CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: back to back legs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
I always wondered if people who do labor jobs every day have built up a GPP base. Something interesting to study. We've all heard stories about super strong farmers, foreman etc.
Yes, of course they have. Back in the day, that was "being fit" *meant*: having the ability to work your tail off day after day.

Katherine
Old 06-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #12
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
You'll be fine... my Oly coach has me doing 5 workouts/week and they all involve squats.
Seriously.

The legs have the biggest muscles in the body. They are *designed* to take a pounding and come back for more.

Katherine
Old 06-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #13
Dan Graziano

Profile:

Thin line is being walked today. I would argue if you went hard enough yesterday you shouldn't be able to walk without a tightness. I could also see the other end and maybe take some extra time today to warm up if you are doing CFHQ Rx WODs.

Personal choice IMO depending on what you did yesterday, valid arguments either way. The meathead in me says suck it up and go though
Old 06-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #14
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
I always wondered if people who do labor jobs every day have built up a GPP base. Something interesting to study. We've all heard stories about super strong farmers, foreman etc.
I would say it is true. I know when I've busted my butt doing manual labor I got in pretty good shape for doing that type of work (last part is key).
Old 06-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
Martin Nguyen

Profile:

Working your legs hard two days in a row will hammer you if you're not conditioned to it. Plenty of typical gym goers get boggled at the very idea of squatting 3x a week. If you condition your body to it youll be fine, start with high frequency low difficulty and work your way up.

From Matt Wichlinski.

[A] concept to consider involves determining to what degree the conditioning you perform today is going to affect your training tomorrow. If I know I have a high intensity squat session planned for tomorrow, for example, I would highly reconsider doing ten rounds of a hill sprint and burpee mash-up today. A better alternative would be punching a heavy bag and a few bouts with a large battling rope, as it’s not as taxing on your lower extremities. This way your legs will be better recovered for their battle to come tomorrow, yet your heart rate might be as high as a stoner at a summer festival. This concept is unfortunately invalid for those who have no idea what tomorrow’s training adventures will bring. This also assumes that increased strength is a priority in your training. If it is not, I suggest you reevaluate the purpose of your training. I am well aware of the phenomenon of training for the unknown and unknowable, but just because you do a random daily workout does not mean it’s the absolute best way to be prepared for an event that may occur in the future. Just sayin’.