CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #21
Mike Choate

Profile:
Re: How to have a successful CrossFit

Peter,you might want to post some numbers that show your success before you offer advice to people wanting help with their own box. Having a shinny new gym with all of the amenities does not make you a successful CF Box, gotta pass the test of time first.

You can't appeal to everybody and be excellent at the same time, the local Globo gyms where we are have added Crossfit or Crossfit style classes, they suck and one people try the real thing they move on.

Location, well obviously a high traffic location helps we have certainly seen an increase in walk ins since we moved to a main street location but it's not necessary if not fiscally appropriate you just have to work smarter at getting quality clients and then keeping them with awesome coaching and a tight community.

Appeal, I think a Crossfit gym should look different from a globo, when prospective clients walk in they know they have found something different but you are correct about keeping a clean gym that is a must, no excuse for a messy gym.

Advertising, if most new Crossfit boxes follow your advice here they will be out of business in less than 90 days, as a Crossfit gym you can't compete with the globo gym by doing the same thing they do, they are a $49 a month membership mill they need to get droves of people through their doors, Crossfit boxes need a steady supply of the right people coming in, sure your material absolutely must look professional but it shouldn't cost you thousands.
Facebook is a great tool so is a great website, you should have spent money there instead of all of the mailers and get out and talk to people about Crossfit and why they should be in your gym.

Have excellent coaching and an active fun community.

Again post some numbers here ACV, Gross, closing percentages etc. this will get you more than all of the bells and whistles
Old 12-13-2010, 08:10 AM   #22
John Michael Jones

Profile:

Having a "nice" gym that looks like a big-box gym is not necessarily a benefit in bringing in new CrossFitters. We want the experience of a prospective member to be as different as possible from a big-box experience from the second they walk into our box. Because of this, even if we had loads of extra money laying around we wouldn't use it to remodel our facility, rather we would use it to buy more equipment, better bars, etc.

As others have said, website and facebook should be your first level of marketing your business. Develop a strong web presence before doing any other form of advertising.

I agree with the recommendation to keep the box clean, and also the location recommendation, although the better(more expensive) your location, the greater the financial risk when starting up, so it's not for everyone, and it's not a requirement to be in a retail location to be successful.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #23
Andrew Bolliger

Profile:

Man I guess I am old school too... I wonder how many of these financed Big Box CF Gyms will last? I know one that opened this way with a ton of debt and no solid plan or clients... they lasted 6 months. I started in my garage and only bought something when I had income to do it, consequently our 4300 sq. ft. box is debt free, somewhat clean, well respected in the local community, and has been here for over two years (street cred). When paying back an investor is not your primary concern it opens up time to realy focus on each client and get results, I still think that is the right way to go. At the same time, if you been in your garage for a year its probably time to look for a industrial space.

Lastly, are there other globo-type CF gyms that are successful? I have wondered about the evolution and if that is where we will end up just to compete with them. It may be awhile before we have a lap pool and a latte cart but some locker rooms and showers make a lot of sense!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #24
Steve Loeding

Profile:

I also wonder about the big CrossFit gym that start $20,000 in debt and no clients, plus overhead. I agree, starting small, buying equipment when needed (or wanted, if enough cash on hand) is the way to go (and the beauty of the garage gym concept that I think CrossFit was designed to be). Granted, once these gyms get bigger and have more cash flow coming in, then it certainly is in their best interest to have better equipment to replace the old stuff.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #25
Peter Strauss

Profile:

We will have our website up next week. The guy we had working on it, unfortunately was killed in a car accident coming back from Las Vegas. So we had to start over and hire another firm. our website is www.brickcrossfit.com. or you can check us out on facebook.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:44 PM   #26
Peter Strauss

Profile:

What a tough crowd!!! wow. I was just giving some ideas that we put into play, and seem to be working. Someone asked about our website. It should be up this week. Our web designer passed away in a car accident coming back from Las Vegas. So we had to start from scratch with someone else. About our marketing etc, it seems to be working. We have 140 members in the first month. Again, my intention was just to spread some ideas around. keep you updated.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:44 PM   #27
Peter Strauss

Profile:

What a tough crowd!!! wow. I was just giving some ideas that we put into play, and seem to be working. Someone asked about our website. It should be up this week. Our web designer passed away in a car accident coming back from Las Vegas. So we had to start from scratch with someone else. About our marketing etc, it seems to be working. We have 140 members in the first month. Again, my intention was just to spread some ideas around. keep you updated.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:23 AM   #28
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:

Peter,

I'm very sorry to hear about your web designer.

Now please stop littering this forum with nonsense and multiple posts. There are hundreds of folks on here who have grown extremely successful gyms not only ignoring much of your advice, but essentially pursuing the opposite.

Insight and discussion is welcome and encouraged on these pages, but I think it best to get to know the "tough crowd" your are addressing before making grand statements that fly in the face of what they have built.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:42 AM   #29
Brian Strump

Profile:

And I am also selling a piece of the Brooklyn Bridge, anyone? Anyone?
Old 12-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #30
Krista Fudge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Strauss View Post
About our marketing etc, it seems to be working. We have 140 members in the first month. Again, my intention was just to spread some ideas around. keep you updated.
I understand that Peter is offering advice that is very different from the norm. Usually we hear about starting small in a park or garage, spend money on only necessary equipment and purchase as needed, practice training your friends and family first, etc. But shoot, if the guy really has 140 clients in the first month, maybe he has a little bit of advice to offer. I know that having 140 clients show up in one month would present its own set of problems....but wouldn't some of you guys like to have that same response from your marketing? Give the guy a break. This discussion board is for all to contribute their thoughts.