CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:35 AM   #21
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: Why is crossfit so expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Honestly, though that's $660-840/year. I could buy a lot of equipment with that. If I buy my own stuff, I can workout whenever I want.
Then do it... Not everyone has the space to set up their own gym, or the desire to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
I've been under the careful eye of some CF coaches and sometimes that doesn't mean much or hasn't helped much. I don't give a damn about a personal cheerleader unless they are female and wearing the attire.
Out of 1500+ affiliates they can't all be winners... that's why you have to check the place out first and make sure there is actual coaching, and not just 3-2-1 go coaching/cheerleaders.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #22
Dave Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post

Out of 1500+ affiliates they can't all be winners... that's why you have to check the place out first and make sure there is actual coaching, and not just 3-2-1 go coaching/cheerleaders.
My concern has always been the coaching, or really, how necessary is the coaching that is supposedly the reason for the expense? The fact is, if you have a decent fitness background, how much coaching do you need to run, do a burpee, squat, deadlift, pull-up, dip, climb a rope, etc? I mean, the usual exercises are really pretty easy. Is my form perfect? No, but I've never been injured either. Where good coaching is needed is in the O-lifts and how competent is the average CF affiliate coach in coaching the O-lifts?

Old 01-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #23
Chris Walls

Profile:

I don't know... but I have other certifications in Olympic Lifting, and most of our coaching is not done during the WOD, but before when we are strength training, doing skill work, etc...

If there isn't any of that it and it's just show up, the WOD is on the board and at 7:00 the coach says 3-2-1... then ya, you don't need to pay extra for that.

And as for coaching during the WOD... well you might think your form/ROM is hot stuff when you're solo... but it's not.

Last edited by Chris Walls : 01-26-2010 at 09:25 AM.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #24
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Forget about the cost and focus instead on the return on investment.

I paid (I guess) $60/month for unlimited workouts at my old gym. Return on investment was basically nill. I just got to be somewhat stronger fat guy, working out alone at the gym with no real plan and not much enjoyment.

Now I pay $100/month for eight workouts, plus what is (at least for now) a freebie on Saturday. Return on investment between November and now is that I have dropped a few pants sizes, very noticeably increased my strength and endurance, gained a ton of self-confidence, made a host of new friends, and am having a blast.

Is the $40 delta worth it for me? Absolutely! Yes, I'm paying $40 more for the right to do fewer workouts, but I could care less. The benefits of that $40 are clear to me and everyone around me.

THEN add on all of the other more business-oriented reasons that you'll see in the other threads, and you know why -- at least for me -- Crossfit is not expensive at all.

- Mark
This is the biggest load of BS I've read in this thread. If you think that the $40 all of the sudden gives someone the willpower to now workout and all of the sudden make HUGE gains because they are in a CF box rather than a run-of-the-mill gym, give me a break!! This just proves that you can't mentally do it on your own, never took the time to learn things on your own, and need the crutch of a box to make you progress.

I hear this same excuse all the time and its utter BS. I trained in a normal gym for years and made excellent gains, becaues I WANTED TO!! I had the determination and self-power to do it. The general public doesn't, that's true...but the $$ isn't what does it....or maybe it does. I'd make sure I hit every damn workout I could if I was dropping THAT much money on a membership somewhere or I'd feel stupid for forking over my money and not at least trying to get something out of it!!

Old 01-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #25
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post
This is the biggest load of BS I've read in this thread. If you think that the $40 all of the sudden gives someone the willpower to now workout and all of the sudden make HUGE gains because they are in a CF box rather than a run-of-the-mill gym, give me a break!! This just proves that you can't mentally do it on your own, never took the time to learn things on your own, and need the crutch of a box to make you progress.
Some people genuinely do better in a group setting. It's not a "crutch" or a "lack of willpower," it's a fundamental personality difference.

What do you care, anyway? It's their money.

Katherine

Old 01-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #26
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post
This is the biggest load of BS I've read in this thread.
And now YOUR message is the biggest load of BS I've read in this thread.

It's an individual thing as to whether or not the cost delta is worth it. TO ME it is. Am I trying to tell everyone that it's worth it? No. Am I trying to claim that everyone should pay the difference and go to a box? No. Do I give a rat's azz about your opinion? Most definitely no.

Not everyone is you, Stu, and you're downright stupid if you think everyone's approach to Crossfit and fitness in general is going to be the same as yours.

- Mark

Old 01-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #27
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Stu,

Most people aren't like you and need the group atmosphere to show up (to see their friends, be social, whatever) and push themselves. Some people need it, others don't. If you need it, the price is worth it, if you don't, the price isn't.

"implement programming that fits my goals."

this is one of the bigger reasons I don't belong to an affiliate.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #28
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
$225 per month? For that, I hope you get to train with Glassman himself. (Or at least one of the other Big Names.) My aikido dues are half that, for unlimited classes with a recognized world class instructor. My Crossfit dues are also substantially less, and include open access to the gym.

Yes, an affiliate should cost more than a standard gym, because you really do get much more personal attention and the affiliate's cost per user is therefore much higher. And yes, costs will certainly vary with the market. Still, if you're going to charge top-of-market rates, you need top-of-market expertise, and I'm not sure how many affiliates really deliver that.

Katherine

AGREED. Excellent post.

I pay $199/yr for a lifting gym that allows chalk and heavy stuff in general. The closest CF gym that offers something similar is $260/mo (for 3 classes/wk). For some people, the nearly $3k difference/year is obviously worth it. For me, it's not, even though the coaches ARE great.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #29
Dave Campbell

Profile:

Quote:

And as for coaching during the WOD... well you might think your form/ROM is hot stuff when you're solo... but it's not.
I never suggested that my form/ROM was hot stuff, but I've been able to do CF since 2003 without any injuries and I'm certain my form is as good as/better than most of the videos posted on this site. C'mon, do I really need constant coaching to do Fran or Helen? Some might, but I know I don't. O-lifting is another story and I've worked with a local O-lifter/coach to improve my technique and it's helped a great deal. I worked with him for 3 months and now I do it on my own. I can only speak for me and what works for me.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #30
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:

This is unreasonable and part of the snobbery of CF (especially lately) that bothers me. You can't assume people have bad form. The vast majority of newb cf'ers have horrible form, yes. The vast majority of people on this forum have figured out how to access all the self-coaching they could ever need. Of course, my form sucks, but I don't go around assuming everyone who is uncoached on a daily basis has crappy form as well. Just most of them.

Closed Thread