CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #21
Ryan Dell Whitley
Member Ryan Dell Whitley is offline
 
Ryan Dell Whitley's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clarksville  TN
Posts: 117
Re: Increasing DL on GSLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Lau View Post
Hey everyone - made this quick video today of my deadlifts: http://youtu.be/YWFcps88BYs (wfs)

Would appreciate any feedback. I realize I round my lower back in the heavier sets and I think it's because my shins aren't vertical enough? I feel like if I arch my lower back more, my hips will start too low and I'll almost be in a position to clean.
Everyone is going to deadlift differently due to individual anatomical proportions. Get low enough that your back is perfectly straight. If you insist on doing GSLP then make a pact with yourself that you will not accept any rep without perfect form for the first five reps. The 5+ reps are going to get ugly; that's part of the deal though with this type of training.

To be completely honest, going to the A/B routine from SS would probably be best for you. Wait until you get to your first reset on SS and then switch to GSLP if you're interested in swolertrophy stuff.

Just my $0.02
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #22
Donald Lee
Member Donald Lee is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cypress  CA
Posts: 1,124
Re: Increasing DL on GSLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
One other thing I will say is if that program includes heavy squatting as well you need to really watch things. Your lower back is going to get overtrained and that is when you will injure it. I would not pull every week. Perhaps 2 weeks on followed by a week off?
Chris,

Mike Tuscherer and Sheiko folks and many others agree that there's no problem with deadlifting regularly, even with squatting regularly. Mike T.'s observations with TRAC and tendo unit also seem to confirm this.

When you deadlift HIT-style close to failure all the time and don't prioritize it the same way you do with squatting, I think you run into problems. Exercises like rows the day prior to deadlifting or doing a lot of exercises before the deadlift (e.g., curls in one of the GSLP) definitely are not optimal for the deadlift.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #23
Eric Door
Member Eric Door is offline
 
Eric Door's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gold River  CA
Posts: 140
Re: Increasing DL on GSLP

There was a video on the Westside website, or maybe just a video with a guy from Westside, in which he said that many guys have a DL that is just slightly above their squat and that when they add in more GHD work, their DLs improve because their posterior chain was weak.
__________________
It pays to be a winner.
My WOD Log
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #24
Arturo Garcia
Member Arturo Garcia is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Santo Domingo  Dominican Republic
Posts: 1,875
Re: Increasing DL on GSLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Chris,

Mike Tuscherer and Sheiko folks and many others agree that there's no problem with deadlifting regularly, even with squatting regularly. Mike T.'s observations with TRAC and tendo unit also seem to confirm this.

When you deadlift HIT-style close to failure all the time and don't prioritize it the same way you do with squatting, I think you run into problems. Exercises like rows the day prior to deadlifting or doing a lot of exercises before the deadlift (e.g., curls in one of the GSLP) definitely are not optimal for the deadlift.
In reply to what I highlighed from your post: I have tried GSLP and SS and I gotta say... in SS there's a day where you do: Squat, Bench, Deadlift. Once everything is heavy... after 3x5 heavy squats and 3x5 heavy bench presses... you're kindof gassed before the DL.

In GSLP you have two moves before the DL, in one week it's Bench and Curls (and the curls are only 2 sets of 12-15 reps)... and the other possibility is having Press and weighed chins (chins are 2 sets of 6-8). Both scenarios seem lees taxing to me than the 3x5 of both Squat and Bench prior to DL's as in SS. At least in my limited experience.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #25
Ryan Dell Whitley
Member Ryan Dell Whitley is offline
 
Ryan Dell Whitley's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Clarksville  TN
Posts: 117
Re: Increasing DL on GSLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
In reply to what I highlighed from your post: I have tried GSLP and SS and I gotta say... in SS there's a day where you do: Squat, Bench, Deadlift. Once everything is heavy... after 3x5 heavy squats and 3x5 heavy bench presses... you're kindof gassed before the DL.

In GSLP you have two moves before the DL, in one week it's Bench and Curls (and the curls are only 2 sets of 12-15 reps)... and the other possibility is having Press and weighed chins (chins are 2 sets of 6-8). Both scenarios seem lees taxing to me than the 3x5 of both Squat and Bench prior to DL's as in SS. At least in my limited experience.
SS and PPST both address how to fix this problem. When the weights start getting heavy you do a light squat the day of your deadlift/power clean. This results in more of a warm up than an actual squat workout.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #26
Boris Lau
Member Boris Lau is offline
 
Boris Lau's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Durham  NC
Posts: 135
Re: Increasing DL on GSLP

Thanks everyone for the all the helpful feedback.

I'm going to deload to 245lbs next deadlift day as per Donald's suggestion. Work on setting my hips instead of doing that little dip like motion before every rep, then squeezing the bar off the floor. Take 5 seconds between every rep to keep everything tight.

I'm getting conflicting opinions on whether the 5+ deadlift set once a week is the right direction for me. Should I be increasing deadlift volume like some suggested to get the form ingrained in my head, doing some assistance work like RDL's, or should I be decreasing volume like Chris suggested to give my lower back a rest? I tested my 1RM Low bar squat earlier this week because I was bored and hit a really solid 300lbs so I know the strength is there. I need to learn how to get into position to pull big weight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #27
Donald Lee
Member Donald Lee is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cypress  CA
Posts: 1,124
Re: Increasing DL on GSLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Lau View Post
Thanks everyone for the all the helpful feedback.

I'm going to deload to 245lbs next deadlift day as per Donald's suggestion. Work on setting my hips instead of doing that little dip like motion before every rep, then squeezing the bar off the floor. Take 5 seconds between every rep to keep everything tight.

I'm getting conflicting opinions on whether the 5+ deadlift set once a week is the right direction for me. Should I be increasing deadlift volume like some suggested to get the form ingrained in my head, doing some assistance work like RDL's, or should I be decreasing volume like Chris suggested to give my lower back a rest? I tested my 1RM Low bar squat earlier this week because I was bored and hit a really solid 300lbs so I know the strength is there. I need to learn how to get into position to pull big weight.
I'm going to guess that you don't use your hamstrings very much in your back squat. If that's the case, you really don't need to worry about lower back fatigue.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #28
Ryan Hoegner
Affiliate Ryan Hoegner is offline
 
Ryan Hoegner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Corona  CA
Posts: 783
Re: Increasing DL on GSLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Lau View Post
Thanks everyone for the all the helpful feedback.

I'm going to deload to 245lbs next deadlift day as per Donald's suggestion. Work on setting my hips instead of doing that little dip like motion before every rep, then squeezing the bar off the floor. Take 5 seconds between every rep to keep everything tight.

I'm getting conflicting opinions on whether the 5+ deadlift set once a week is the right direction for me. Should I be increasing deadlift volume like some suggested to get the form ingrained in my head, doing some assistance work like RDL's, or should I be decreasing volume like Chris suggested to give my lower back a rest? I tested my 1RM Low bar squat earlier this week because I was bored and hit a really solid 300lbs so I know the strength is there. I need to learn how to get into position to pull big weight.
I'd go 2-3 sets of 5. Going to failure will probably make things worse while you are learning the lift.
__________________
www.CrossFit714.com
Orange, CA
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #29
Boris Lau
Member Boris Lau is offline
 
Boris Lau's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Durham  NC
Posts: 135
Re: Increasing DL on GSLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
I'm going to guess that you don't use your hamstrings very much in your back squat. If that's the case, you really don't need to worry about lower back fatigue.
I'll post a video of my squats tomorrow. I squat low bar and really try to sit back with the weight so it should involve my hamstrings, but we'll see about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hoegner View Post
I'd go 2-3 sets of 5. Going to failure will probably make things worse while you are learning the lift.
Should I do this once a week in place of the 5+ sets on GSLP or would you recommend deadlifting more often?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #30
Ryan Hoegner
Affiliate Ryan Hoegner is offline
 
Ryan Hoegner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Corona  CA
Posts: 783
Re: Increasing DL on GSLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Lau View Post

Should I do this once a week in place of the 5+ sets on GSLP or would you recommend deadlifting more often?
Once a week is plenty (IMO) if you are squating M and F per the program.
__________________
www.CrossFit714.com
Orange, CA
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gslp Dan Bonitatibus Fitness 990 06-09-2017 12:27 PM
Blending Met-cons and GSLP, how to do it Brendan McNamar Fitness 34 04-16-2012 08:47 PM
Mojave Madness - Twice Weekly GSLP and Army Mandated PT Carl Amolat Workout Logs 240 04-11-2012 07:14 PM
GSLP accessory work for shoulders? Brendan McNamar Fitness 2 09-12-2011 10:06 AM
Increasing Volume Rob McBee Exercises 1 04-18-2005 12:13 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.