CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #201
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: You must eat this much to play

It's your call, but I'm not sure I'd recommend steak for recovering vegans. You might find stews and stir-fries and such to be less assertively BEEF. But if you do go with steak, resist the temptation to overcook it. Well done steak is a good way to turn money into shoe leather.

Katherine
Old 01-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #202
Kim Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
It's your call, but I'm not sure I'd recommend steak for recovering vegans. You might find stews and stir-fries and such to be less assertively BEEF. But if you do go with steak, resist the temptation to overcook it. Well done steak is a good way to turn money into shoe leather.

Katherine
Thanks Katherine, I was going to cut it up and put it in a salad and share it with my kids so I wouldn't be eating an entire slab of meat as you are right, it would be tough for me mentally. I am also quite the pro of over cooking steak as I cook it for me kids, but have gotten a little better at it and will be even more mindful as I'm planning on buying an expensive cut.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #203
Melissa Grilione

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
Let me start by saying I agree. I'm a big dude (5'9, 215+) and I grub. I'll put down 4k calories like its goin' out of style. My wife eats a lot as well. She hits the 2-2400 calorie range at around 135ish. Those that train hard and are close to me and care about what I say all agree. Eat more. However, I have some questions. Let me give you a scenario or three. I see it all the time, and it is often discussed with my clients.

90% of them (mainly female) want to lose weight. They aren't there to aspire to compete in some elite event (crossfit games, become an olympian, etc). They are intrigued and inspired by the entire "pursuit of performance" and after a few months of training I notice the intensity increasing. They start to get bothered not only when they don't lose weight but also when they miss that 1RM attempt or when their name has the slowest "times" on the board. It becomes more than just 'fitting into the skinny jeans'.

Here's the issue. With the initial goal (it is always asked on day 1) of "I WANT to lose weight", lets say we have Client X that wishes to lose 30 lbs. They are realistic and don't give an absolute timeline. Let's say 30lbs in 4-6 months. The perception from just about anyone that is new and learning is to eat less right? I mean the whole calories in vs. calories out thing. Remember, we are talking about people that clearly don't have it dialed in related to nutrition/training, otherwise...there wouldn't be a problem right? They come to me to address those problems.

So they come in eating around 1200 - 1400 calories a day (we are talking female here). Not enough right? However, say they start on training 3x a week. It may only start this way but eventually it turns into 3x a week with me, they hike once on the weekends, etc. It may go into 4x a week with me. Their previously sedentary lifestyle is starting to pick up. They stay on a generally low calorie diet though; <1500 cals/day.

The thing is, everything is improving. Because of the "new to weight training" response that the body gives, their numbers are going up. They go from a 95lb deadlift and never even hearing what the movement is to 5x5 at 135lbs (with oohs and aahs because they are using the big plates). Their back squat is generally progressed a lot slower because there are more issues than just "EAT MORE AND GET STRONG". Knees buckle in, core is weak so there is crazy folding over, etc. Even with that, what begins as uncomfortable (if not impossible) to squat to depth or lower with a 45lb bar on their back, within 2 months, progresses to, almost squatting bodyweight for a single. Metcon stuff is going up as is expected. Situps beyond the range of 10 start off difficult without pulling on the legs/sweats/shorts but eventually, although band assisted, an entire Cindy can be done (not record breaking times but movement and progression is happening).

They are LOSING weight. Clothes fit differently, they talk about liking what they see in the mirror, etc. The weight loss in itself is responsible for a :15 drop in their 400m times (run a 400m with a 20lb sandbag and another without..). As I said, I know its mainly a lot of neuro-muscular stuff and initial adaptation but performance is going up.

Also, even if its only 1400 cals/day the quality of the food has changed drastically. Even with that, an entire bag of Steamfresh Broccoli is what? less than 150 calories? It is all vegetables, good lean protein (not massive quantities - like 3-4oz), only water (coffee, wine at times), fruits replace the typical sweets (cakes, cookies, etc.) and some fats (between breakfast and 1st snack an avocado is eaten), some snacking on almonds with jerky, etc. Obviously not tons of it otherwise calories would be higher but again, their mindset is lower calories. Still, things are cooked with Olive Oil, Coconut oil, nuts are eaten, avocado's, almost butter, etc.

I've seen the journals and it hardly EVER reaches anywhere near 1800 calories.

So in short (too late I know), they feel great (food quality), they sleep well, they do fish oil, recovery (mwod), rollouts so they recover better. They are new to it all but their performance (metcon + strength) is all increasing tremendously and most importantly to them, they are losing weight by not stuffing their face. All on 1400 calories a day.

How do you convince them that 1400 calories is not enough? Honestly...They first walk in and say "well, I'm really trying to lose weight and I need to get moving.". I think great, they are here at a gym so they are ready to start moving, next I need to analyze what they do OUTSIDE of the gym. The logic part of me cringes when I see a 1200 calorie food journal. I get it, honestly. Remember, I live my life differently as does my beast machine of a wife (good thing). Still, unless I cook for them, they maybe go up another 200-300 calories over the course of a few months. All of the above happens (the bold stuff). It is tough to look at journals and say - "you still need to eat more".
I have a hypothesis about this. All the people that say they are eating 1200-1400 cals a day and are overweight and not losing weight are not accurately reporting what they eat. Those extra bites of food off your kids' plates while you're doing dishes add up. I see advice all the time to people to "eat more" but I bet most people (I'm talking about overweight people, not the skinny guys here) actually eat a lot more than they realize.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #204
Kim Allen

Profile:

Quote:

Katherine
Well, I had the steak and it wasn't that bad. I will admit that I had to put A1 sauce on it which is full of chemicals, but had to have something I liked with it in order to try it for the first time in decades. Had it with a nice ceaser salad and bought another one for later this week. Both are grass fed and expensive, but figured I could budget it considering I'll only be eating it once a week tops for the most part.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #205
Michael Gray

Profile:

Quote:
...inspired by skinny college kids trying to "lean out" when they should be eating more and lifting more.
We are still closely related to our cave man ancestors. The survival of our bodies depend on a constant flow of food.

Unsuccessful cave people didn't eat regularly like the successful ones. So, without that constant flow, the body developed a survival technique we now call fat storage.

Our ancestors who ate regularly and got exercise chasing, digging or finding their food tended to be in much better shape than the ones on a starvation diet.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #206
Stephanie Olah

Profile:

Katherine,

If you are okay with it, I am not sure if you did this is another thread, but I would LOVE to see a day in the life of...in terms of your work/workout schedual and what you eat to get to 2000 calories. you're my height and goald weight so I'd like to see what you eat (even though I know everyones different, Im trying to grasp the fact still that i can eat more and lose weight)

THANKS
Old 05-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #207
Conrad Taylor

Profile:

Hit the nail on the head Katherine.

Many come here wondering why they:

-Are tired
-Can't gain weight
-Are not making strength gains
-ect...

While sometimes it could be a the fact that they are not letting themselves recover properly and other serious medical factors, enssuring you get enough and a VARIETY of quality foods goes hand-in-hand.

Eat up!