CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #11
James Orr

Profile:
Re: Increasing DL on GSLP

The base is what Ryan posted, then you add different things lasagna style based on your goals.

There are some fun challenges, too: http://strengthvillain.com/?tag=villain-challenges
Old 09-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #12
Ryan Dell Whitley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
What does that mean?
It means that GSLP uses some rehashed HIT principles along with a SS-esque linear progression.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #13
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dell Whitley View Post
It means that GSLP uses some rehashed HIT principles along with a SS-esque linear progression.
So does everybody else...
Old 09-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #14
Boris Lau

Profile:

Hey everyone - made this quick video today of my deadlifts: http://youtu.be/YWFcps88BYs (wfs)

Would appreciate any feedback. I realize I round my lower back in the heavier sets and I think it's because my shins aren't vertical enough? I feel like if I arch my lower back more, my hips will start too low and I'll almost be in a position to clean.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #15
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Lau View Post
Hey everyone - made this quick video today of my deadlifts: http://youtu.be/YWFcps88BYs (wfs)

Would appreciate any feedback. I realize I round my lower back in the heavier sets and I think it's because my shins aren't vertical enough? I feel like if I arch my lower back more, my hips will start too low and I'll almost be in a position to clean.
Your starting position is fine.

- You need to reset to a lower weight-like 245.
- Your form is not ready for touch-and-go, so don't do it, even on warm-ups.
- Slow everything down when you set up. Get in your starting position and hold it for a few seconds and then lift. You're not getting into optimal starting position in every repetition.
- Stretch your hamstrings before you deadlift. You can do this by doing RDLs and hanging out at the bottom for 2-3 seconds on every repetition. You could do something like RDL 45#x5 + 95#x5 + 115#x5 before moving on to your deadlifts at 135#.
- Learn to feel what your body is doing. You need to develop more kinesthetic awareness. Don't just try to complete a lift or use adrenaline to fight through. If your lower back is giving out, stop.
- You can start doing touch-and-go and start your deadlift the way that you do right now when you have good form.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #16
Donald Lee

Profile:

To add on to what I wrote, based on what I've seen, you should do deadlifts the same way you do the other main lifts-2x5+5 AMRAP. You need to work on your form, so you need more practice. Doing 1x5+ once a week promotes a bad mindset, and it's hard to tell what weight you should be lifting each week. I'd also switch between deadlifts and squats the way Ryan recommended.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:03 AM   #17
Alix James

Profile:

Hey Boris,

my major change would be taking the little dip out you are doing before each rep. I know what you are trying to do with it and it works for some people but its preventing you from setting your back properly at the beginning in my eyes.

The cues that would apply most would be pulling yourself into the bar to get that optimal set position, then squeezing the bar off the floor maintaining that back angle as long as possible.

It looks like you favour deadlifting with lower hips, so you really need to apply the above in this case.

I'd spend some time working on the above with lighter sets. Get your lats involved more to pull the bar into you (notice how you still picked the bar up for that 4th rep after it had rolled away - without adjusting your feet back in to the bar, 5 more seconds to set your position would have made that 4th rep have a much more positive feeling)

Hope you can take something from this, catch up again soon
Old 09-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #18
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hoegner View Post
greyskull linear program. on this program you deadlift once a week, one working set to failure (IIRC).
Ok, that's right. Thank you.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #19
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Lau View Post

You back, other than the very last rep of the last set, doesn't look bad at all to me. You are keeping it locked which is the most important thing. That last rep I referred to was not good and I propose that you simply tried to do too much with it.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #20
Chris Mason

Profile:

One other thing I will say is if that program includes heavy squatting as well you need to really watch things. Your lower back is going to get overtrained and that is when you will injure it. I would not pull every week. Perhaps 2 weeks on followed by a week off?