CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #21
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: fat doesn't make you fat?

It is really calories in, calories out, but both quantities are highly variable and tightly coupled, so you get into a non linear dynamic system.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #22
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
It's not as simple as "calories in vs. calories out". If it worked simply that way, all those people that were on low-cal/low-fat diets doing chronic cardio would be the thinnest folks around...we've watched/learned from their failures.
If they actually followed their diets, they would be. The problem is that a diet that leaves people feeling hungry all the time isn't sustainable. If the calorie deficit is too big, metabolism slows down, the body stores fat, and the "eat more" signal becomes more and more difficult to ignore. But if there's no calorie deficit at all, you just aren't going to lose weight.

Katherine
Old 07-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #23
Stanley Walter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
It's not as simple as "calories in vs. calories out". If it worked simply that way, all those people that were on low-cal/low-fat diets doing chronic cardio would be the thinnest folks around...we've watched/learned from their failures.

Food profoundly affects our body's functions partially by fuel (kcal), but mostly by hormones eg. insulin. Fat is hormonally neutral...carbohydrates most certainly are not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
What does this statement mean? I am confused.

As the others have said... Fat in itself doesn't make you fat... unless you have too much of it. Just like Carbohydrate. What makes you gain weight is consistent excess calories, whatever the source.

So eat carbs if you want, eat fat if you want...

If you are trying to gain weight but want to keep fat gain to a minimum, simply

a) keep your excess small (say 3-500 kcal/day for a gain of <1 pound per week)
b) lift heavy
c) get enough protein
First post I quoted is right. The second one isn't.

Saying that you can still eat carbs like you can eat fat/protein and lose weight the same way is 'wrong.'
Old 07-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #24
Scott Clark

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Walter View Post
First post I quoted is right. The second one isn't.

Saying that you can still eat carbs like you can eat fat/protein and lose weight the same way is 'wrong.'
The only way the carbs will contribute to weight gain is the same way the other macronutrients contribute.... an excess of calories. I know it's popular these days for people to think that the laws of thermodynamics died when Gary Taubes became popular, but that isn't the case.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #25
Stanley Walter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Clark View Post
The only way the carbs will contribute to weight gain is the same way the other macronutrients contribute.... an excess of calories. I know it's popular these days for people to think that the laws of thermodynamics died when Gary Taubes became popular, but that isn't the case.
Pretty bold argument to say that insulin has nothing to do with the whole equation.

Excess calories are indeed a problem, but you can't ignore the way our body regulates fat. Or is supposed to regulate fat.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #26
Danni Coffman

Profile:

Quote:
Pretty bold argument to say that insulin has nothing to do with the whole equation.

Excess calories are indeed a problem, but you can't ignore the way our body regulates fat. Or is supposed to regulate fat.
Could someone please explain how insulin "regulates fat" and how/why eating carbs, even with a calorie defecit, makes people fat?

Last edited by Danni Coffman : 07-27-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:27 PM   #27
Stanley Walter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni Coffman View Post
Could someone please explain how insulin "regulates fat" and how/why eating carbs, even with a calorie defecit, makes people fat?
Nobody ever said that someone in a calorie deficit is going to gain weight by eating carbs.

But, people are usually fat because they eat too many carbs. Not only does it spike your insulin levels leading to excess fat storage, but it also increases the amount of calories you take in by a lot more than eating lots of protein/fat does.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:00 PM   #28
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Most of the carbs that most people eat most of, most of the time, are almost totally devoid of nutrition (white flour, white sugar), and as the body signals that you are hungry when nutrient levels in the blood drop, not when the stomach is full, overeating occurs.
Fat has over double the calories per gram of carbs, and usually a lot more nutritional content, so we end up eating less in volume because we get more out of a diet higher in fat.
In a similar way, protein sources tend to be more nutritionally dense than carb sources, despite a similar calories per gram ratio, so we feel less like eating more after upping the protein quota in our meals.

Don't ask me how this ties in with the insulin thing though.... I tend to agree with Scott Clark; nature only respects and responds to the energy equation, and I don't believe there are too many exemptions...but I stand ready to be corrected by those far more knowledgeable...
Old 07-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #29
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Nobody ever said that someone in a calorie deficit is going to gain weight by eating carbs.
No?

Well, maybe not in so many words.

But I've read many posts claiming that "carbs make you fat," or that the number of calories isn't as important as having the "right" macronutrient ratio, or that getting rid of carbs will cause the weight to magically melt away.

And I've also read a fair number of posts ridiculing the idea that a carb-heavy diet might actually produce the same results as a low carb diet with the same number of calories.

Yet somehow the forum's embrace of calorie counting had escaped my notice.

Katherine
Old 07-28-2009, 12:14 AM   #30
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Cristan View Post
So easy, a caveman can do it!!
Exactly.........