CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #11
Eileen Schreiber

Profile:
Re: Level 1 Testing and Certification...extra $1000 every 5 years?

As someone who just took the test, after having done the cert last year... honestly, I think it is RIDICULOUS that anyone with a level 1 cert can open a box and call themselves a trainer.

I love CrossFit.. am addicted, have no desire to leave the fold, am really a die hard tried and true CrossFitter.

But I always thought that was beyond ludicrous. I'm glad I have very skilled and experienced coaches around me. And I think strongly that here is a need for continuing ed.

500 bucks every five years?

That's nothing in the scheme of continuing ed for almost any other profession.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
Michael Schaefer

Profile:

I understand about continuing education, and am all for it, but per their text that is NOT what this would be.

HQ seems to think that anyone with a Level 1 cert will fall into 2 categories; people who work as professional trainers and people who have no desire to be trainers but wanted the knowledge. What about the people that fall between these two categories?

In reply to the individual who was concerned about someone who passed a lvl 1 cert opening a box....I agree whole entirely. I felt that the amount of knowledge gained during a lvl 1 (when taken by itself) is not sufficient to 1) be a professional trainer of 2) open a box.

I truly appreciate the 'open source' nature of Crossfit and the democratization of the dissemination of knowledge, these two factors being some of the best aspects. I further understand that one of the biggest drivers of the price of the cert is the the effect of the demand within the marketplace, but in too many respects I felt that the level 1 cert really did not make me a better trainer; it provided me with a credential.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
I think its pretty fair to have to recert every 5 years once there is accreditation...I wonder if its a requirement for accreditation i.e. maintenance of currency.
Really need to see what the accreditation is first before saying it is worth it. Having been involved in various accreditation's over many years my opinion of them is they are worth crap when you actually look at what was accredited. This goes for many ISO and ANSI accreditation out there. You can be accredited to make cement life jackets, doesn't mean the life jackets are any good. Meaning your process is all nice and tidy and well documented, which is what groups like ISO and ANSI are looking for in many cases.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:40 AM   #14
Scott Amies

Profile:

I just did my level 1 today.

IMO, a person that has done a level 1 cert probably shouldn't be opening their own box if they are new to Crossfit. However, lets take some that has done a cert 3 and 4 in fitness, are they in a position to be opening a their own personal training studio? Probably not, so what's the difference?

The level 1 teaches movement and how to teach and correct movement much better than a cert 3 and 4. The cert 3 and 4 is basically all just theory. At least the Level 1 cert has a very good balance of both. I feel the level 1 coverd all the important parts and they haven't just filled the course with crap just for the sake of putting it in there...unlike the 3 and 4.

I guess the bottom line is that it comes down to experience. How do you get experience? You work for someone else, you work for free, you open your own place or you train frequently at a good box with good coaches and become a sponge.

At the end of the day, as long as the level 1 trainer is safe and applies the knowledge they gained from the Cert, I'm sure they will be fine as a Box affiliate.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:21 AM   #15
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen Schreiber View Post
500 bucks every five years?

That's nothing in the scheme of continuing ed for almost any other profession.
very true.

I currently hold about 15 certifications for my career and am scheduled to get a couple more. Each runs about $175-$200 for each test and has to be renewed every 2 years.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #16
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

It is a great deal no matter how much they charge. Simply worth it to get great coaches with up to date cutting edge skills.

Justin
Old 09-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #17
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Z. Smith View Post
It is a great deal no matter how much they charge. Simply worth it to get great coaches with up to date cutting edge skills.
What are the up to date cutting edge skills being taught?
Old 09-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #18
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Z. Smith View Post

Justin
What Wayne said. I'd rather receive some kind of credit for doing and correcting the movements on a daily basis since my cert, and for receiving continuing education in the form of specialty certs or even (gasp!) stuff offered by people outside the CF community. If I go to a SS, Pendlay, or Greg Everett seminar I'm obviously expanding my knowledge and ability to train others effectively, even if I don't get an official CF-approved certificate that says so.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #19
William A Cantrell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
What Wayne said. I'd rather receive some kind of credit for doing and correcting the movements on a daily basis since my cert, and for receiving continuing education in the form of specialty certs or even (gasp!) stuff offered by people outside the CF community. If I go to a SS, Pendlay, or Greg Everett seminar I'm obviously expanding my knowledge and ability to train others effectively, even if I don't get an official CF-approved certificate that says so.
I agree! Im not complaining merely stating that retaking the same course every 5 years is not going to make me a better trainer. As far as CE's are concerned I would have no problem if any of these certs (I hold a few and will get more) Held any weight in communities other than the Crossfit one. If it was a fully accredated program it would be different. Futhermore if thats the case I think the level 1 trainer course should be harder, I feel that my day to day training both myself and my clients makes me better. Maybe have it to where college courses/other certs (even from other organizations) should count as CE's and you need so many in 5 years to stay valid. Oh well that said...im and addict to this **** so Ill be hanging on for a while!
Old 09-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #20
Rob St. Croix

Profile:

I'm waiting for the DoVA to accredit them via DANTES so that my Military Tuition benefits will cover the Lvl 1 Cert. I got an e-mail from CF HQ that said they were working on it.

Hurry up HQ!