CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #21
Carlos Cristan

Profile:
Re: level 1 exam

I do, I just feel differently than you do. I'm sure you can understand and accept that. I'm sure there is no need to pursue it any further.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #22
Amy Crawford

Profile:

I can completely appreciate the inconvenience for many folks. But it is what it is. Testing is crucial to gaining credibility among other fitness "experts." And the rigorous testing includes testing under controlled conditions, and the only way that can happen is with a proctored test.

Regarding the test questions ... I took my level 1 in June of '08. While at FilFest in February, my husband and I decided to take the test, very last minute. We "studied," if you can call it that, for 5 minutes. We both passed. Now, I have been involved in CF for many years, and have been coaching it for 2. But my husband is relatively new to the coaching side of things (he took his level 1 in January of this year), and he did just fine. I'm not saying it's easy, but if you're immersed and paying attention, you should do fine.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #23
Troy Becker

Profile:

Okay, I completely misread that FAQ I guess. Hope there's one near me...
Old 05-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #24
Dan Leary

Profile:

Ladies & Gents, The test is hard. I took it two weeks ago when my military affiliate hosted a cert. Study the Manual, study the manual....Did I mention studying the manual? When you register, a link is sent to the manual-PRINT IT. It is not the same manual you got on your L1(117 pages vs 94). Study the manual. Good luck-know the manual & you will pass.
dan
Old 05-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #25
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

There may be some minor changes to the manual but none that would cause you to fail the exam. The major change is that the new manual includes three of the journals on Rhabdo, but like Dan said....just to be safe just print the new manual and study.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:29 AM   #26
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I just took the Level 1 Certification class and exam a couple of weekends ago and passed.

In my opinion if you can't pass the exam then you are lacking knowledge about the CrossFit philosophy and methods to do much more then run a basics class in someone else's box.

The test is legit but reasonable. I read the manual 3 times (it really isn't that long with all the pictures). The last time through I underlined what I thought was important. There were questions on the exam that were in the manual and never talked about in the class so you had to have done your homework. I expect people who never studied the manual could get in trouble.

My experience in life with a much bigger, harder exam I had to prepare for is the failures are almost always attributed to lack of preparation.

The pass standard is not very high. A 50 question exam, only 45 question count because 5 are being tested for future use. You only need to get 35 of the 45 right to pass. 35/45=77%.

Remember we all benefit from the accreditation process. It is why the Golbo gyms fail at getting results for their members and charge $29.95 a month. CrossFit Affiliates here in AZ get $100+ a month per client and are getting amazing results for every client who shows up on a regular basis.

Don't panic and be prepared, you will do fine.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #27
Ryan Grady

Profile:

just took the test last weekend and i will say this: the test does EXACTLY what it is designed to do: prove that you have a general understanding of the basic concepts and principles of CF. yes it is tricky and yes you NEED to study the manual, but do not panic, do not worry... EVERY SINGLE ANSWER comes directly from that manual.

now the CF level 2 cert is another story i heard... i heard that is "designed for you to fail".... not sure but ill save that for another thread
Old 05-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #28
Meredith Launius

Profile:

I took mine in April in Yosemite and found everything I ever needed to kno win the CFJ, the training guide, and some plain old common sense when you walk thru the door. If you pay attention at the seminar plus yr prep you should pass no prob. No tthat it isnt hard its just easy to be well prepared.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #29
Brent Currie

Profile:

just took my exam yesterday it was alot harder than i thought it would be. luckily i passed. read the manual.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #30
Laurie Smith

Profile:

I took the course in April and we were the first class to have the exam and we actually did have people that failed the exam. But like everyone here has stated, read the manual, pay attention in class and common sense and you'll pass just fine.