CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #11
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Why is crossfit so expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
When I see comments like this from affiliates (i think i charge too little! 225 a month is a steal!) I often wonder how much they think they should be making per person. 500 a month? 750?

My affiliate just had a price increase but I got grandfathered in at my old rate. I find $75 a month to be very affordable for me (my wife pays 75 too). If I had to pay any more though I wouldn't be able to afford it.

BUT! I would be upset that I couldn't afford it because it has made a big difference for me if that counts for anything.
It is a business. As with any, supply and demand will dictate the price. It's been like that for 100+ years.
That being said, we do try our best to help members that want to join, but are unable to afford the fees. It's a thin line, and if you plan to do that, I would at least recommend getting a paystub from them for proof of income, prior to making and hardship agreement.
That's just us. We are not a charity, we want to make money, and lots of it doing what we love to do. I don't see any problem with that. Our ability to be flexible with some members is something some will appreciate; and thank us by referring many times more people than we'd have ever expected.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

$225 per month? For that, I hope you get to train with Glassman himself. (Or at least one of the other Big Names.) My aikido dues are half that, for unlimited classes with a recognized world class instructor. My Crossfit dues are also substantially less, and include open access to the gym.

Yes, an affiliate should cost more than a standard gym, because you really do get much more personal attention and the affiliate's cost per user is therefore much higher. And yes, costs will certainly vary with the market. Still, if you're going to charge top-of-market rates, you need top-of-market expertise, and I'm not sure how many affiliates really deliver that.

Katherine

Old 01-24-2010, 09:13 PM   #13
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Well I was just exaggerating for the point. I don't know about $225 a month.

I believe a singles membership is 125 and a couples is 200 at my affiliate.

But me and my wife got on board when it was 150 for a couple so we pay 75 apiece.

I really can't afford much more than that and my affiliate owner knows that. He grandfathered everyone in at the rate they had when they started. So we got lucky. If we'd come 3 months later we wouldn't be able to afford it. So I'm glad I made the jump when I did!

Old 01-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #14
Ben Chew

Profile:

Heck I pay $150 a month, and while I wouldn't like it, I WOULD pay more. I don't think the value of what you get in a good CrossFit box can even really be accounted for in money. The positive adaptations are so massive and aply to so many other facets of my life outside the gym I can't imagine life with out it now.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #15
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Aggarwala View Post
I'm not complaining, but more like inquiring.
DISCLAIMER: I've never been a member of an affiliate, but I have been a paying member of a commercial gym, but that was many years ago, so my opinions may be relatively off-kilter. I work out in military fitness centers, which are free...for the time being, anyways...

I think that the two main reasons why I would choose to join a box or gym are (1) to get out of the house and be in a collective with like-minded people for motivation and community, and (2) to save money from buying the equipment myself and the maintenance involved in keeping everything in tip-top condition. If I joined a box, I'd know exactly what to expect training-wise, and unlike the usual contractual stipulations involved with joining a franchise gym (what an absolute nightmare it is to get out of that!), I could pay month by month and walk away at any time. If my fitness goals were centered on using bumper plates, C2 rowers, kettlebells under the watchful eye of a coach, then I'd join a box. If I wanted to use treadmills, ellipticals, steppers, etc., plus enjoy spin classes and such, and have dumbbells and the usual weightlifting equipment but didn't mind being on my own, chances are I'd join a Gold's, Bally, 24-Hour Fitness, and the like.

I guess if you join a box, you're paying for coaching and use of equipment; if you join a commercial gym, you're paying for use of equipment and shower facilities.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #16
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
$225 per month? For that, I hope you get to train with Glassman himself. (Or at least one of the other Big Names.) My aikido dues are half that, for unlimited classes with a recognized world class instructor. My Crossfit dues are also substantially less, and include open access to the gym.

Yes, an affiliate should cost more than a standard gym, because you really do get much more personal attention and the affiliate's cost per user is therefore much higher. And yes, costs will certainly vary with the market. Still, if you're going to charge top-of-market rates, you need top-of-market expertise, and I'm not sure how many affiliates really deliver that.

Katherine

CrossFit is expensive because the business model requires it. Whether or not it's worth it depends greatly.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #17
Alec Sean Kellish

Profile:

I believe you get what u pay for and the some ratio from clients to instructor per class are great! Sadly my mom doesnt agree so no affiliate membership for me only a couple times a mouth >.<

Old 01-25-2010, 05:09 PM   #18
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Sean Kellish View Post
I believe you get what u pay for and the some ratio from clients to instructor per class are great! Sadly my mom doesnt agree so no affiliate membership for me only a couple times a mouth >.<
Well, yes. It's very easy to decide that a given purchase is worthwhile when someone else is paying for it.

Katherine

Old 01-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #19
John Scott Rezendes

Profile:

I wish I could complain about affiliate pricing. My nearest XFit gym is about an hour away.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:30 PM   #20
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

1. I like this idea. There is a part of me that likes working out with like-minded people. However, I have noticed that when working out; I don't really care if they are there or not. They are nice to talk to before and after but are not a necessary part of my training. I don't need them to yell things at me while I'm in a workout unless they feel the urge or desire to get maimed by me. Of course, I think in actually there is a small part of me that likes the idea of community, but a greater part of me that could care less.

2. This is a pretty good idea. I have found 1 CF gym that allows gym access for 70/month but doesn't have a lot of availability on the weekend. There is another gym that is even cheaper but less availability. Honestly, though that's $660-840/year. I could buy a lot of equipment with that. If I buy my own stuff, I can workout whenever I want. I don't need to get there and more importantly I can implement programming that fits my goals.

I've been under the careful eye of some CF coaches and sometimes that doesn't mean much or hasn't helped much. I don't give a damn about a personal cheerleader unless they are female and wearing the attire.

Closed Thread