my lower back but I'm seeing pretty good gains on it, especially for my squat, bench and press so I figured I would stick with it. Especially for my deadlift now, I don't want to be doing it too infrequently because I'm still nailing down the form.

Anyway, here's my squat video from today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3LOoEHo0ac (wfs)
Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!
It looks good, but your knees go as far forward over your toes as with those who are doing ATG Olympic-style squats. I think you should widen your stance a bit instead of turning your feet out so much. So keep your toes where they are and just rotate out your heels a bit. With your long legs, this will allow you to use more hamstrings vs. quads as you'll be able to sit back more.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #36
Boris Lau

Profile:

Quote:
It looks good, but your knees go as far forward over your toes as with those who are doing ATG Olympic-style squats. I think you should widen your stance a bit instead of turning your feet out so much. So keep your toes where they are and just rotate out your heels a bit. With your long legs, this will allow you to use more hamstrings vs. quads as you'll be able to sit back more.
Haha, never thought of myself as having long legs! So only turn my feet out maybe 10-20 degrees but have them further apart? Thanks for the help, Donald.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #37
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Lau View Post
Haha, never thought of myself as having long legs! So only turn my feet out maybe 10-20 degrees but have them further apart? Thanks for the help, Donald.
20-30 degrees. Your heels should be at least right outside your hips.

Check out this video, and look at his form and feet placement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6enK...EQrpg&index=16

Personally, I don't like Rippetoe's style of back squatting. Even powerlifters who squat low-bar don't squat like he does.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #38
Chris Mason

Profile:

I would say to widen your stance especially with the way you are pushing those knees out. Take full advantage of your hips etc. I think the way you are racking the bar encourages you to lean too far forward during your sets. You need to try to sit back a bit as you squat.