CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
Judd Shea

Profile:
Re: Muscle Trac vs The stick

sorry this is a bit late, but I did order the Muscletrac a few weeks back and it's awesome. I have used The Stick, foam roller, TP Massage stuff, pretty much everything...

I like it a lot, really gets deep down and works the muscle opposed to just rolling over the muscle like the stick, feels a lot different. I really like it b/c it's very portable and works great.

I had an issue with mine where the handle was slipping off and contacted them and they sent me a brand new one right out, so they def stand bytheir product.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #12
Trevor Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britt Freund View Post
Hi Aaron.

Good question. I have and use "The Stick" but wasn't even aware of the MuscleTrac. It looks like a torture device .

I have found, for me at least, that foam rolling plus lacrosse ball plus "The Stick" really make a difference in the way I feel (and even in my lifts).

One thing I have been trying recently that might be a less-expensive alternative is 4" hard PVC instead of foam rollers.

My current routine has been lacrosse ball for arches and calves and glutes, foam roller (now replaced with 4" PVC schedule 40 pipe) for hams, glutes, quads, ad/ab-ductors, low back, thoracic spine, lats, and pecs. I then follow up with "The Stick" on my upper back.

Is this similar to what you do?

The MuscleTrac looks like it would work as a replacement for "The Stick" on your upper back. I, personally, have found that foam (or PVC) rolling works better on the rest of the body because you can use bodyweight to really put pressure on any trigger points you find...

Regards,
brittf
I use a PVC pipe with some thin foam glued to it. Works great/painful.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #13
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Wallace View Post
I use a PVC pipe with some thin foam glued to it. Works great/painful.
Ouch... That is more hard-core than me . Probably does wonders, however...

I tried using the Lacrosse ball on my glutes, like Eric Cressey suggests, but it just hurt too much. I roll my glutes on the hard PVC and call it good.

Regards,
brittf
Old 10-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #14
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Ok, pulled it out about an hour ago out of the box. First impressions are the wheels are like plastic gears, rubber handles with some type of carbon fiber center. Either way, very sturdy product.

Rolled my quadricep to test. I already knew where most of my trigger points where, but to my surprise, it actually found more hidden trigger points then a normal tennis ball would. I picked my calves as another area. Again, found a couple more trigger points that I was able to relieve in just a few passes. The amount of pressure you can apply and the way the gears roll over the tissue make this a versatile product.

Already I like this better than the stick, but will keep you guys updated as I continue rolling other muscle groups. So far, if your using it mainly for lower body, this is a good buy for a massage tool!!!
Old 10-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
Patrick Otis

Profile:

I have the stick and like it, however I got the travel one, makes the lower back a bit diffcult. How does this compare to the stick in dimensions? thanks Pat
Old 10-25-2009, 09:17 AM   #16
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Oh its much smaller than the stick(probably my only complaint) if your looking for something to do your upper back with. However, I have a Theracane for that purpose.

The major muscle groups it works flawlessly on so far are: calves, quads, it band, hamstrings(use less pressure when seeking trigger points they are sneaky here), and adductors. Glutes I didnt see too much benefit with, but again, a lacrosse or tennis ball has been the standard tool for that area.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:28 PM   #17
Eddie Briones

Profile:

any more update on the muscle trac? Im still deciding on the stick or the muscle trac. i need a preworkout warm up, and i cant really fit my foam roller in my gym bag. esp with O-lifts. thanks!

-eddie.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #18
Patrick Otis

Profile:

I like the travel stick for a "quickie", however it is only good for a quickie, need the longer one to do it more in depth. I am guessing the muscle trac has the same issues.?. I have started foam rolling now and love it.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #19
Judd Shea

Profile:

IMO the muscletrac is beefier than the stick and works much better than the travel stick and even the regular stick. I have all 3 and like my muscletrac's and use them more often than the stick. All are great though, if you use them.