CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
Piyush Aggarwala

Profile:
Why is crossfit so expensive?

Hi,

Although I can pay for the amount, and frankly, am glad I can pay my $225 for unlimited sessions, I'm curious to know why crossfit is so expensive given that I'm only in the gym for an hour, out of which the real workout doesn't last more than a half hour?

I'm not complaining, but more like inquiring. Is it because its expensive to pay the certified trainers, pay the utility bills, etc..??

Old 01-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
Jason David

Profile:
Re: Why is crossfit so expensive?

Weird...I was just wondering why it was so inexpensive myself.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Piyush, this has been discussed a few times, but boils down to the fact that you are paying for 1) better quality service 2) more 1-on-1 training than from a globo-gym and 3) for the competitive community atmosphere

Think of it this way... how much would it be to have a personal trainer at Gold's train you? More than your CF gym, thats for sure. Now, at your CF gym, you're not the only one being trained, but there is a lot of supervision and guidance.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
Alex Europa

Profile:

As Lawrence said, it's been discussed numerous times. A search will yield pages and pages of discussion on the topic.

Here is one link (from less than 1 month ago, BTW) to get you started (w/f/s):
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...ight=expensive

Old 01-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Forget about the cost and focus instead on the return on investment.

I paid (I guess) $60/month for unlimited workouts at my old gym. Return on investment was basically nill. I just got to be somewhat stronger fat guy, working out alone at the gym with no real plan and not much enjoyment.

Now I pay $100/month for eight workouts, plus what is (at least for now) a freebie on Saturday. Return on investment between November and now is that I have dropped a few pants sizes, very noticeably increased my strength and endurance, gained a ton of self-confidence, made a host of new friends, and am having a blast.

Is the $40 delta worth it for me? Absolutely! Yes, I'm paying $40 more for the right to do fewer workouts, but I could care less. The benefits of that $40 are clear to me and everyone around me.

THEN add on all of the other more business-oriented reasons that you'll see in the other threads, and you know why -- at least for me -- Crossfit is not expensive at all.

- Mark

Old 01-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Do you think you are getting your money's worth? Then be happy. I know where I live a Crossfit gym could never charge that and stay in business, area you live will dictate part of the price. What people are willing to pay and the competition will determine the rest of the price.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Casey Raiford

Profile:

That was very well said, Mark.

For the OP: Look for a moment at the other side of the equation. I run a military non-profit that's been operating on base for a couple of years now. I didn't start it, I took it over from a good friend who did. That being said, several buddies and I spend close to or over 20 hours a week running four sessions a day for forty plus people. That's on top of our normal 40 hour a week duties. It takes a lot of time, effort and coordination. Additionally, we've gotten a tennant command to invest in establishing a unit program that we also host.

What do we get paid for it? Not one thin dime. Nada. Nyet. Neener.

We do it because we believe in the program and it produces measurable, incontrovertable results. Will it cost you more to go to a commercial affiliate than it will to get ignored at a big box gym? Yes it absolutely will.

The difference between what you spend and what you get is several fold in your favor.

Last edited by Casey Raiford : 01-23-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
Dave Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Forget about the cost and focus instead on the return on investment.

I paid (I guess) $60/month for unlimited workouts at my old gym. Return on investment was basically nill. I just got to be somewhat stronger fat guy, working out alone at the gym with no real plan and not much enjoyment.
It's an individual thing. I pay $19.95 per month for my gym membership. When the weather is good, I workout in my garage. Either way, my ROI has been outstanding. Much of that ROI is due to what I've learned here as a starting point and where I've gone since then. The idea that I would need to go to a CF affiliate and pay $100, $150 or $200 to workout is crazy. I respect anyone who is working to make themselves better. Jogging, spinning, traditional bodybuilding, aerobics, etc. I've never found the idea of fitness very difficult and it would pain me to pay $150 per month to get "1 on 1 coaching", especially when there is a very good possibility that the coach has little over me besides a weekend certification.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell View Post
It's an individual thing. I pay $19.95 per month for my gym membership. When the weather is good, I workout in my garage. Either way, my ROI has been outstanding. Much of that ROI is due to what I've learned here as a starting point and where I've gone since then. The idea that I would need to go to a CF affiliate and pay $100, $150 or $200 to workout is crazy. I respect anyone who is working to make themselves better. Jogging, spinning, traditional bodybuilding, aerobics, etc. I've never found the idea of fitness very difficult and it would pain me to pay $150 per month to get "1 on 1 coaching", especially when there is a very good possibility that the coach has little over me besides a weekend certification.
Which is the very difference between below average coaching, and exceptional coaching. It's the same in every profession.
I wouldn't blame someone for not wanting to pay good sums of money to an affiliate where the trainer has no more knowledge than myself, or to work with a group of like-minded people. HOWEVER, for a seasoned, experienced coach to train you, it is well worth an investment.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
Weird...I was just wondering why it was so inexpensive myself.
When I see comments like this from affiliates (i think i charge too little! 225 a month is a steal!) I often wonder how much they think they should be making per person. 500 a month? 750?

My affiliate just had a price increase but I got grandfathered in at my old rate. I find $75 a month to be very affordable for me (my wife pays 75 too). If I had to pay any more though I wouldn't be able to afford it.

BUT! I would be upset that I couldn't afford it because it has made a big difference for me if that counts for anything.

Closed Thread