CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Huge Decline in Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Petranek View Post
I used to have the same concern as you do... and what I've come to realize is that what you're describing takes place in ANY service industry that doesn't operate as a franchise. Is there a difference between one stock broker and another? You betcha - even though they use the same stock market... and what about one graphic designer from another? Of course... even though, for the most part, they all use the same tools, computers and software.
This. I drive past at least three aikido dojos and goodness knows how many other martial arts schools to get to the one I attend. People who can recognize quality will seek it out.

(The corollary: If you think you can compete on quality, make sure your potential audience knows how to recognize quality when they find it.)

Katherine
Old 10-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #12
Tom Seryak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Robinson View Post
24-7 metcons are lame, especially when you can't even lift your own ***
Thank you!!
Old 10-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #13
David Meverden

Profile:

I think that Mr. Pain has some good points, though I wish he would be more civil in delivering them. His hyperbole and insulting tone do not aid his arguments.

The affiliate I frequent would not be considered a "decent" gym by his standard but I'm not going to apologize for that or look down on it. A lot of people do CrossFit workouts on their own, or do them in a basement, or would do them if they had someone to help motivate them. The box I go to is a place for those people to come be with like minded people and get their asses kicked together. It doesn't charge exorbitant fees, it doesn't usually come up with detailed individual prescriptions, and it isn't a factory for turning the most hardcore athletes into the most hardcore competitors.

And I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

I want to get stronger so I do additional strength work, and sometimes do football WoDs instead of the posted WoD. Others do additional endurance WoDs. It is a place to experiment and have fun and do the CrossFit workouts that we would try to do anyway in a globo or in a garage. I love going there. I love the relaxed attitude. I love the ability to stray from their WoDs and choose my own programmin. I love hanging out with the great people there.

P.S. I guess the question is: Is it wrong for people to open boxes for the purpose of being more-or-less a communal garage gym? I guess I would say 'yes' only if they are selling themselves as something significantly different than that (charging huge fees, acting like they are gods gift to training when their stuff is just generic recommendations and mediocre workouts).

Last edited by David Meverden : 10-06-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #14
Alex Murray

Profile:

Andy hit it right on. I too have thought about the same quality issues as John Shaeffer as I am sure the majority of quality trainers who are passionate about CrossFit have as well.

As trainers and affiliate owners all you can do is make your box the best training facility possible. Focus on programming, clients' needs, gym environment, professional coaching, and most of all be relentless in pushing virtuosity.

One thing that I loved about the Level 2 was the focus on being relentless with clients. The clients that want to be there can take it and they want it. Focus on that relentless virtuosity and your gym will be great.

Good dialogue.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #15
John C. Brown

Profile:

"Huge Decline in Quality"

This is one of those sweeping generalizations that, for all intents and purposes give me a case of the runs.

Are the points in the article valid? Some, yes, some no. Do we need to consult SMEs on the Games programming? I think that that is ridiculous. This past year's games saw some of the most amazing feats of physical and mental strength and did well to accomplish the two goals that it set to accomplish: to establish the fittest man and woman on Earth for the next year, and to do so in a way that was unknown and unknowable. In my opinion CF doesn't need a lot of help there.

Are there gyms that need to be better at what they do? Absolutely! But instead of merely complaining, why not do something about it. Get your local gyms together and talk about training and how to become better. Offer to trade out weeks or months of programming for each other's gyms. If strength is what you think is the biggest issue, then start holding olympic and powerlifting meets and invite all of the local affiliates. If bad programming is the issue than get people together and offer ideas. One of the biggest problem with the chipper workouts that are constantly programmed at some gyms, is that the gym owner/ lead trainer doesn't have enough equipment to do workouts for everyone, so they do a start and finish. If no one gives them ideas on how to work around these issues, like say breaking into groups, doing team wods or starting in offset positions, than chippers is what they get... If they don't have enough bumpers (and really, how can you ever have enough) than they are afraid of doing strength days, because the clientele complain about waiting around or some such BS. Well, tell your clients that if they want more bars and bumpers, donate some cash. Mike Burgener passes the hat at "Mike's," if it isn't too good for him, why is it too good for you? Our building is huge and costs a boatload to heat in the winter (Colorado= cold), I told my folks that if they wanted the heat on to bring in more people.

I have not met the folks from Greyskull, although I have heard from more than a few people that they are good people and that their biggest priority is their clients. That is awesome, I am sad to see them go. The bottom line is that if they were really disappointed with things, they would have taken steps to change them rather than walk away. As far as the bad CF gyms, they will likely fail on many levels, this is the business model that Coach Glassman wants... I think. I once had Jeff Martin talk to me about my seat on the bus, well it seems to me that Greg and a few others are firmly in the driver's seat. If I want to change the direction, I better have a really good reason why, and the proof to support my argument, otherwise I would plan on packing my bags as well. Not because I disagree (the aforementioned business plan allows for that after all), but because I decided that I didn't want to play the role that was meant for me and I was asked to step off the bus.

If you want to change things, do it, don't cry about how bad the world is.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #16
Eric Neri

Profile:

Here we go again - the topic that refuses die when it really should: many people are so concerned about what other people are doing and less concerned with making what they do better. This has been addressed NUMEROUS times by everyone, including Greg Glassman. NUMEROUS reasons for not using what has been termed "quality control" have been given and discussed. They are compelling.

I don't really see the article as much more than a bitter rant. Why so bitter? After the initial "everyone is horrible" rant, it goes off into a "CrossFit is horrible because it doesn't revere strength training as the one true path to your salvation" rant. Then it goes off into the "the horrible local affiliates keep getting new members and I don't" rant. Instead of quietly letting his affiliation expire and going in his own direction as many have done, he's throwing a tantrum and taking his ball and going home. I don't think the tantrum deserves much thought.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #17
Stephen Fouasnon

Profile:

sweeping generalizations always throw up a red flag for me... The whole argument reminds me of someone who stopped liking a band because it got really popular. If they think the majority of affiliates are watered down, and I guess that suggests they're the only gym that has divined the secret of true fitness (behold my 115 sp for 5 reps), then Greyskull won the affiliate competition at the games right? No? Well then surely they'll win next year... Then we'll all bow at their feet and plead for the fitness secrets. Until then my advice would be to take some english comp. classes, so that when you have to write the article on super fitness it'll be readable...
Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #18
Matt Charney

Profile:

John, why is consulting the experts ridiculous?

Maybe if the SME's were briefed there could have been a few minor tweaks that could have made the competition even better. I didn't say they would have the final word but why not ask their opinion?

Maybe we wouldn't have so many competitors tied for 1st place in the dead lift. Did it matter towards the final results? No, but as a spectator I would have liked to see a 1st place finisher in that event.

As you said they "did well to accomplish the two goals that it set to accomplish". Maybe they would have done great or outstanding, with just a few minor tweaks, instead of well.

Personally I thought the games went well also. I also know that this is only the third year and new things will be tried and some will be great, some will be ok and some will fail. I didn't see much failure this year but even Tony Budding admitted they underestimated the competitors on that event.

Matt
Old 10-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #19
Alex Murray

Profile:

Nice example Stephen. I used that same one earlier today on a facebook thread where someone posted the Grey Skull blog entry

It is so true though. Now that CF is getting popular and not 'core' enough then it must be a sell out and therefore crap. Makes perfect sense to me
Old 10-06-2009, 11:26 PM   #20
Travis Rask

Profile:

Noob question...WHAT makes a good affiliate?

I love my affiliate, and in my neophyte experience it is the best one I've been a member of (I've been a member at 4 since starting in 2008).

My problem is I can't really define WHY. The only thing I can say is EVERY time I do a WOD there, I'm pushed to my limits. We mix it up well from what I can see. 1-2 "strength" days per week (a la CFSB+short metcon), a few really good cardio-oriented metcon chippers, and usually a heavier metcon or two mixed in (lots of snatches, OHS, cleans, etc.).

My current box won the Affiliate cup this year as well, is that a good indicator of quality?

Does this make sense? Any input?