CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
Frank Sabala

Profile:
Crossfit Research Paper

So for my health class I am required to write a small paper(5 pages) on any health topic I want to, I am choosing Crossfit. I have posted my guidelines for the CF community to see that way I can have plenty of insight from others and make it a much more enjoyable paper. Any help would be awesome!

These are the guidelines provided by my professor...

The paper must cover the following major points:
Introduction-

To include what the paper is about and why you chose the particular topic (Any topic relating to exercise or nutrition)

Body of the paper
What are the main points associated with the topic?
How will it affect the body?

Where does it come from or who created it?

What can a person do to change their diet, exercise, education and/or work ethic?

What kinds of products are currently available?

What equipment is necessary for the exercise?

Conclusion
Restate the main points.

What did you learn about this topic that is relevant to your own life?

*I am Level 1 certified and already have somewhat of an idea what I want to write about, so I am not asking anyone to do this for me in any way I would just like input from other fellow Crossfitters.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Nic Kirkland

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Research Paper

The guidelines you've listed sound like writing about CF should work well.

Do you have any specific concerns or ideas you want input on? Otherwise, answering questions like "What can a person do to change their diet, exercise, education and/or work ethic?" based on CF seems to be pretty straightforward.

What is your specific plan in terms of sections of the paper?
Old 04-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
Frank Sabala

Profile:

Maybe some personal testimonials that I can quote others on such as:

How your behavior has changed since you started CF?
Has your choices in nutrition changed since you started CF? How so? Why?
What do you think about the CF community being close and supportive? (Does that help you perform better or worse? Why?)
Does CF make life seem a little bit easier to go through?
Old 04-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Sabala View Post
Maybe some personal testimonials that I can quote others on such as:

How your behavior has changed since you started CF?
Has your choices in nutrition changed since you started CF? How so? Why?
What do you think about the CF community being close and supportive? (Does that help you perform better or worse? Why?)
Does CF make life seem a little bit easier to go through?
Yes.

CrossFit has made me much more interested in exercise science, physiology, nutrition, and a number of topics related to human performance. As a result of me doing research on those topics I have become more informed about the impact of training and choices I make in my life on my health and body.

As far as nutrition goes, it's included right there in the 100 word definition of Fitness. Paleo foods and zone proportions if you want to optimize performance. If you've got your L1, then you know how CF feels about the interconnectedness of health, wellness, fitness, and nutrition.

The community is what makes CF enjoyable and interesting to me. And it really functions on 2 levels. On the micro level, the community in the gym, with my workout buddies (or whoever I'm working with) pushes my daily performance and motivates me to hit the WOD's hard each day. On the macro level, the wider community (here online, in the Journal, at various certifications, and at multiple affiliates) helps and drives me to learn more and become more knowledgeable about CrossFit, fitness, and the above mentioned topics. There is some of that on the micro level too, but not the other way around. The interaction with the wider community has little to no impact on my motivation and drive in the gym. So definitely a good thing all around.

CF made life easier? Yes. I was doing 'fine' before I found CF, but it has helped me reach a new level of performance I would have never considered.

I would also recommend just browsing the various forums here as many of these topics have been discussed and broken down by the community multiple times. Check out some of the more active, longer-lived Workout Logs and talk to the folks doing them for testimonials.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
Frank Sabala

Profile:

Thanks man