CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #21
Sid Cranston

Profile:
Re: Crossfit WOD vs Affiliate WOD

It might be worth it to talk to the trainer or owner of your CF facility. If you explain your questions and concerns, maybe you will get good feedback, especially if there is a lot of strong experience behind them. They may choose to change things based on intelligent client feedback (I hope your experiences mean something to them) which is something any business owner should be sensitive to.

Once you have that discussion, maybe you will feel more enlightened, maybe the programming will be modified, or maybe you will just follow the main site wods. It doesn't cost anything to find out.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:18 AM   #22
Daniel Quinn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Cranston View Post
It might be worth it to talk to the trainer or owner of your CF facility. If you explain your questions and concerns, maybe you will get good feedback, especially if there is a lot of strong experience behind them. They may choose to change things based on intelligent client feedback (I hope your experiences mean something to them) which is something any business owner should be sensitive to.

Once you have that discussion, maybe you will feel more enlightened, maybe the programming will be modified, or maybe you will just follow the main site wods. It doesn't cost anything to find out.
That would be a very telling conversation.

Lots of "fitness experts" get really ****y when you question their methods. Depending on how they handle the discussion should go a long way in determining if that affiliate is worth your time & money.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:34 AM   #23
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. Miller View Post
And I am not knocking your coaches, but I am sure Nicole and probably even Dave are level 3 as well but I would not go to either for programming. I would go to someone like Pat Sherwood, Jeff Martin, Dan John, Andy Stumpf and OPT. And a few of the Certs you listed have some skill and question testing but not PROGRAMMING testing. I have my USAW 1 and my CF Level 1, my CF Barbell cert and CF OLY cert and RKC. I however do not consider myself good enough to create programming for anyone. I thinking coaching CrossFit and its movements are completely seperate than programming for CrossFit or any sport for that matter.
Certs are one thing, but coaching clients are another. If someone has just a lvl 1 CF cert, but has been training for years, and/or has trained some people to have great results, then whats the big deal? If a trainer has figured out a "method" to the madness that is programming, I don't care about their "certs".

I'd rather see before/after clients of pictures on a trainers resume, with contact info. Kind of like references.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #24
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Thats the point I was making, I could care less what your certs are it does not mean you can program. As far as I know guys like Dan John do not have formal "certs" but I would be an idiot to turn down his advice yeah.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:35 AM   #25
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
And I am not knocking your coaches, but I am sure Nicole and probably even Dave are level 3 as well but I would not go to either for programming. I would go to someone like Pat Sherwood, Jeff Martin, Dan John, Andy Stumpf and OPT. And a few of the Certs you listed have some skill and question testing but not PROGRAMMING testing. I have my USAW 1 and my CF Level 1, my CF Barbell cert and CF OLY cert and RKC. I however do not consider myself good enough to create programming for anyone. I thinking coaching CrossFit and its movements are completely seperate than programming for CrossFit or any sport for that matter.
Why Pat Sherwood? Great guy, great coach, but he learned about CF from Castro (From him at my Cert) He doesn't strictly come from an athletic coaching background (again no disrespect intended, his real background is cool enough.) Nicole has been there since the beginning, so she's pretty experienced. Andy Stumpf as I understand it has a similar "training background" as Pat and Dave... Your standards in this case seem arbitrary.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #26
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

There is also more to coaching then just having great programming...(unless you are following the programming no in person)

Ability to inspire, to communicate clearly, and to impart knowledge are all key factors that weigh pretty heavy...
Old 08-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #27
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Why Pat Sherwood? Great guy, great coach, but he learned about CF from Castro (From him at my Cert) He doesn't strictly come from an athletic coaching background (again no disrespect intended, his real background is cool enough.) Nicole has been there since the beginning, so she's pretty experienced. Andy Stumpf as I understand it has a similar "training background" as Pat and Dave... Your standards in this case seem arbitrary.
You make a good point. However I would have to disagree in that just because they learned it in the same fashion does not mean that teach it the same way. I dont know if that makes any sense but let me try to explain. I had both Andy and Dave at my level 1 when Dave was there and talked on whatever subject he was given for that cert, I didnt zone out or anything, but I was more interested when Andy spoke. However for some people maybe Dave caught their attention more. So maybe its not necessarily their background but maybe in the way they present their self. Does one have a better understanding of programming then the other, dont know but I would just be more open to the people I mentioned.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #28
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
You make a good point. However I would have to disagree in that just because they learned it in the same fashion does not mean that teach it the same way. I dont know if that makes any sense but let me try to explain. I had both Andy and Dave at my level 1 when Dave was there and talked on whatever subject he was given for that cert, I didnt zone out or anything, but I was more interested when Andy spoke. However for some people maybe Dave caught their attention more. So maybe its not necessarily their background but maybe in the way they present their self. Does one have a better understanding of programming then the other, dont know but I would just be more open to the people I mentioned.
Fair enough, but you were talking about programming, not instructing or even coaching.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #29
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

True, we could get into semantics of an instructor or a coach, but that seems fruitless and annoying.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #30
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
True, we could get into semantics of an instructor or a coach, but that seems fruitless and annoying.
And totally irrelevant to *programming,* which is what differentiates the main page WOD from an affiliate. You can be a brilliant technical instructor and still program terrible workouts (or vice versa).

Katherine