CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
Giovanni Fernandez

Profile:
Crossfit WOD vs Affiliate WOD

Hello all. I am new to the forum. I have been going to a Crossfit affiliate for about 6 months. My level of fitness is much greater than it ever was before. However, I have been on the road for a few weeks and started following the Crossfit website WOD. I have loved them. I don't know if it's all in my mind, but I think these workouts have had an even greater effect on my body. I am going back home soon and am not sure what to do. My crossfit affiliate is open Monday-Saturday. Mondays typically focus a little more on upper body, Wednesdays kill the lower body, Fridays are typically time trials, and the other days are mixed. The workouts never take less than 30 minutes, and many times take an hour. I have felt at times that the workouts take too long. My question is: Which is better to follow? Affilaiate WOD's or the website. Please advise.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Crossfit WOD vs Affiliate WOD

WHat are your goals, and where are you at with respect to them?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
Giovanni Fernandez

Profile:

I am 5'8. I used to be extremely overweight. I then came down to 167 lbs. and stayed there for a long time. I recently dropped down to 158 lbs. I was at around 10-12% bodyfat a couple months ago. I still have flab and my main goal is to get leaner muscle mass.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

In general if you like something better IMO you'll be more likely to give that more effort and therefore see better results... If someone forced you to do a Strength only program, but you don't like touching barbells...even if the strength program was superior to the CF you do now, you will get better results with CF, just from a consistency, mindset point of view.

I don't want to encourage you to leave your affiliate, but I think the best person to answer this question is YOU. And it may be possible if you are somewhat considered a loyal veteran at your affiliate to get open gym-type priviledges??
Old 08-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni Fernandez View Post
The workouts never take less than 30 minutes, and many times take an hour. I have felt at times that the workouts take too long.
Although someone will disagree, I would venture to say that the general consensus in the CF world is that this type of programming is less than ideal for almost any goal.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"general consensus in the CF world is that this type of programming is less than ideal for almost any goal."

SS workouts last between 1-1.5 hours, same with CFFB, Performance menu, MEBB, Gant's hybrid, 531, and Texas method.

SO no, your statement is not correct.

If instead you meant constant motion for .5-1 hours, than yes, that is overkill
Old 08-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott A Martin View Post
Although someone will disagree, I would venture to say that the general consensus in the CF world is that this type of programming is less than ideal for almost any goal.
This is one reason I don't go to an affiliate. They seem to have to fill that hour of class time. And sometimes that is too much. If someone's not getting a beating for a half hour they don't think they are getting there money's worth I suppose. Can't just go in, warmup and do Fran in under 10 minutes and go home as an affiliate. That just seems to be what I see, lotsa chippers.

I'm sure all affiliates are different, but this might be the case with yours and one I know of.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Excellent work, Watson.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

I would say do what you look like. I personally would choose the .com WODs any day over a Level 1 CrossFit cert affiliate owner. And the reason is because that as far as I know Coach and Lauren are programming the WOD. Sorry but a Level 1 cert coach is usually very bad at programming WODs they tend to just pick things that will destroy you rather than make you more fit. It took Coach years to learn how not to kill someone.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
SO no, your statement is not correct.

Yeah I am pretty sure he is referring to a typical CrossFit METCON program. Most CrossFit endeavors shouldnt last beyond 20. But your right things with strength that have the 3-5 minute rest between efforts take that kind of time.