CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 04-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
Matt Rainwater

Profile:
Scoring for the open does not reflect a regional competition

It is my belief that the regional competition scores should be based on each athletes placement when compared to athletes belonging to that region only. Here is why: If you look at the Women’s Asia competition Nicolle Wallace is leading with a total of 2779 which is the sum of all of her placements for each of the past three weeks. In second place is Heidi D’Amato with 5105 and in third is Candice Howe with 5479. In a true regional competition the competitors should only be compared to fellow competitors to promote competition. If the Womens Asia athletes were only compared to other athletes in their region their scores would be as follows.

Athlete Week 1 Week 2 Week 3
1. Wallace 5 1 (274) 1 (396) 3 (36)
2. D’Amato 11 2 (267) 5 (321) 4 (32)
3. Howe 13 4 (249) 7 (311) 2 (37)
3. Cross 13 2 (267) 3 (336) 8 (22)

As it stands D’Amato and Howe are battling for second place with little hope of catching Wallace. If you compare these women to one another only, you have a competition not a blowout. Furthermore, when you add 4th place, Keiko Cross, one can see that using the current formula she is 298 points behind Howe yet when compared to the women in the region she is actually tied for 3rd. These perceived discrepancies would also negatively influence scoring of the team competition effectively making it a world completion rather than a regional.

My conclusion is that the directors of the games should change their scoring system to reflect a regional competition as shown above.

Matt
Old 04-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Re: Scoring for the open does not reflect a regional competition

You can view the leaderboard by region to see how you place among athletes in your region only. From the Games site: "The top 60 men and top 60 women from each of the 17 regions around the world are qualified to compete at their respective Regional, which is the semi-final round for the CrossFit Games"

So, it is in fact a regional competition.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:13 AM   #3
Charles Applin

Profile:

Matt,

First point: at Sectionals, you're competing for the 60th spot, unless there's a regional prize for first place at sectionals I don't know about.

Second point: Asia, South America and Africa are serious exceptions in many things besides what you're showing.

Consider that Regionals will have about 1,000 athletes of each gender. Now, look at the score for number 1000 on the leader board (1000th place for men WFS. Ok, now switch to Asia, Africa and L. America and you'll see 6 athletes are below that score.

This is not going to get any better over the next three events. It's even worse if you look at the top 100th score (likeliest group to go to finals) and you'll find NO ONE from those three regions are there. Something tells me when we look at the Open Sectional scoring spread after regionals, there's going to have 9 people out of 50 that gave it their all but really shouldn't be there. This also means that there's likely 150 to 200 top 1000 athletes that are not getting a shot at Regionals which can equate to around 10 true firebreathers that can offer stiff competition.

Now, to be fair, Greg Glassman addresses this as a necessary evil. At the olympics you have countries presenting athletes that have no chance, but we believe in allowing representation by all. I can't fault that. You still have 42 athletes that were among the top 1000 (likely top 100) in addition to those given automatic advancement to the games. We will still find the fittest in the world.

One possible compromise: A "Best of the Rest" type regional(s). Create TWO more additional "world wide" regionals that take place on the east and west coast of the US. These two will be open to any top 1000 athletes that for quirks of regional areas did not make their own region tryouts. The 60 slots can be filled on a top score, first served basis. Such a system can give you 6 more fire breathers to raise the level of competition at the final games.

PS: Yes, I know I'm being a broken record about this. However, there's something wrong when an out of shape, fat like myself has a decent chance of making regionals.

Last edited by Charles Applin : 04-12-2011 at 04:15 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
Matt Rainwater

Profile:

Thanks for making the changes, now we have a true regional qualifier. Good luck to all!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Rainwater View Post
Thanks for making the changes, now we have a true regional qualifier. Good luck to all!
Be interesting to see if this change has a major impact on who gets a regional spot in the larger regions where competition is close. Hopefully the newly modified board would allow us to see both the worldwide and regional ranking side by side for both individual WODs and the total.

Also, I guess the reduced how many spots are going to Asia, L. America and Africa. That's also a good decision, though we'll only have 42 atheletes from regionals plus the legacy ones.