CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
Carlos Cristan

Profile:
Re: level 1 exam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
How did you prepare? I've read the entire student guide and am planning to go back through it. I'm also taking the test at the cert we're hosting so I'll be sitting through the entire thing.
I prepped by just reading the Study Guide(version 4) in addition to all the stuff on Rhabdo. I went through my Level 1 in July of 2009 and very honestly if I didn't CrossFit religously, read the forums, subscribe to the Journal, and just maintain a CrossFit type lifestyle in regards to Nutrition, Sleep, Exercise, and Recovery I don't know if I would have passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Gibson View Post
My rub with this whole deal is that people who have already attended level 1's are at a disadvantage when they show up for the 'test only', versus those who are taking it as part of their course. I bet if they broke down the 80% pass rate that we would find that the majority of the failures are 'test only' folks. Now, I know I can study, and I plan to study and be prepared, and it is stuff that I should know in and out anyway. BUT, my buddy did his level 1 after they added the test and he said during the instruction there were a lot of information peices that came with a foot stomp, or a wink wink, or a raised voice, or a "you might want to write this down"... you get the idea. I won't have the opportunity to sit in on the whole course, as well as many others of you I am sure, which puts us at a disadvantage, period.
I think I would have to disagree with this. If you're Level 1 and you work with and teach people what you know about nutrition, exercise, movement, recovery, and CrossFit methodology pretty regularly and you review the Level 1 guide you should be fine. Basically, if your actively training you'll be ok. If you did your Level 1 a few months ago or more, you knock out a WOD every now and then but never really work with anyone, and just scan through the journal the night before or just before the exam you might be hurting.

I know that there were some that didn't either learn or retain enough during the Cert to pass the exam and I know of a couple that were just there to test, like I was, that took it lightly and didn't pass.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #12
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Hmm, so what makes the test hard? Is it specific questions regarding, say perfect Zone ratios: "How many almonds can Mary have if she is on 12 blocks"? Or are there trick questions: "What movement initiates the Third Pull in a barbell clean"?

I am taking the test at Ft. Meade and I feel ready, but all this talk of failure is making me nervous!
Old 05-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #13
Randy Hill

Profile:

If I already attended a level 1 cert before a test was required, do I have to take the test now to be considered still certified?
Old 05-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #14
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hill View Post
If I already attended a level 1 cert before a test was required, do I have to take the test now to be considered still certified?
hey randy, read the faq! :P

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-seminars/.../L1TestFAQ.pdf sfw
Old 05-25-2010, 06:40 PM   #15
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
Hmm, so what makes the test hard? Is it specific questions regarding, say perfect Zone ratios: "How many almonds can Mary have if she is on 12 blocks"? Or are there trick questions: "What movement initiates the Third Pull in a barbell clean"?

I am taking the test at Ft. Meade and I feel ready, but all this talk of failure is making me nervous!
Without getting too specific, the answer to your questions is no. There are some tricky questions, but nothing like what you've described.

What Carlos said: if you have applied your knowledge in your own life and in training others and are active in a CrossFit community you will not have a problem.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #16
Troy Becker

Profile:

For people who got their certs less than a year before April 2010, having to pay even MORE just to go take a test by the end of the year... seems like horse to me.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:48 PM   #17
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
For people who got their certs less than a year before April 2010, having to pay even MORE just to go take a test by the end of the year... seems like horse to me.
RTFM (posted above by Renee) before you start *****ing:

Quote:
How much does my renewal test cost?
Individuals who received a certificate for a Level 1 Course prior to April 1, 2010 will have until Dec 31, 2011 to take the test once, free of charge.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #18
Jen Jacobs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
For those who went through the L1 Cert before April 2010, it is free to take the test. Cost of transportation, etc, to get to a facility holding an L1 cert or a place doing 'L1 tests only'. The charge of $150 is assessed if you fail it and have to take it again. And you have until the end of 2011 to take the test.

I got my L1 back in October and will be a 'test only' subject at Ft. Meade next weekend. I've been reviewing my notes from my cert as well as the manual and applying what I've learned, so hopefully that's enough. Yes, I feel like I'll miss out on some 'you might want to remember this' type of cues that the L1 participants will receive, but I plan to go in as prepared as possible.

Jen
Old 05-26-2010, 08:26 AM   #19
Shane Gibson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Cristan View Post
I think I would have to disagree with this. If you're Level 1 and you work with and teach people what you know about nutrition, exercise, movement, recovery, and CrossFit methodology pretty regularly and you review the Level 1 guide you should be fine. Basically, if your actively training you'll be ok. If you did your Level 1 a few months ago or more, you knock out a WOD every now and then but never really work with anyone, and just scan through the journal the night before or just before the exam you might be hurting.

I know that there were some that didn't either learn or retain enough during the Cert to pass the exam and I know of a couple that were just there to test, like I was, that took it lightly and didn't pass.

Hope this helps.
I'm not saying that it makes it too hard to pass and I'm not saying that I think I will have any trouble passing. I live and breath CrossFit and teach it to others. You and I agree on your points above. HOWEVER, you cannot deny that people taking the 'test only' are at an unfair disadvantage, regardless of whether they should know the material or not.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #20
Shane Gibson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic Kirkland View Post
RTFM (posted above by Renee) before you start *****ing:
I'm still *****ing. I live in Albuquerque, NM. There are no Level 1 facilities/certs anywhere near enough that I can make it a day trip. Which means, hotel, meals, etc on the road = $$$. Not to mention the gasoline cost and time away from my family for something that I thought was already taken care of. I took my level 1 the end of Jan 2010, so I was not happy when this info came out just a few weeks later. And my wife had already signed up and paid for her's that was the last weekend in Feb! Talk about getting the shaft. We have a 20 month old with no one near by who can watch him over night, so we can't even go take the test together unless one of the instructors wants to watch our kid for us during the test. The test may be free the first time, but the cost is still significant for someone on a budget who is trying to open an affiliate. I really feel for people who have to fly somewhere for this test to keep their affiliate viable.

Sorry for the rant, I feel a little better now. But I guess it is what is it.