CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
Pete Mielo

Profile:
Just another reminder of why I love CrossFit

I got just another reminder of why I love CrossFit today. I just moved back to PA, bought a house and am working on setting up my garage gym. The closest CrossFit is about 30-45 minutes away and I tried to save myself some time by going to a gym right up the street to get in a quick workout.

It was $7 for a "day pass"; no free trial, which I guess isn't the worst thing in the world. The girl behind the counter was nice enough, she had no mean-ness to her. She did what was required of her; gave me change from the $20 I gave her, took the money for the bottles of water I bought and had me fill out their waiver form. The heavy-set older gentlemen talking to her about a dinner he had out recently in between her answering my questions finally suggested to her on his way out that she give me a tour since it was my first time in there.

Decent size weight room with all the normal "bodybuilding" expecations. No bumper plates. One pull up bar, on the "universal", with a grip so wide I would've had to be about a foot taller to even attempt it. Couple of cardio machines, weight machines upstairs, a sauna, tanning beds, racquetball courts and a basketball court. They did have indoor batting cages which I thought was interesting. They also had an indoor track which was a plus, minus the fact that 14 laps= a mile on it.

I've been doing my own programming and planned "Michael" today. I'm sure I looked interesting to the 10 or so people in there as I ran my 7 laps, stopped my watch, ran (carefully) down the stairs, started my watch, did back extensions on the 45 degree hyperextension bench, then sit-ups on a decline bench, stopped my watch to run back up stairs...

It wasn't a horrible place but I think next time I'll just give myself more time and make the longer drive!
Old 10-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
Karin Jonczak

Profile:
Re: Just another reminder of why I love CrossFit

I sometimes used to go to the local globogym (I won't anymore, but its a long story). What I find is that you just have to change your WODs to fit the equipment and environment. It is not a bad thing, but you do have to be creative.

Karin