CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 04:53 PM   #21
Tom Woodward

Profile:
Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?

My take is some people who even fully understand CrossFit just do not agree with a generalist approach to fitness. When you ask "how fit are you?" these people think the immediate response should be "fit for what?" Some people I've talked to frankly think CF is just a waste of time and energy and that a person should make more specialized fitness goals and use a more tactical path to get there.

What gets the pot stirring with people is probably the zealotry that takes place with newbies who preach CF as a magic bullet. So yeah, I'll throw another vote in for ego.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #22
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
PLUS: You can say a lot on the internet, you wouldn't say in real life.
This.

See: (John Gabriel's Internet F***wad Theory) http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/19/ Link NSFW due to foul language in the written form.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #23
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Rawls View Post
Define competitive.

Give examples of cross-fitters who train exclusively using crossfit who are competitive with the best. Those who use occasional crossift or crossfit-like workouts wouldn't qualify, because that's just cross-training, which has been around for decades.

As someone who has competed at a high level in several sports that required distinct skills, I didn't have to become a freak, but I did have to specialize. And more specialization would have made me more successful.
I think that you are missing the point...
Crossfit is the cake; specialization is the cherry on top.
I don't think crossfit will make me a world class grappler, but I know from experience that using crossfit as my base and learning technique gives me a distinct edge over someone who just does technique. I would also go as far as to say that just my fitness level would give better wrestlers and BJJ guys a lot of trouble, I scramble faster, sprawl quicker and shoot harder because of the base I built not the sport specific work I do. The better question is name an athlete that would not benefit from adding in some crossfit programming into their training?

As far as hating Crossfit, some of it is misunderstanding and some is the attitude. I tend to believe that all communities worth being a part of have a little bit of an ego problem, I mean that is what makes America great, is it not. We have an unwavering sense of pride in what we believe in?

So **** the haters.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #24
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Because it's easy and cool to glorify strength (which is something CrossFit doesn't do that well) and look upon the building of muscular and cardiovascular endurance (which is something CrossFit does very well) as namby-pamby and/or dumb stuff.

Some peoples' idea of GPP involves primarily low-rep strength/power work with a pinch of (light) conditioning. Then you watch them try a 5K or something like Filthy Fifty and they get buried.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #25
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Light View Post
I think most people hate it because of this type of attitude right here.

My workout is better than your workout..... blah..... blah..... blah.....

Different methods to achieve different goals. Crossfit isn't any better than a bodybuilding workout. It is for me, because it fits my goals, but for someone looking to compete in bodybuilding shows, its terrible.
Gee. Forgive my poor attitude.
So you're suggesting instead that those who dislike CF
a. Have tried it
b. Have done it right
c. Have done it for a long period
d. Found it real easy, and
e. Didn't suck at anything?

...hmmmmm....
Clearly YOU don't like MY attitude, and you don't have to.
But you put forth a very feeble reason why everyone else who doesn't, doesn't. And no countering points as to how or why my points are incorrect or inaccurate.
You've got to do a bit better than that.

And to come up with that old beauty that it doesn't match your specific sporting or lifestyle goals (which i can fully understand...), and then trot out BODYBUILDING as an example......!!
At least if you'd mentioned something performance based, you wouldn't be reading this post.....

Old 07-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #26
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I hate Crossfit because it makes me tired, sore and pukie.
I love Crossfit because it's whipping my fat a** into shape.

It's a love-hate thing.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #27
George Noble

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
Because it's easy and cool to glorify strength (which is something CrossFit doesn't do that well) and look upon the building of muscular and cardiovascular endurance (which is something CrossFit does very well) as namby-pamby and/or dumb stuff.

Some peoples' idea of GPP involves primarily low-rep strength/power work with a pinch of (light) conditioning. Then you watch them try a 5K or something like Filthy Fifty and they get buried.
Except the top performers in the Games have either a strength background, do more strength work than is on the main page, or both. That is my understanding but I don't really follow the Games, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #28
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Crawford View Post
Crossfit is the cake; specialization is the cherry on top.
Not a fair characterization. I'd say Crossfit is one type of cake, one that some people out there might not like the taste of.

Quote:
The better question is name an athlete that would not benefit from adding in some crossfit programming into their training?
Powerlifters for example. Crossfit programming = doing everything and anything. I don't see the point for a powerlifter to run 10k. Claiming that swinging a heavy kettlebell or doing deadlift singles is Crossfit, is not a fair statement.

Quote:
I tend to believe that all communities worth being a part of have a little bit of an ego problem, I mean that is what makes America great, is it not. We have an unwavering sense of pride in what we believe in?
Everything in moderation. Pride is one thing, an overdeveloped sense of self-importance is another. Saying "I am the best, the fittest, the greatest" is bound to provoke hostility, even if said by somebody who just won the gold medal.

Quote:
So **** the haters.
Yup, statements like that will do it.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #29
George Noble

Profile:

Quote:
The better question is name an athlete that would not benefit from adding in some crossfit programming into their training?
George Noble.

That was pretty easy actually.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #30
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
Not a fair characterization. I'd say Crossfit is one type of cake, one that some people out there might not like the taste of.

Powerlifters for example. Crossfit programming = doing everything and anything. I don't see the point for a powerlifter to run 10k. Claiming that swinging a heavy kettlebell or doing deadlift singles is Crossfit, is not a fair statement.

Everything in moderation. Pride is one thing, an overdeveloped sense of self-importance is another. Saying "I am the best, the fittest, the greatest" is bound to provoke hostility, even if said by somebody who just won the gold medal.

Yup, statements like that will do it.
The thing is, fair or not, heavy deads and 2 pood swings show up in the WOD all the time. More often than 10ks. So if the MP WOD is a representation of CF then those things are CF.

Closed Thread