CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
Peter Strauss

Profile:
How to have a successful CrossFit

We recently opened. Brick CrossFit, a 5000 sq ft foot CrossFit in West Hollywood, CA. Our location is high-end and has all the amenities of an expensive Globo Gym. The concept of Brick CrossFit was to create something that would appeal to everyone, not just the die hard CrossFit community.
Here are some tips that I am happy to share with you.

1. Location- This may vary by markets, but within Los Angeles, location is key. Brick CrossFit is located on Santa Monica Blvd, which has traffic counts of over 50,000 cars per day. This is key as we have walk-ins asking about CrossFit. Many CrossFits we have toured, are off the beat and path and will never have foot or high car traffic. Yes, we pay slightly higher rent, but our members like the convience and we get foot traffic. Also within Los Angeles, parking is key and a must have.

2. Appeal- Brick CrossFit looks sharp. We spent good amount of $, making the place look awesome, unlike any other CrossFit I have seen (facebook: Brick CrossFit for photos). Make sure your CrossFit is always clean! We have a cleaning crew every night

3. Advertising- Facebook and Social Media is not the only way to advertise. Spend some money and hire a graphic designer to create some marketing materials for you. Spend money on advertising whether its your front desk staff flyering, mailers to houses, or print ads. Marketing materials of big Globo Gyms look professional, so should your marketing materials.

For more information of help with your CrossFit gym please email me. If your in Los Angeles, stop by for a free WOD.

Brick CrossFit
7811 Santa Monica Blvd
West Hollywood, CA 91604
peter@brickspt.com
Old 12-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Eric R Cohen

Profile:
Re: How to have a successful CrossFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Strauss View Post
This is key as we have walk-ins asking about CrossFit. Many CrossFits we have toured, are off the beat and path and will never have foot or high car traffic. Yes, we pay slightly higher rent, but our members like the convience and we get foot traffic. Also within Los Angeles, parking is key and a must have.
I think you mean "off the beaten path"
Old 12-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Sounds good, I'm a little disappointed by your web presence though. A google search for brick crossfit only turns up a yelp directory which links to a go daddy holder page. It took me a bit of searching to find the website you actually use for your gym. That site was pretty sparse, it only has location/contact info and a downloadable .pdf of your schedule. If your gym is so clean and well designed shouldn't you have at least one picture of it? I assume you're in the process of updating things but perhaps before you start offering to help out other boxes you should get yours taken care of? For the record, I'm not trying to come off as an "attacker" or jerk, just wondering.

Last thing, I'm actually pretty familiar with the exact location of your business and do you really get a lot of foot traffic there? As I recall, the area you're in does have a fair amount of nice photo and recording studios but the majority of the people actually walking around out there are um... the kind of people Eddie Murphy was arrested for consorting with a few years ago...
Old 12-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

Took the words right out of my mouth Jesse. I struggled to find the site too, and when I did, wondered if I were in the right place.

I think his definition of "successful" is much different from mine.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

I would think the top 3 would be:

1) Care
2) Strengthen and Condition people
3) Have business savvy

Old 12-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
Theo Tsekouras

Profile:

Face booked them. I wouldn't go far to say they are the bees knees. But I hope they rock either way
Old 12-10-2010, 12:05 AM   #7
James lee

Profile:

glad you guys are kicking a** over there! I'm going to stop by one of these days...
Old 12-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #8
John D. Burch

Profile:

Leave the alone guys... they've been open for a month... I'm sure they know what they're talking about.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:51 AM   #9
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. Burch View Post
Leave the alone guys... they've been open for a month... I'm sure they know what they're talking about.
I think that's everyone's point. Looking good, and being good are mutually exclusive qualities.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
Craig Takahiro Descoteaux

Profile:

How much start up money did you had to start?

prime location
globo gym amenties
cleaning crews
high dollar marketing and advertising

we don't go dirt cheap (black and white copies), but still it costs us valuable dollars. and the % of reuturn rate is always low.

0 for a magazine ad.

I mean we focus on quality. At all aspects (training, facility, costumer service)
I am the head coach, the head janitor, the part time manager, part time marketing, etc.

just curious